The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Macro-Elmarit 45 mm F2.8 Macro: field trial

nostatic

hmm...I am excited about this lens, but those shots just don't thrill me (though I think it has to do with sensor size rather than the glass).

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
hmm...I am excited about this lens, but those shots just don't thrill me (though I think it has to do with sensor size rather than the glass).
I've been looking forward to seeing some results from this lens. I wonder if the lackluster results are rather a consequence of the fact that we're looking at JPEGs (either from the camera or from perhaps less than optimum post-processing with ACR) combined with hand-holding the GF1 + 45/2.8 combo (relying on OIS rather than a tripod).

The accompanying text seems to imply the latter (though the true meaning might be masked by Google's inept translation):
We must also say in his defense that, by mounting the camera on a tripod for static macros, use the manual approach and aided by the loupe feature that magnifies the image on the screen, the results are accurate and comparable to any SLR.

Image Stabilizer
Image stabilization is always appreciated, and more on a goal like this. The tripod is the best ally of sharpness in macro photography, but if we are shooting handheld, the stabilizer is always welcome. Precisely for these images to pulse, the external electronic viewfinder-and optionally the GF1 is helpful because it allows us to enjoy greater support and thus prevent the occurrence of tremors in the picture. The macro picture framing with the LCD is, except that we work with a tripod-very complicated.
And, although the lens appears to be impressively well-constructed (as one would expect from Leica), it dwarfs the GF1 (and would be equally huge on a G1). If one is going to be working on a tripod anyway, an APS-C or full-frame DSLR will deliver superior results at the cost of not a lot more bulk. Which, I guess, is what you mean by your reference to sensor size.

nostatic

And, although the lens appears to be impressively well-constructed (as one would expect from Leica), it dwarfs the GF1 (and would be equally huge on a G1). If one is going to be working on a tripod anyway, an APS-C or full-frame DSLR will deliver superior results at the cost of not a lot more bulk. Which, I guess, is what you mean by your reference to sensor size.
I think what's happening is that the lens is outresolving the sensor, so you're bumping up into that limitation (eg the blown highlight on the first image). And yes, if you need to carry a tripod then you might as well take a larger body along.

The reality is that myself (and likely others) are just asking for/expecting too much. It is what it is...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am willing to bet the lackluster images in the review were either not properly captured or not properly processed... ANy way you slice it, I want one of those lenses :D

V

Vivek

And yes, if you need to carry a tripod then you might as well take a larger body along.

The reality is that myself (and likely others) are just asking for/expecting too much. It is what it is...
You can also take a smaller, lighter tripod. ;):)

I agree with Jack.

Let Pana send samples to some here and we will do justice to that lens.

m_driscoll

This is good news! Maybe it really will be available in November. I've pre-ordered it. It will be a good companion to the 20mm f/1.7.

You could put the 20mm in one pocket (winter coat, not pants), the 45mm in another and the 14-140mm on the camera. Pretty lightweight kit. With airline handheld travel/luggage restrictions, it's hard to carry the comparable Nikon gear along with a laptop and have any room for other stuff.

Looking forward to seeing more about this lens.

Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Terry

Yup,
It is on my list as well.....come to think of it what hasn't been on my list??
I'm looking forward to finally having a macro lens as well.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Yup,
It is on my list as well.....come to think of it what hasn't been on my list??
I'm looking forward to finally having a macro lens as well.
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

I was going to pass on this one because I couldn't ask for a nicer optic than the Oly 50 f/2 that I already have, but if the new lens is as good as the 20 f/1.7, and has AF and IS, I will be tempted to make a trade.

Brian Mosley

Well, using this with the E-P1 - I don't need OIS but was looking forward to Leica quality... unfortunately, these images don't do the lens justice - noisy and poor imho.

Cheers

Brian

Diane B

Has anyone seen any place but Amazon taking preorders for the 45 f/2.8? I've wavered on this but now believe, esp. with the 20, that this would suit my shooting a good bit of the time.

iiiNelson

That's what I'm gathering. The GF1 with this (or the 14-45mm)and the 20mm make for a good walk around kit. Almost like a poorer man's "Leica M-lite" but smaller with AF.

Here's another shot.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Thanks. I'm gonna try sticking to this an the 20mm for Christmas photos during house hopping but I will take the 14-45mm just in case.

Peter Leyenaar

I also bought this lens a couple of weeks ago, it is a high quality lens with images that approach the "Leica look", however the 14-45 also delivers very nice images at 45 mm, not too different from the 45 2.8.

I see many comments about the cost of the 45 2.8, what is the cost of the least expensive Leica lens ?

Best Regards

Peter

Terry

That's what I'm gathering. The GF1 with this (or the 14-45mm)and the 20mm make for a good walk around kit. Almost like a poorer man's "Leica M-lite" but smaller with AF.

[/IMG]
That was my entire kit for my Florida/NY trip for 10 days over Thanksgiving. GF1 + 20mm + 45mm

photoSmart42

The real question on price comparison should be between the 45mm and the 14-45mm. Is the 45mm $600 better? The size of the two lenses is comparable, so that's not an issue. Sure the 14-45mm is slower, but for most situations it's probably adequate, and it offers the advantage of the wider range. The 45mm is expensive because it's a macro lens. I'm guessing another fast-ish prime when Pana hopefully comes out with one would be less expensive than the 45mm macro.

Personally when traveling light I'd take either my GH1 w/ 14-140 + 20mm (once I get it), or if traveling super-light, my wife's G1 w/ 14-45 + 20mm.