The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 or GH1 – for specific needs

JMaher

I know everyone here is enamored with their new GF! cameras but I don’t think I plan to go there.

I have an EP-1 and I am having fun with it and really like the built in stabilization. I took some pictures at an audio club event (another expensive hobby) the other night and while they weren’t the best I have ever taken they were acceptable and all with the 17, 1600 ISO and an average speed of 1/15 of a second. Other than lusting after the new 20mm I am happy with my results.

However (always an however) I don’t find using legacy lenses are fun with the Pen as the screen resolution seems lacking for this use (not knocking it as I love the wide viewing angle, etc) and the camera is virtually useless in many low light situations as the lack of a focusing aid makes focus lock very problematic.

I have an E3 I can use but I really like carrying a camera with much less weight and I am thinking of selling the E3. From all the praise I have seen the G1 looks like a great add on to my collection. It’s obviously much less expensive than the GH1. What, if anything do I lose (except video – which I don’t use on the EP-1) would I be missing with a G1 versus a GH-1? Have I waited too long to buy a G1 (grin)?

Jim

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jim,
I don't have the GH1 to compare to my G1, but if you are not interested in video, then why pay the price (unless you want that nice 14-140 lens).
A friend of mine just got a new G1 on Monday. She was able to find the G1 in stock at B&H and Samy's.
The G1 will be much easier to focus with legacy lenses than the E-P1.
Maybe Terry will chime in as she has both G1 and GH1.

cdnguyen

I stick with G1 myself. It has LCD and EVF both. I don't think there's a differenc in IQ between G1 and GH1 except at 16:9.

simonclivehughes

There is about a stop better ISO performance on the GH1 compared to the G1. This has been discussed on the fora and I've seen it myself. Not necessarily a deal-breaker though IMHO as the G1 delivers excellent results.

Cheers,

Audii-Dudii

Further to the above, I have a G1 but am curious how it would compare to the GH1 for the type of photography I do. Specifically, I'm curious about how well it performs in low-light situations shot at ISO100 with long-ish exposures and the camera on a tripod ... nighttime stuff, in other words, such as this:

and this:

and this:

I'm actually surprised (and pleased) by how well the G1 acquits itself in this application, but I'd be happier still if it reached just a bit further into the shadows, as I gather the GH1 does. The problem, though, is while everybody and their brother is focused on how well these cameras perform in low-light conditions at ISO800 and 1600 and 3200, none of this matters for my purposes and nobody, it seems, is focused on how well they perform with 15-60 second exposures at ISO100. While it's possible to lift the shadows a bit during post-processing, this also lifts the noise and that's what I find problematic at times.

I realize I'm asking a lot of a low-to-midpriced camera and neither the G1 nor the GH1 is ideal for my purposes, but I like working with Live View on an articulating LCD (must be the view-camera user in me!) and I also like the 4:3 format, so short of stepping up to an MF digital back (which I'll no doubt do eventually, just not until the economy improves and I'm more comfortable dropping big bucks on toys) there aren't many options open to me.

Hence my question: Has anybody, anywhere compared the G1 to the GH1 under these conditions? I'm very tempted to replace my G1 with a GH1, but only if I can expect a decent improvement in this respect as all of the other features (especially video ... no "convergence" for me, thank you!) are irrelevant to me. So, if you can shed any light on this, I'd love to hear from you!

JMaher

Audii-Dudii

I am curious to see what others say about your question as well as mine. Off topic - I really like your second shot.

Jim
To others who have responded so quickly - thanks.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My take, FWIW:

1) G1 is an outstanding camera, especially for the money.

2) GH1 is equally outstanding, and IMO is worth considering but probably only if you are interested in shooting HD video or just have to have that 14-140 lens.

3) GF1 I view as a compact version of the G1. It adds a more basic form of HD video, but has no articulating LCD and requires and add-on if you want a live VF.

So, my .02 is that if you primarily shoot stills and the G1 isn't overly large for you, then it is an outstanding choice. If you want something more compact or the occasional HD video, the GF1 is worth considering. If you are going to shoot a lot of HD video, then the GH1 makes sense.

Finally, if one already owns a G1 and wants a second body, the GF1 or GH1 might be viable choices for their differences.

Cheers,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Audi-Dudii, really like those images -- great compositions and effect. #1 is my favorite -- I like the muted tone as-is, but would also like to see it in B&W :thumbs:

Audii-Dudii

Audi-Dudii, really like those images -- great compositions and effect. #1 is my favorite -- I like the muted tone as-is, but would also like to see it in B&W :thumbs:
Thanks for the kind words! I thought they looked a bit bland in plain B&W, so I've been experimenting with a hybrid approach whereby I combine a nearly desaturated color version with a toned B&W version. Here's another one from the same area, shot last Friday night:

Last edited:
V

Vivek

The shadow noise (at base ISO) of these cameras are pretty much the same.

