The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Amazon LLC shipping GF1 EVF - Good News!

slosync

Just checked my CC account and they have posted the charge. This is great news as I am very anxious to check it out myself. :D

On Amazon LLC order page it has shipping soon - I would expect that today it will appear with a ship date.

Cheers,
Don

Terry

I just looked at my order. Same thing and it is now in the not able to cancel stage. Looks like I will have one before the Oregon trip if they ship in the next couple of days as mine is 2 day Prime delivery.

btrancho

I just got an email that my 20/1.7 has shipped from Amazon. Looks like they are finally receiving the goods from Panasonic.

btrancho

I ordered September 3rd - probably the first day Amazon listed it. With the 2 day shipping I should have it on Thursday. It's going on my G1.

slosync

My EVF shipped - Delivery expected Oct. 20th (used free shipping). :D :D I had ordered mine on September 16th. :)

In hindsight, I probably should have used 2 day shipping as I will be heading to Myrtle Beach S.C. for 5 days of golf (Oct. 18-22).

Oh well.... I guess I will have to enjoy it vicariously through your reports and experiences until I return. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Don

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I ordered one yesterday from J&R music and will have it tomorrow for my trip. They are out of stock now though.

gfspencer

I ordered the 20mm lens and the EVF. I just checked with Amazon and read the message that they are preparing my order for shipment! :thumbup: I asked for overnight shipping so maybe I will have both tomorrow!! :thumbs:

Question . . . This is the first time that I have ever purchased a camera model that has not been around for a long time. (I bought a 50D after that body had been out six months. I bought an M8 just before the M8.2 was introduced.) Is this frenzy normal? :bugeyes:

Terry

I think there is a combination of things going on...

1. There is a lot of excitement over the new format - especially with a fast lens
2. Panasonic hasn't been good (in the US) at getting demand right and getting sufficient stock in other releases
3. This is a unique place and home to a lot of gear __________s (multiple choices including sluts, whores, heads) reside :D

Guy Mancuso

I think Jack and I should open a GetDPI Credit Card company. We would be filthy rich by now.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Terry

I just got home and my EVF was waiting for me.

So, these thoughts are all from indoors and looking out the window in the early evening hours just before sunset.

My impressions. Perfectly useable. I will still use the G1/GH1 differently than the GF1. I use the first two more with the EVF and frame at more odd angles or on tripod with LCD. But even when I have the G1 and E-P1 side by side there were times when I want to bring the E-P1 to eye level. Now I can without changing cameras.

I like the tilting bit of it. With the small size of the camera if feels a bit more spacious to tilt it at an angle which also has a side benefit...it keeps the nose grease off the LCD :LOL:

I can manually focus with it just fine but in low light with a fast sort of long lens wide open and no DOF margin for error, I figure I won't be quite as accurate as the G1....but I generally wouldn't be using the finder then and would use the LCD.

For all of the G1/GH1 users, you will go bonkers for a while because I'm sure we all are used to the auto switch between the screen and LCD when you take it to eye level. Hard to remember to push the button....it will take some time :p.

As the reviewers who have used the G1/GH1 have said, it is clearly not as good. If you hated the EVFs on the G1/GH1 don't even bother.

Addendum: The one thing I don't get is the comments about looking through a tunnel. The effect I get is the screen being right in front of my eye. Waiting to hear other opinions on this.

Am I glad I bought it. Absolutely. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Diane B

Am I glad I bought it. Absolutely. :thumbup:
Good enough for me. I feel sure in lower light (where I have no trouble composing or focusing) I will use the LCD anyhow--just knowing I have a fallback for those times I just can't see to focus or even compose--as they say 'priceless'.

Diane

ecsh

I did not care about manual focusing, but had to have the viewfinder so when i put the camera up to my eye, i had something to look into<G>
It made the camera a keeper for me, instead of something nice for a week or two.
Joe

Terry

I'm going to reverse course on my thoughts in a good way.

I put my 50 lux (f1.4) on the the GF1 and could perfectly focus with the viewfinder. It actually seems easier to manual focus in lower light with the viewfinder than bright light.

m_driscoll

I think the viewfinder works well. Manual focus is good and it feels more like a "camera" (old school). I, also, like the tilting feature. My 20mm f/1.7 arrived from Amazon today. I'm looking forward to trying it out tomorrow. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

gfspencer

I like the EVF so far. I haven't had much time to use it but I'm going to a wedding tomorrow so I plan on giving it a workout with the 20mm lens.

Guy Mancuso

My issue is this . I need reading glasses and use 200 strength and anything within 4 ft of my eyes is a struggle. Believe me my glasses go on and off maybe over a hundred times a day and most times I just leave them on and look over the top of them. So the live view has always been a little bit of a challenge for me. I'm more a viewfinder type shooter as well so I'm hoping this will serve me pretty well. So looking forward to trying it out for sure and see what is most comfortable to me. Bottom line when your shooting is you want to be comfortable for your vision.