The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Does GF-1 make sense with M8 and S90?

peterm1

I recently purchased a M8 and love it, and just ordered the new Canon S90IS for a point and shoot I can carry around in my pocket. I also shoot with the Nikon D700 for sports or some landscape.

I am attracted to the GF-1 for its small size, nice f/1.7 20mm lens, ability to use my M lenses with adapter, and very good video. However, I am having a hard time justifying the purchase, since anytime I want something bigger and better than my S90, and smaller than the D700, I would reach for the M8. I have a hard time buying the GF-1 mainly for the video.

For those with an M8/M9 and a GF-1 (or are planning to get a GF-1), what are the main reasons you are getting it and when do you see yourself using it instead of the M8/M9?

Thanks,

Peter

Terry

I guess to me the interchangeable pair would be the S90 vs. the GF1. The GF1 with pancake is pretty small. Not pocket but more jacket pocket. Why don't you wait and see how you use the S90 for a bit before jumping in to the GF1

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Peter,
Terry gave you good advice. I have a Nikon DSLR, M8 and G1/GF1. I use the GF1 to carry everywhere. It is always in my purse (as the G1 was before). I would think that there would be no need for both the S90 and the GF1. The GF1 would not be as pocketable as the S90, but would have a bigger sensor. I don't use video, so that doesn't factor into the equation for me.
I use the M8 for the pure pleasure of using a rangefinder and the high quality files. It is too big/too heavy to carry in my purse.
I had both the D700 and the S5 this summer and decided to keep only the S5. I use it when I need the dynamic range and longer reach.

peterm1

Thanks. Since I don't usually carry a bag, I really want a camera I can carry in my pockets, and the GF-1 is generally too big for that (except cargo pants). For someone who carries a pocketbook or bag, I think the GF-1 would be great.

Peter

retow

As the shirt pocketable solution, I use the GRD III, the M8 for RF fun, lens and file quality and GF1 with 20mm and 14-45mm (until last week it was the EP1) for convenience, versatility and portability. A m4/3 camera with zoom and M adapter nicely complements the M8 on a longer trip. The issue is that the M8 has seen very little use since I had the EP1 and now the GF1, convenience, weight and size advantage coupled with not to much compromising on file quality make me reach for the GF1.

barjohn

Assuming the S90 files look as good as those shown on the DPR preview, I plan to get one as the carry everywhere in a pocket camera. The GF1 is more for deliberate shooting where I want high IQ.

The funny thing is that I think we are much too critical about IQ. I have some framed shots I took with the Canon G7 at ISO 100 and you can still see the noise in the sky (which bothers me) but I printed them at 13" x 19" because I liked the shots and I get all kind of compliments on those images and not one person says look at the noise in the sky on those pictures. :)

peterm1

I'd like to see a comparison of M8 files (including high ISO) with GF-1 files using the same Leica M lenses. Maybe someone on this site can oblige? ;)

J

jerryk

My 2 cents is if I had an m8 I think I would have a hard time justifying a GF1.

nostatic

For women, the GF1 (or E-P1) makes great sense. This has nothing to do with gender, but rather that many carry a purse or other bag, and either of those with a small pancake will generally fit well. Those of us stuck with a Y chromosome generally don't carry a bag everywhere, so the u4/3 becomes a bit of a challenge. I'm looking at getting the S90 to replace the DLux4 as I miss the days of my old digital Elph that actually did fit in my pocket. I think if the only other camera is a FF dSLR, then some "middle ground" could work. In my case I would like something to pack on the motorcycle that doesn't take as much space as the 5D2, but gives me more iq than the small sensor. If you already have an M8, not sure how much play the GF1 would get. I've come close to pulling the trigger on the GF1 a number of times after selling the E-P1, but for some reason I haven't done it yet. Either I'm waiting to hear more about the X1, or I'm still in the mode of getting L glass for the Canon and my budget is creaking :p

gfspencer

My 2 cents is if I had an m8 I think I would have a hard time justifying a GF1.
I understand what you are saying but . . .

I can justify the two because IMHO the M8 and the GF-1 are totally different cameras. For one thing, it takes time to focus a rangefinder. With the GF-1 I can fire away. (Have you ever tried to photograph two active granddaughters with a rangefinder camera? :shocked: It's hard to do.)

There is also a matter of risk as it relates to cost. I ride a motorcycle (BMW R1200GS). Quite often I am banging around on dirt roads. If I drop my bike I would much rather have the cheaper GF-1 (not inexpensive but definitely less expensive) in my tank bag.

And finally I considered the fact that I can use my Leica M lenses on the GF-1. I hate to say this but I actually trust the "electronics" in the GF-1 more than I trust the "electronics" in the M8. If my M8 dies I can still use my lenses (because I sure can't afford an M9 right now).

J

jerryk

I understand what you are saying but . . .

