The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 or GH1 – for specific needs

simonclivehughes

Lisa,

I had both the D300 and the 18-200 VR lens, and I have the GH1. Lens-wise, I don't think you are giving up a thing. The 14-140 is a super lens, as Jack points out. Where you may see the difference is with the G1/GH1/GF1 vs the D300. Personally, I am very happy with my G1 and GH1 and I just got my GF1 (and love it!), and I am at the point of selling my Nikon gear (D700 & primes now) and moving exclusively to the Micro4/3s system. I'm tired of the weight of the bigger system and the M4/3s gives me everything I need in IQ.

BTW, I loved the pictures on your website... I'm envious of all the places you've been. :)

Hope this helps.

Ciao,

JMaher

I think many of us are trying to get to that same point of less weight or size and a good enough system. I had a D700 for a very short period of time as well as a D90 (and many Nikon's in the past) Not having owned a G1 I still believe the Nikons are better cameras - better in low light, better speed, better flash options. However I am looking for "good enough" - something that produces excellent pictures in most circumstances and that is flexible enough to produce great shots with a little work. However my main criteria is light and small enough that I'll actually have it with me. I like the EP-1 but am already looking for more or perhaps in addition to. The G1 is what I am thinking about because of the better viewfinder but I would love the smaller size of the GF-1

Jim

Lisa

Thanks for the comments, Simon & Jim. That the lens is great is very encouraging. My two big concerns about the Nikon-to-M4/3 trade are:
(1) more noise at higher ISOs (like about 800, which I use occasionally)
(2) whether the GH1 & GF1 lack some functionality of the bigger DSLRs (exposure modes? mirror lock-up? anything?)

Anyone have any further comments on the subject?

I also wonder, if I go the GF1 route, whether I can get accustomed to going without a viewfinder. (Yes, I know that you can add an external one, but at that point the camera with the viewfinder has gotten larger enough that you might as well go for the GH1 in order to get good video too.)

Lisa

Audii-Dudii

My two big concerns about the Nikon-to-M4/3 trade are:
(1) more noise at higher ISOs (like about 800, which I use occasionally)
(2) whether the GH1 & GF1 lack some functionality of the bigger DSLRs (exposure modes? mirror lock-up? anything?)
Um, neither the GH1 nor GF1 have mirrors to lock-up... :rolleyes:

simonclivehughes

Lisa,

Personally, I have no issue pushing the G1/GH1/GF1 to 800 or even to 1600. If you expose well, there is a minimum of noise present, and what is there can be dealt with by a NR program such as Noise Ninja etc. There will be more chrominance noise than you would expect from the D300, but not to the point you are precluded from producing good images. The higher ISOs are wonderful for moody B&W work.

Coming from a film background, I find the obsession with noise to be completely overblown. I remember loving the higher ISO films specifically for their grain characteristics. Remember Agfa 1000 colour film? The grain was like golf balls but soooo nice! Check out Sheila Metzner's usage of that particular film.

As to functionality, no mirror, so no mirror lockup. Exposure mode-wise I don't find any deficits. If anything, you get more bells and whistles than on the D300, but it's easy enough to ignore the chaff and concentrate on the wheat. :)

Probably the biggest difference handling-wise is the speed of shooting etc.

Re using the GF1 without an EVF, again, personally I hate holding a camera out in front of me... it goes against the grain so to speak. I'm looking forward to getting the EVF but will use a CV 35mm OVF in the meantime.

Ciao,

JMaher

Lisa,

I have an EP-1 and 1600 ISO is very usable and fairly close to my memory of the D90 at the same ISO. I don' t hesitate to use this. If I understand correctly you should see the same (very close anyway) results on either the GH-1 or the GF-1 but lose a half or full stop on the G1.

As for getting away with no viewfinder - I don't know. From posts on this forum I believe the LCD on the Pen is more versatile although with less resolution but both are good. However I am thinking of adding a G1 or G1 specifically to add a viewfinder (and a low light assist lamp). I like the Pen a lot - but its not a camera for every situation.

Jim

Lisa

Thanks for the GH1 & GF1 comments, all. (And of course there's no mirror to lock up! Momentary brain glitch.:sleep006:) It sounds promising. I'll go by my local big camera store sometime soon and see how they are "in hand", and hopefully take a test image or two to compare with my D300.

Of course, when I talk about trying one out, my spouse says, "But I always carry the cameras anyway..." (Of course, I'd carry them more often if the weight of the camera bag didn't hurt my shoulder!) But then he thinks I should get a Nikon D700 instead, going heavier instead of lighter. Decisions, decisions...

Lisa