The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Micro Four Thirds first birthday

R

Ranger 9

So, has everyone seen the YouTube clip of Panasonic UK's first-birthday celebration, complete with red-G1-shaped cake?

On the one hand, I think: "Gee, can it be only a year since the Micro Four Thirds format was introduced?"

On the other hand, I think: "Kack, it's been a whole year. Where are all the lenses?!?!?"

Odd observation: Unless I'm miscounting, there are only six native lenses currently available (the three Pana zooms, the Oly zoom, the Oly pancake, and the Panacake just now making its way into distribution) plus one more (Pana 45 macro) due out soon. Not one independent-maker lens in sight, either. Strange.

This makes Micro Four Thirds the first format in recent photo history that offers more mount adapters than lenses! Readily available adapters I can recall offhand are standard Four Thirds, Leica M, Leica R, L39, C-mount, Canon FD, Nikon F, probably Pentax K (?) and Olympus OM, plus various one-offs and combinations...

Brian Mosley

Good point, in light of this, it would be good for Panasonic and Olympus to improve their Manual Focus assist controls...

4 bodies in the first year... shame the X1 wasn't no.5 :(

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

The most innovative camera that has ever kept my attention (G1, the rest are uh..) for the longest period.

The suckers pulled it off the shelf before the first anniversary and brought in a more expensive and less versatile camera.:wtf:

pellicle

Hi

This makes Micro Four Thirds the first format in recent photo history that offers more mount adapters than lenses! Readily available adapters I can recall offhand are standard Four Thirds, Leica M, Leica R, L39, C-mount, Canon FD, Nikon F, probably Pentax K (?) and Olympus OM, plus various one-offs and combinations...
yes, very interesting! I don't think there has ever been anything like this in camera history ... but then, perhaps we're seeing a camera which for the first time is intended to fit into history?

happy birthday

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
So, has everyone seen the YouTube clip of Panasonic UK's first-birthday celebration, complete with red-G1-shaped cake?

On the one hand, I think: "Gee, can it be only a year since the Micro Four Thirds format was introduced?"

On the other hand, I think: "Kack, it's been a whole year. Where are all the lenses?!?!?"

Odd observation: Unless I'm miscounting, there are only six native lenses currently available (the three Pana zooms, the Oly zoom, the Oly pancake, and the Panacake just now making its way into distribution) plus one more (Pana 45 macro) due out soon. Not one independent-maker lens in sight, either. Strange.

Are we being unfair? Isn't six lenses per year a good rate?

And we must not forget the thousands of legacy lenses, which are the ones I mostly use (just got my first Nikkor, and I'm so excited!)

Keith

R

Ranger 9

The suckers pulled it off the shelf before the first anniversary and brought in a more expensive and less versatile camera.:wtf:
I'm not disagreeing, just curious -- how is the GH1 less versatile than the G1?

V

Vivek

It is a combicam and if you recall the link you posted on the G1/GH1 comparison, the camera functions are better in a G1 than the GH1.

Pana and others (Sony excluded- they appear more earnest about photography than videos) are better off starting a new forum that would serve the combicam users and not get in the ways of anyone, IMHO.

When talking about combicams in a more photo oriented forum, this is going to be a factor (it is not just me that would or could bring this up) once the "initial decoration fad" wears off.

I'm not disagreeing, just curious -- how is the GH1 less versatile than the G1?

Diane B

It is (little)better and more versatile but far more expensive. And I would regret it, if I never used the video part of it.
Michiel
I don't have it--but those that have the 14-140 lens (like Terry) really really like it--particularly for travel. That would be probably the best of the purchase. The sensor is a bit larger and would allow one to use different ratio formats and maintain the 12MP--and I've heard it handles higher ISOs just a bit better than the G1. Since I have the G1, I'm totally content for now.

Diane

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
It is a combicam and if you recall the link you posted on the G1/GH1 comparison, the camera functions are better in a G1 than the GH1.

Pana and others (Sony excluded- they appear more earnest about photography than videos) are better off starting a new forum that would serve the combicam users and not get in the ways of anyone, IMHO.