Any marginal differences are just splitting hair.

The G1 is the cheapest and the most versatile of the lot for still photography.

The GF!, OTOH, is over priced and underspecd for its cute package. It won't let you use 3rds party batteries also while the G1 does not self destruct when 3rd party batteries are used.

Audii-Dudii

Audii-Dudii

I am curious to see what others say about your question as well as mine. Off topic - I really like your second shot.
Thanks! Here's one of the burned-out building across the street (I cheated a bit on this one and used my LED Maglite to "paint" the building with light, but I kind of like how it turned out):

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Audii, I like that one too, but still prefer #1 in the series ;) FWIW, I did pull that image into CS, convert it to B&W and liked it a lot, however it takes on a totally different feel compared to the muted color tones you present. All said and done, I like your processing on these as is -- kudos!

Diane B

I really like all of those--and like the processing quite a lot. I really would like to shoot that type of subject but never feel comfortable shooting by myself in those areas at night. It also means I have to go into a city that I don't know all that well so I just don't.

I'd like to see more--#1 is my favorite also, but they are a terrific series.

Diane

Audii-Dudii

I really like all of those--and like the processing quite a lot. I really would like to shoot that type of subject but never feel comfortable shooting by myself in those areas at night. It also means I have to go into a city that I don't know all that well so I just don't.
Yes, this can be a dodgy neighborhood at night. I always have my three-cell Maglite with me and at times, I "pack heat" as well (fortunately, Arizona is an open-carry state and I actually want the deterrent effect of having a gun visible on my hip). So far, though, the only bad encounters I've had have been with security guards who think it's somehow illegal for me to photograph buildings and alleys from public streets and sidewalks and who are always calling the police on me accordingly. :-(

I'd like to see more--#1 is my favorite also, but they are a terrific series.
No series yet, as I've just started, but that's the plan now that I've pretty much finished my "Superior after Dark" project whereby I photographed the mining town of Superior, AZ at night from May through August of this year.

Lisa

A question about the 14-140 lens - some posters are implying that you need to get the GH1 instead of the G1 if you want that lens. Why is that??? Is the 14-140 only available as a kit with the GH1, or is it incompatible with the G1 for some reason?

Thanks,
Lisa

photoSmart42

A question about the 14-140 lens - some posters are implying that you need to get the GH1 instead of the G1 if you want that lens. Why is that??? Is the 14-140 only available as a kit with the GH1, or is it incompatible with the G1 for some reason?

Thanks,
Lisa
I've seen the 14-140 available by itself, although I suspect you'll be much better off switching between the 14-45 and the 45-200 for a lot less money (unless you really want one lens that has that range). I think part of the expense of the 14-140 is that it was designed specifically to work better as a video lens, so that functionality might be wasted on the G1.

V

Vivek

Here (in Holland) the 14-140 zoom is listed separately or even as a bundle with the G1.

But as photosmart42 says, it is specially designed to be quiet for video (with sound) recording.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The 14-140 is compatible, just near impossible to find by itself. It is part of the kit for the GH1 and is desirable for a few reasons:

1) It is an awesome range;

2) It focuses lightning fast;

3) It is virtually silent AF, so won't interfere with the sound on your video capture as it continually focuses.

4) It is also excellent optically.

madmaxmedia

I think the G1 would be a great choice. I don't think the video and slightly better high ISO is worth the extra money based on your stated intentions with the camera. Plus if you ever do want to shoot video, you have the EP-1 already.

G1 LCD and EVF are really great, and those aren't better with the GH1.

Lisa

The 14-140 is compatible, just near impossible to find by itself. It is part of the kit for the GH1 and is desirable for a few reasons:
Thanks, Jack. I've been toying with the idea of getting one to use sometimes in place of my Nikon D300 with 18-200 VR lens, which is great, except that it's just too heavy for me to carry comfortably for very long. The GH1 or GF1 with the 14-140 lens would have about the same coverage (because I hate changing lenses when I'm in a hurry to get the shot), but be a heck of a lot lighter. Do you (or anyone else here) have any idea how much image quality I'd be giving up in going from my current setup to either a GH1 or GF1 with that 14-140 lens? Has anyone done any comparisons with similar cameras?

Thanks,
Lisa