The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any c-mount lenses (on M43) focus to infinity??!!??

J

juz

I am thinking of getting a GF1. I've been intrigued by what I am seeing on the web, especially Leica M and C-mount lenses...

Are there any c-mount lenses that focus to infinity correctly without machining the lens mount?

It seems impossible to tell which vintage c-mount lenses focus correctly, which require alteration, etc.

There is a lot of confusing info on this on the web. If machining is required, are there any instructions out there?

Thanks!

V

Vivek

For a "normal" focal length- Schneider Xenoplan 25/1.9, Angenieux 25/1.4, Angenieux (Type M1) 25/0.95, Senko 25/0.95.

I am sure there are many, many c-mount lenses that do not need any machining and would focus to infinity in other focal lengths as well.

Consider a G1. Much better to focus manual focus lenses since it has a built in view finder and a flex LCD screen. You do not need to stick the camera at arm's length to try the focus all the time.

This (G1's versatility) also helps in holding the camera more securely and minimize shake related problems.

apicius9

Vivek, just out of curiosity, between the Angenieux 25/1.4 and the Angenieux (Type M1) 25/0.95, which one of these two do you prefer - and why? I'm having a hard time deciding which one to keep and which to sell...

Thanks,

Stefan

V

Vivek

Stefan, Check the glass carefully. My 25/1.4 (I forget the model but it is early)'s glass (rear elements) show very fine "bubble like" features, only they are not bubbles. The glass has lost its liquid like state and is almost turning to a Coke bottle bottom (almost like sintered glass).

The effect is more flare and haze in the image. It is actually a special effect lens now!

apicius9

Thanks, Vivek, I haven't noticed anything like that but I will look again. The only thing I don't like about those Angenieux is that the focus ring is so close to the adapter, makes it tricky with my big fingers.

Other than those, I like the Canon TV16 25/1.4 as a normal that reaches infinity without problems. For 'special effects' I like my old Cooke Kinic 25/1.5. In the meantime, I even got my hands on one of the fabled Computar 25/1.3 lenses but haven't had a chance to look into modifying it, yet (does anybody here do that for a fee?). But I have just started slimming down my collection, I had more than I ever could use. Still sorting out which 150mm c-mount lens to keep...

Stefan

J

juz

Are you saying that "Schneider Xenoplan 25/1.9, Angenieux 25/1.4, Angenieux (Type M1) 25/0.95, Senko 25/0.95." lenses do not require machining? Do they focus to infinity correctly?

I've got Leica M-mount lenses, but none that are that wide and fast. Maybe the Voigtlander 28mm 1.9, but that's huge. and not wide on the 4/3 system.

I've thought about the G1, especially since, right now, they are about $300 cheaper. But I want a Leica M replacement. I want to stick a brightline finder on the GF1 and see what happens. Fast and (fairly) wide.

Thanks!

J

juz

I have visited your informative site before, and can see that, with some lenses, one does have to file and alter the mechanics of it. I am glad people are doing this kind of thing, instead of the 15 years we've had with top-down, boring digital gadgets.

apicius9

Juz, have you looked here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p9kkgjwEQQQ-HJwvNDobeEw

This is really a great help. You see that most c-mount lenses do not require machining, but the wider they get, the less likely they are to cover the full sensor. Some of the 25mm are very usable but may get blurry toward the corners or still have slight vignetting - like both the Angenieux mentioned above. I never tried the Schneider but understand that this one (or was it the 1.4?) has complete coverage.

Stefan