The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Morris Midi Di optical slave to G1 compatibility

I recently purchased a G1 (due to all the good buzz here about M4/3) and am trying to find a little more flash power to augment the onboard strobe. I have a pair of Morris Midi optical slaves left over from shooting with a P&S film camera but they don’t work with the G1 because of its pre-flash. Morris also makes a Digital Midi slave but the compatibility with the G1 was unknown even after a call to the Morris folks. Note: The Digital Midi is known to be compatible with Nikon & Canon but not with Sony or Olympus flash systems according to the B&H site.

I finally found one locally and the dealer was kind enough to allow me to run a quick test in the store. The Midi Digital optical slave (Morris P/N: 11275-D) is indeed compatible with the Panasonic G1 when placed in pre-flash mode (and I would assume the GH1 and GF1 as well). B&H has these for $68 each.

The unit is about 2.5” x 2.5” x 1.3125”, weighs 3 oz, two AA cell power, guide number of 42ft (full power) and 20ft (half power) at ISO 100. It has the following controls & functions:

Power on/off switch.
P-mode/N-mode switch (P=Preflash, N= Normal)
Full-Power/Half-Power switch.
1/4 x 20 thread in the base for tripod mount.
Recycle time ~ 5 sec.
Diffuser (removable) over the flash tube.

I bought two Midi Di’s in order to shoot an HO gage model railroad layout in a very long and narrow room (13’ x 65’) but they are very useful whenever you need fill (half power) or to augment (full power) a rather anemic onboard camera flash.

HTH
Paul

Last edited:

slosync

Interesting information Paul, can we see a couple pictures of the model rairoad using the optical slaves?

Cheers,
Don

I recently purchased a G1 (due to all the good buzz here about M4/3) and am trying to find a little more flash power to augment the onboard strobe. I have a pair of Morris Midi optical slaves left over from shooting with a P&S film camera but they don’t work with the G1 because of its pre-flash. Morris also makes a Digital Midi slave but the compatibility with the G1 was unknown even after a call to the Morris folks. Note: The Digital Midi is known to be compatible with Nikon & Canon but not with Sony or Olympus flash systems according to the B&H site.

I finally found one locally and the dealer was kind enough to allow me to run a quick test in the store. The Midi Digital optical slave (Morris P/N: 11275-D) is indeed compatible with the Panasonic G1 when placed in pre-flash mode (and I would assume the GH1 and GF1 as well). B&H has these for $68 each.

The unit is about 2.5” x 2.5” x 1.3125”, weighs 3 oz, two AA cell power, guide number of 42ft (full power) and 20ft (half power) at ISO 100. It has the following controls & functions:

Power on/off switch.
P-mode/N-mode switch (P=Preflash, N= Normal)
Full-Power/Half-Power switch.
1/4 x 20 thread in the base for tripod mount.
Recycle time ~ 5 sec.
Diffuser (removable) over the flash tube.

I bought two Midi Di’s in order to shoot an HO gage model railroad layout in a very long and narrow room (13’ x 65’) but they are very useful whenever you need fill (half power) or to augment (full power) a rather anemic onboard camera flash.

HTH
Paul