The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 with leatherette and soft release

markwon

The leatherette is a nice option for adding grip and a for a discreet look to the GF1. The soft release makes a big difference for slow shutter shots. I would say at least 2/3 stop.

RonSmith

I just learned that my GF1 should be here Thursday.

I'm trying to decide if I like the look of the leatherette. I'd imagine it makes the GF1 easier to hold on to.

How does the soft release attach? Is the shutter release threaded?

markwon

Rawfa, congratulations on your purchase. I think you'll really like the leatherette, both practically and aesthetically--very well cut and has a nice Leica-like feel to it.

Ron--the shutter is not threaded. The soft release was purchased through ebay. It goes on with double sided tape and works well for compact cameras. Made of brass and feels snappy.

RonSmith

Thanks Mark. I didn't think it was a threaded release.

Do you know if the leatherette can be easily removed without leave gunk on the camera?

markwon

Ron,

See the second video: http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/GF-1/leatherette/GF1.php

I actually had to remove the leatherette a couple of times, due to misalignment, and I failed to see any residue. I'm sure after a period of time some of the glue with be hardened as it sets in. But it seems from the video, a quick application of rubbing alcohol should to do the trick.

Thanks Mark. I didn't think it was a threaded release.

Do you know if the leatherette can be easily removed without leave gunk on the camera?

V

Vivek

Upclose, it does not look all that nice.

OTOH, it does mask the logos..:)

Does it (Aki cover) dampen the shutter noise, Mark?

Rawfa

Rawfa, congratulations on your purchase. I think you'll really like the leatherette, both practically and aesthetically--very well cut and has a nice Leica-like feel to it.

Ron--the shutter is not threaded. The soft release was purchased through ebay. It goes on with double sided tape and works well for compact cameras. Made of brass and feels snappy.
I have not bought it yet as it is still back ordered. But when I do I will most likely buy the leatherette. I bought it when I had the E-P1 and I have to say I've never seen a camera look so good hahaha.

markwon

Vivek, Although my impressions are not technically qualified (never measured the actual output of the shutter sound), but the leatherette appears to dampen the shutter a bit. While the tone has not changed much, it seems to have at least dampened then resonance.

I actually like the look of the leatherette, and the covering of the unnecessary/commercial logos (acvhd, "L", etc.) is great. I actually think it looks better in person than when I saw it on the Aki website.

Upclose, it does not look all that nice.

OTOH, it does mask the logos..:)

Does it (Aki cover) dampen the shutter noise, Mark?

V

Vivek

Mark, Thanks a bunch for your reply and information!:)

[FWIW, the stainless steel strip in the handgrip in G1 (similar in GF-1, GH-1) is actually electrically connected to chassis- ie., grounded. I am still not sure if it actually does anything or not.]

Diane B

Vivek, I like the fact that you have taken one apart--we have picked up some interesting info because of that.

V

Vivek

Diane, My current street G1 is from Mike Hatam and the spare (for the 2nd attempt to hack) is from Robert Campbell. Both have been very kind and generous.

Whatever little information I have disclosed from hacking my original G1 is a small pay back.