When talking about combicams in a more photo oriented forum, this is going to be a factor (it is not just me that would or could bring this up) once the "initial decoration fad" wears off.
Vivek:

I agree. Keep the video stuff in another department. So Panasonic should not pull the G1 which is for people who want to take just photographs. Taking a video and taking a photograph are two completely different things. Mix them up on one platform then something will surely suffer. I don't agree with some of the gurus who think this is the natural path for digital imaging to follow.

Keith

R

Ranger 9

I'd like the idea of a still-photo-centric G-something-1, with the ability to shoot 12mp square pix and with the video items purged off the menus for more convenience in use.

But I doubt if it would cost significantly less than a GH1; most of the hardware stuff you need to do video, e.g. buffers, also has benefits for still photography, and the software/menu stuff is fairly easy to ignore. Given the additional complexity and cost of distributing an additional SKU that was essentially the same camera under the skin, I'm not sure there'd be much benefit in it, either for us users or for Pana.

V

Vivek

Given the additional complexity and cost of distributing an additional SKU that was essentially the same camera under the skin, I'm not sure there'd be much benefit in it, either for us users or for Pana.
That did not stop the "optional" EVF, did it? Why should that affect the video?

FWIW, stereo mic and such are still optional for the GH-1.

barjohn

I used to feel the same way but after traveling this summer with a camera with video capability it changed my mind. I got great shots with the camera but the couple of little videos I experimented with were a great little addition having both sight & sound with a tropical steel band to add a certain sense of flavor and bringing back the memory of beeing there. I also went to a friend's son's wedding and shot some video (mother son dance) and it came out amazing in low light and was a hit with the mom!

C

ChrisJ

(Sony excluded- they appear more earnest about photography than videos)
Could it be that's 'cos Sony also make camcorders, seems they keep the two separate maybe we should too.

I do agree with barjohn though video can add other dimensions.

Chris

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
The most innovative camera that has ever kept my attention (G1, the rest are uh..) for the longest period.

Vivek, unless I've misunderstood, you seem to be suggesting that the G1 has been discontinued (and/or "replaced" by the GF1). And yet, the G1 is still listed on various Panasonic sites (I checked the US, UK, Netherlands, and Australian sites) and it's available for sale in each of those countries. What am I missing?

I liked my first G1 so much that I bought another, since none of the alternative bodies appealed to me:
* GH1: I don't need video;
* GF1: I don't want to hold the camera at arm's length and the GH1 plus accessory EVF doesn't provide me with any significant advantages over the G1;
* E-P1: in-body IS is useful but again I don't want to hold the camera at arm's length.

If the E-P2 is essentially an E-P1 with an external EVF I'll pass on it too.

So here's hoping that if Panasonic do discontinue the G1, they'll replace it with a G2. I've owned dozens of cameras over the years but only a few have given me the pleasure I've received from the G1 combined with Pen F lenses.

Diane B

Could it be that's 'cos Sony also make camcorders, seems they keep the two separate maybe we should too.

I do agree with barjohn though video can add other dimensions.

Chris
Chris, Panasonic is a huge manufacturer of very good camcorders also--that's probably why they were able to come up with such a terrific EVF (as I understand it).

V

Vivek

I think it is because Sony are confident camcorder makers and are trying hard to make inroads into the still camera business.

Jonathon, I was told old stocks. Not sure how reliable that information is.

Yes, I do hope for a G2, EP-2 (with a decent finder and a decent LCD and no video)or a Fuji-1, etc.

The point is, just as you say, I am interested in still photography and not video or sound.

C

ChrisJ

Taking a video and taking a photograph are two completely different things.

Keith
Some of the best film directors, I'm thinking of Alfred Hitchcock mainly, were still photographers first, and it shows in their films, the next time you get the chance to see a Hitchcock film look at his framing and lighting, they really are like beautifully shot animated stills with sound.

Chris

V

Vivek

What a shame that Alfred passed away before the advent of the combicams.

pellicle

The most innovative camera that has ever kept my attention (G1, the rest are uh..) ....The suckers pulled it off the shelf before the first anniversary and brought in a more expensive and less versatile camera.:wtf:
but yet there is no mention of this on Panasonic site and I can find this on their site and also on BHPHOTO here listed as in stock.

so where is this "pullled it off their shelves" comming from? I belive it to be simply because of a thread you mentioned some time ago where a single seller discontinued selling it