The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Generic batteries for GF1, GH1 & G1

Terry

No because you can't use them. The Panasonic batteries are chipped and the firmware precludes using generics. If you have old firmware you can perhaps still get around it however, I don't have a source.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

YES, You Can!

on the G1 and GH-1 with the proper firmwares. Some are not only cheaper but last longer as well.

Pana disabled this to start with, in their over priced GF-1. They have not given any proof that all 3rd party batteries will damage their cam nor have they approved any 3rd party manufacturer.

Many official Pana dealers continue to sell 3rd party batteries and Panasonic have not said anything against that.

Based on this, they are out to make an extra buck on the battery.

(Search for posts from "Hot" here and you will get your answers.)

Brian Mosley

I have downloaded the 'rogue' firmware v1.4 upgrade for the G1 which doesn't lock out 3rd party batteries... but I don't find it necessary to have a spare - the battery lasts very well, at least a whole day of shooting for me.

If anyone would like a copy of the firmware for their G1, just let me know...

Cheers

Brian

gfspencer

I have downloaded the 'rogue' firmware v1.4 upgrade for the G1 which doesn't lock out 3rd party batteries... but I don't find it necessary to have a spare - the battery lasts very well, at least a whole day of shooting for me.

If anyone would like a copy of the firmware for their G1, just let me know...

Cheers

Brian
:thumbup: The battery lasts a very, very long time compared to other batteries in other cameras.

If I buy a camera that costs me over $1,000 (with a viewfinder and extra lens) I am going to spend a few extra bucks and get a Panasonic battery.

(I put a third party battery in my cell phone. The battery expanded to about twice its size. I don't want that happening to my cameras . . . but that's just me.)

J

jerryk

So how long does the battery last? 500, 1000 shots? or 3,000+ like the 1DMK3.:)

jsnack

I've never had a problem with generic batteries in any of my (Nikon, Canon) cameras...all of them worked exactly like the oem ones, including one I used for my LX1.

I'm usually out shooting all day. An extra battery or 2 is a must for me. I don't mind buying a Panasonic extra, but why spend the money when something else might work just as well.

slau

My experience with my GH1, the battery can last almost 6 hours or around 300 shots. I usually set my camera with Power Save @ 2 min and use practically the LVF only. I have been out with my G1/GH1 a few full day trips now and have only exhausted the Panasonic battery once or twice. No, you don't get the 3000 shots as in the 1DMk3 but good enough. Having an extra battery is part of the reason why I am keeping my G1 too.

V

Vivek

Nice link, Lupo! :D You made my day!:D

From that link:

New Li-Ion ID-Security Rechargeable Replacement Battery. This battery is fully-decoded and 100% compatible with most current firmware version v1.2 or later. Works wonderfully for:

Panasonic DMC-G1, DMCG1
Panasonic DMC-GF1, DMCGF1
It says:

Availability: In stock soon. Order now to get in line. First come first served.

Pana "special" batt is decoded!:D:D:D:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

pellicle

Hi

my experience is here on a flickr group ...

but essentially I said:

Hi

last night I decided to use my G1 as a copy stand camera using a FD series lens. With a full charge under my belt I produced over 1000 images in around 60 minutes in copying some (computer) workshop manuals.

When I had finished my battery meter still showed full bars

I used the screen at all times to confirm the registration of the documents in the frame.

Considering the DPReview stated 330 images I'm pleased.

J

jerryk

Hi

my experience is here on a flickr group ...

but essentially I said:
Those are great results. Mine are much closer to the rated performance. At about 350 or so I am down to 1 bar. I have a second battery on order.

henningw

Each time Panasonic upgrades the firmware, older 3rd party batteries don't work anymore. Then the companies that make them reverse engineer the chip, and things are OK again.

This is the most onerous anti-3rd party battery strategy I've seen. Most cameras don't mind, and on some the state of the charge isn't displayed correctly, but that's rare.

I've bought third party batteries for various cameras in the last 10 years, and have saved in the order of $3000 in total. I've had third party batteries fail, but not even at as high a rate as OEM batteries; the capacity of third party batteries usually gets better than OEM batteries and there have been no true failures.

There's no way I'm paying $60 to $150 for a battery that I can get for $10-15 delivered, that offers equal or better performance.

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

I'm still a happy user of non-decoded third party accus. Because I do not upgrade the firmware of my G1 anymore. I'm happy with the way the camera works now, and anyway, has anybody ever seen some important difference in photographic results after a firmware upgrade ??????

Have a nice evening,
Rafael

J

jerryk

Each time Panasonic upgrades the firmware, older 3rd party batteries don't work anymore. Then the companies that make them reverse engineer the chip, and things are OK again.

This is the most onerous anti-3rd party battery strategy I've seen. Most cameras don't mind, and on some the state of the charge isn't displayed correctly, but that's rare.
Canon has adopted a similar strategy with it's latest DSLRs. With non chipped Canon batteries:

1) Their chargers will not work.
2) When you power up the camera it generates a communications error message that you must acknowledge
3) The LCD does not display the remaining charge in the battery.
4) The menu system does display the ability of battery to take another charge.

I could be worse. Apple has gone to internal batteries with it's portable devices and latest laptops. Battery swap is return for service.

Godfrey

I'm as cheap and as broke as any other photographer I know (most! ;-), but I almost always buy OEM batteries from whatever manufacturer makes the camera regardless of price. It just makes good sense to me ... the battery is just as essential a piece of equipment as the lens and the memory storage card, if not moreso, and I like to be absolutely sure that I'm not going to have any problems with camera and batteries.

I feel the same way about remote cables too. You usually get what you pay for with these things.

L

Linh

YES, You Can!
... in their over priced GF-1. ....
really? sheesh.

Anyway, I wouldn't risk the 3rd party battery unless you're sure you never will upgrade the firmware. I have nothing against good 3rd party batteries, I use em in my 20D/40D. $12 vs $60 x 5-6 is a lot of money, and the BP511's are fairly proven.

However, I get the feeling we're entering an era like chipped ink carts. Canon's new batteries look to be that way, tho I think you can still use 3rd party, just lose out on the features it has, so not as bad as panasonic.

I did buy the panasonic spare, but not sure if I'll keep it. A single battery seems to last forever with my GF1+EVF. But it's handy to have. Since I don't need more than 1, I can live with it.