I can justify the two because IMHO the M8 and the GF-1 are totally different cameras. For one thing, it takes time to focus a rangefinder. With the GF-1 I can fire away. (Have you ever tried to photograph two active granddaughters with a rangefinder camera? :shocked: It's hard to do.)

There is also a matter of risk as it relates to cost. I ride a motorcycle (BMW R1200GS). Quite often I am banging around on dirt roads. If I drop my bike I would much rather have the cheaper GF-1 (not inexpensive but definitely less expensive) in my tank bag.

And finally I considered the fact that I can use my Leica M lenses on the GF-1. I hate to say this but I actually trust the "electronics" in the GF-1 more than I trust the "electronics" in the M8. If my M8 dies I can still use my lenses (because I sure can't afford an M9 right now).
Based on these, why do you have the M8? If the reason for keeping it is because it takes better pictures than why wouldn't you want to take better shots on your bike trips. I carry my 1 and 5 series Canon and a bag for L lenses on my BMW and used to carry my Nikon's on my MX and Enduro bikes without damage even after dozens of crashes. I suspect the M8 is a tougher than my F1 was.

Also, the original poster has the grandkids covered with a s90 and a D700.

gfspencer

Based on these, why do you have the M8?
Well, I like shots that you can get using the M8 and Leica lenses. :thumbup: And I have been a Leica fan since I had my first M6. :thumbup: And you need to consider the fact that this is not exactly a good time to sell an M8. I would probably take a huge loss. :thumbdown:

I guess I have different cameras for different situations. (I have a DSLR for nature shots.)

Maybe a better question would be, "If you are not a professional photographer can you justify the cost of any expensive camera?" I am not a pro so I probably can't justify any camera purchase. So I buy cameras strictly on emotion. I like the GF-1. I like M8s. I don't see anything wrong with having both.

I suspect the M8 is a tougher than my F1 was.
I would guess that an M6 or an M7 would be tougher than an F1 but not an M8. M8s seem to be susceptible to the elements (moisture and dust). Never-the-less, I have carried my M8 in my side case but that can be a pain. I've got to stop, dismount, take off my helmet, open the side case, open the camera bag, pull out the camera and take the picture . . . and then reverse the process to get under way again. Unless I see something spectacular I usually just keep on riding. On the other hand, the GF-1 fits easily in my tank bag. I can stop the bike, pull out the camera and take a picture without removing my helmet. Then I reverse the process and I'm back on the road in just a minute or two.

One more thing . . . I can't shoot video with an M8. I can shoot video with the GF-1. I don't know if I will . . . but I can if I want to. :D

Last edited:

cdnguyen

I have both Dlux 4 and G1 and think the D lux4 will win out as companion to my M8 since it has similar Leica optical signature and 3d like image rendition. If you want to carry a GF-1 the I would just take the M8. The D lux 4 is pretty compact to lug around and yields great pictures.

Paratom

good question.
I also own a M9, DSLR and also a small digicam.
Why would I be tempted by the gf1?
1) video - I never have been a great fan of video but lately (my wife owns a gh1) I like to have this option here and then.
2) so far no "digicam" with small sensor has really made me happy regarding image quality (tried several ones including grd, gx100). I have tried the dp2 which is fine regarding micro detail and DR but even this camera has some problems. I find the skin tones not that great, higher iso doesnt work well, and the movie mode is bad (other than that the detail and tones/ DR is great)
So the gf1 is one of the most compact large sensor cameras.
3) flash - some times it is nice to have a flash in camera - you dont have one i your M8
4) value - I bring my M8/M9 nearly everywhere - but maybe there are some occasions where you would not want to bring a combo which costs several thousand Dollar.
5) gf1 vs EP1 - One big argument for me is the 20/1.7 which is faster and seems to be a better lens than the 17mm Oly lens. Ep1 plus is IS in the camera. The other thing I prefer about the gf1 is the included flash. And then you have the option of the EVF (I am not a fan of EVF)

Summary: The gf1 could fit in where you would want to bring a camera with good image quality have the option of a flash/ have video/ have the option to use a zoom or longer tele-lens.

I could see to bring it on a mountain hike (light weight), a city walk at the evening, a walk at the beach.

AF is not really an argument for me. I beliebe I can focus faster with the M8/9 - AF would be an argument if we talk about the d700/d3.

Paratom

but then...when would you want to shoot with the gf1 when you own a M8/M9 with a "nice" 28mm or 35mm or 50mm lens? :bugeyes:

J

JohnW

Peter,

I use a 5DII and LX3, and I tried an EP-1 for a while. I returned it because it just did not fit into that mix. Too big for a pocket or reasonable sized belt case. And if I'm going to carry a bag, I may as well take the Canon. Plus, I realized I just did not want to introduce another system into my life. My guess is you'd grab the M8.

John