The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Macro-Elmarit 45 mm F2.8 Macro: field trial

Terry

Well, my regular GF1 or G1 travel kit would be this:

7-14, 14-140, 20mm, 45mm

With this kit I get everything I need and the 45 macro gives me a faster lens for portraits and macro.

This kit very easily fits (along with mobile phone wallet etc) in a small bag or my North Face waist pack that also has a (detachable) shoulder strap.

T

terryc

After a bit of personal debate I bought the 45mm F2.8 lens. I was picking-up a couple of things yesterday and low and behold the camera store I deal with had two copies - now one. It is pricey but well built and I love the lenshood. Considering the fact it is a 1:1 macro lens I am impressed with how fast it focuses on the GF1.

I haven't yet spent a lot of time with it to this point - but price aside what I have seen so far makes this a must have lens for m4/3. I have feeling it won't becoming off the camera anytime soon.

I was just a little buffaloed by the dpreview - review of the lens and that slowed me down purchase wise - my advice is take that review with a grain of salt.

On another topic - if you are using Lightroom consider buying the XRITE ColorChecker Passport - best 100$ I have spent - or your could ask Santa to consider it as a Christmas gift. This will help your RAW results with LR...

Merry Christmas and or Happy Holidays to all.

Cheers, Terry.

Terry

On another topic - if you are using Lightroom consider buying the XRITE ColorChecker Passport - best 100$ I have spent - or your could ask Santa to consider it as a Christmas gift. This will help your RAW results with LR...

Cheers, Terry.
TerryC,
Can you go through your exact steps for making the profiles for the GF1. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the "automatic" profiling to work with the GF1 the same way I could with other cameras.

Thanks,
Terry B

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I was told by XRite that the profiler does not work in Lightroom 3 beta yet. They told me to make a DNG, run it through the standalone profiler and then bring it into LR3. I can make the profile, but can't get it into LR no matter what I do. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

pellicle

Hi

The real question on price comparison should be between the 45mm and the 14-45mm. Is the 45mm $600 better?
from where I sit if you don't intend to focus at very close distances I would doubt it.

But then I want to focus at distances which the 14-45 will not.

stuff like this

T

terryc

TerryC,
Can you go through your exact steps for making the profiles for the GF1. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the "automatic" profiling to work with the GF1 the same way I could with other cameras.

Thanks,
Terry B
Hi Terry,

I shoot the target (tight on the color chart) - then do an export out of LR 2.6 using ColorChecker passport - at that point it asks for a profile name and within 30 secords or so it reports that it succeeded in making a profile and Bob's your uncle. Seems to work flawlessly and I like the results created for the GF1

Happy Holidays and best regards, Terry.

pellicle

Got the lens today... Santa came early I guess. :)
nice ... if you don't mind a question, how well does the IOS work ... I mean when focused on something hand held at say 15cm ... your image looks lovely, I'm guessing it wasn't tripod based?

Terry

Cindy and Terry,
when you take a shot of the color chart the simple way to make a profile in LR2 is to export and click on the bar in the dialgoue box and it will automatically make the profile. This automatic bit did not work for the G cameras (it did work for my other cameras)when it first came out. I wrote to Xrite and then sent them a sample at their request, but I never heard back after that. There was a way to get it to work but I believe you had to export as a different file type. My question: is this still the only way to do it?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I have not used LR since version 1. I have been a C1 fan. I just downloaded LR3 beta after you suggested it, Terry. I really like using it again (and will purchase it), but the Passport would not work. I wrote XRite and they said that the Beta3 does not work with the Passport yet and suggested the work-around. The thing that they did not explain to me, was how to get the profile back into LR3 after it was made in the external software. I have written back and asked for clarification, but so far have not received it. I'll post when I do, unless someone here knows the answer.

T

terryc

Cindy and Terry,
when you take a shot of the color chart the simple way to make a profile in LR2 is to export and click on the bar in the dialgoue box and it will automatically make the profile. This automatic bit did not work for the G cameras (it did work for my other cameras)when it first came out. I wrote to Xrite and then sent them a sample at their request, but I never heard back after that. There was a way to get it to work but I believe you had to export as a different file type. My question: is this still the only way to do it?
Hi Terry, I am bit confused. I do this all in Lightroom 2.6.

I load the target image; chose export, export gives me several choices including ColorCheck Passport which is my choice; a dialog pops-up asking me to name the profile; from there on it automatically creates the profile and puts it in place for Lightroom to see it. I restart LR and the new profile is available. Beyond that you can simply chose Export work through the various options.

Best regards, Terry.

Godfrey

nice ... if you don't mind a question, how well does the IOS work ... I mean when focused on something hand held at say 15cm ... your image looks lovely, I'm guessing it wasn't tripod based?
Optical Image Stabilization ... OIS ...

Don't expect miracles. Camera image stabilization systems are not designed for macro magnification ranges.

Terry

OK I will go back and try again with LR 2.6. I hadn't tried it with Version 2.6 but for sure the automatic export function did not work with the Panasonic cameras in late September so perhaps somethig changed in LR to allow for this. I know early on a few of us had the same problem and X-rite did ackowledge it in my emails. I would say user error on my part but at that time other cameras were working perfectly using the exact same key strokes.

Last edited:

Godfrey

I have not used LR since version 1. I have been a C1 fan. I just downloaded LR3 beta after you suggested it, Terry. I really like using it again (and will purchase it), but the Passport would not work. I wrote XRite and they said that the Beta3 does not work with the Passport yet and suggested the work-around. The thing that they did not explain to me, was how to get the profile back into LR3 after it was made in the external software. I have written back and asked for clarification, but so far have not received it. I'll post when I do, unless someone here knows the answer.
Presuming that the Xrite software is producing a .DCP file (that is, a "camera calibration profile"), that goes into the the folder at the path below (Mac OS X):

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/Camera/{camera-name}/{profile-name}.DCP

JBurnett

Don't expect miracles. Camera image stabilization systems are not designed for macro magnification ranges.
Absolutely!

45mm with OIS (2), 1/250 & 1/500 at f4. Subjects are about the size of medium-to-small blueberries. Trying to handhold, the berries were going in and out of focus like the after-effects of a large amount of Irish whiskey! :)

Earlier in the year -- Oly 35mm, 1/40 at f5.6. A sharper shot, but I had something to lean my body and arm against.

Mea culpa for all of them -- both my tripod and my monopod were sitting at home. Doh!