The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P1 portraits

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Rafa,.....
Great travel companion....that 2nd image looks like rear projection....
They're all nice...I think you made a mistake getting rid of the Pen....
You are very FREE with it....
Don

Lili

Ohhh, such nice colors! Very good al fresco portraiture...the kit lens (which I assume these were done with) is far better than some reviews would have us think!

Brian Mosley

These are really nice Rafa - did you use face detection for the focusing?

Also, did you use a graduated filter on the 2nd, 4th and 6th?

Cheers

Brian

Rawfa

Thanks, Brian. The AF was set to center (it's always like that). I didn't use any filters. My deal with ANY camera is to shoot as plain as possible and then do everything I want on PS....so naturaly one of the main evaluation factors for me (other than the obvious texture, high iso, dynamic range, etc) is how well do the files endure hardcore post processing.

Bill Gordon

....and Rafa.......what is the long term plan. You along with others have proven that the Pen is a good performed given the shooter knows what he/she is doing. It is a serious camera, no question, it is just that the competition are looking over the shoulder of Oly and bringing theirs out very quickly...perhaps to quick for Oly!!

Terry

Rawfa -

I like a lot of the shots you posted but I'm not convinced on your colors. Most either seem to have a blue or brown cast. I know you do a lot of work on them in photoshop it would be interesting to see the original colors.

Rawfa

This is going to sound a little like a joke but it REALLY isn't. I have a slight touch of color blindness, which leads most of my work to come out with unnatural colors many times. But in my defense I have to say that some of them were not treated at all and it is plain poor white balance.

Rawfa

....and Rafa.......what is the long term plan. You along with others have proven that the Pen is a good performed given the shooter knows what he/she is doing. It is a serious camera, no question, it is just that the competition are looking over the shoulder of Oly and bringing theirs out very quickly...perhaps to quick for Oly!!
Bill, indead like many reviews said this a camera that needs a user that can make it work to get the best out of it (in my opinion that is the case with all micro 4/3 cameras at the present moment). Being a very curious guy about everything technological i was very intrigued by this system from the get go...BUt I've always found it way overpriced for what it offers, taking in consideration that this is a system that is still maturing and has lots to go. Other brands are starting to see that if they want to stay in the competition they will have to at least have one or two micro 4/3 models...competition will lead prices to drop and quality to go up. And THEN these cameras will cost what they should. At the moment I will still explore this format for what it is in the evolutionary scale of digital photography, but the best of it's kind is yet to come.

P.S - As for my plan I'll share with you once it's in motion ;-)

Bill Gordon

Bill, indead like many reviews said this a camera that needs a user that can make it work to get the best out of it (in my opinion that is the case with all micro 4/3 cameras at the present moment). Being a very curious guy about everything technological i was very intrigued by this system from the get go...BUt I've always found it way overpriced for what it offers, taking in consideration that this is a system that is still maturing and has lots to go. Other brands are starting to see that if they want to stay in the competition they will have to at least have one or two micro 4/3 models...competition will lead prices to drop and quality to go up. And THEN these cameras will cost what they should. At the moment I will still explore this format for what it is in the evolutionary scale of digital photography, but the best of it's kind is yet to come.

P.S - As for my plan I'll share with you once it's in motion ;-)
I Agree with your remarks however I feel that there is some kind of "lust" for more goodies in cameras. At this moment in time digital cameras contain so much technology, many toys that the average shooter will never use, and that if we go back to film days there were only three things for a photographer to be concerned with. Aperture, speed, and of course, focus. the ASA was built into the film and so you had to switch film for different shooting events. Today, we have far to many electronic abilities to correct the ability to capture an image and on top of that, so many software programs like photoshop to go even further. On all the forums, including sadly, this one it is a race for lust...more gadgets, more toys, more buttons,bigger or smaller cameras.

I think that you have proven with the Pen that you can capture whatever you want without any of the new improved modern circuit board cameras with at a touch of a button will perform pushups, trapeze swings, almost any physical move and it is just getting worse.

Rawfa

Bill, it doesn't give me any pleasure to say that you are absolutely right. Sadly, that is how the capitalist economy we live in works. An in a way what pushes technological evolution forward. If people were to have remained happy with just having aperture, speed and focus there would be no evolution.
I'm not taking shots at anyone because I believe each person is free to spend their money they way they want, but it does rub one the wrong way a little bit to listen to people who have like 5 very expensive cameras complain about one of them that doesn't do exactly what this person needs it to do (I've read as ridiculous things as people complaining about the shutter noise the E-P1 does when a photo is taken). I, for once, have always been a one camera guy and have almost always sold my previous camera before I bought the next one. The E-P1 is by far the most expensive camera I've bought (apart from a Nikon D90, which I sold because I really could not justify to my self the expense) and I firmly believe that if you spend this kind of money on a camera it HAS to fill ALL your desires otherwise you should just stick with your older model until the model you're looking for comes along.

Last edited: