The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 & E-P1 review from an amateur

D

doremon313

I bought the E-P1 and traded it in for a GF1, this is the first time I've played around with an interchangeable camera. I am leaning towards the GF1 now because I liked the focus speed and the overall interface. I wrote a longer review with some sample photos here... http://sanweng.com/?p=213
what do you think?

PeterB666

Interesting. There are only 2 shots that make an easy comparison and they are the two of the dog. The Panasonic seems a bit dull by comparison.

I must admit that I am slightly biased as I have the E-P1 and I like the colours straight out of the camera. I have experimented with both JPEG and RAW and like the JPEG images so much as I rarely need to doctor them.

I also appreciate the in-camera image stabilisation as it works a treat with my older manual focus lenses. With the right settings, auto focus, while not speedy is fast enough. I use S-AF and centre weighted metering but I also normally shoot using the half-press, pre-focus method method of shooting.

Different features appeal to different people and both the E-P1 and GF-1 are great cameras.

retow

My 2 cents.
Presently, have all three, G, GF1 and EP1 with 14-45, 45-200, oly 14-42, oly 17, pana 20mm lenses. One of the small ones has to go, but can't make up my mind.
Keeping the two panas obviously has its advantages, since IQ, firmware, menu sytems are pretty much the same.
Yet would miss the JPEG IQ of the Oly, WB, color accuracy and its looks. If Oly only would have gotten the AF (speed and low light usability) right, there would be no contest between the EP1 and the GF1 as far as I'm concerned. EP1 with Pana 20 is compelling, f1.7 plus in body IS how sweet is that. But then, also GF1 with Oly 17 or 14-42 has its sweet spot by being the most jacket pocketable, lightest, smallest combo for hiking or skiing.
Or I might sell all but the the GF1 with 20mm and 14-45mm and add the EVF in addition.......
Or I should not waste my time thinking about this and go out shooting instead:talk028:
What a luxury problem to have!:grin:

D

doremon313

For the dog shot, I did the Oly version during a sunny day, so there was some good lightning and the Panasonic was done during a cloudy day, so it might be the reason why the color look so dull...:p

Interesting. There are only 2 shots that make an easy comparison and they are the two of the dog. The Panasonic seems a bit dull by comparison.

I must admit that I am slightly biased as I have the E-P1 and I like the colours straight out of the camera. I have experimented with both JPEG and RAW and like the JPEG images so much as I rarely need to doctor them.

I also appreciate the in-camera image stabilisation as it works a treat with my older manual focus lenses. With the right settings, auto focus, while not speedy is fast enough. I use S-AF and centre weighted metering but I also normally shoot using the half-press, pre-focus method method of shooting.

Different features appeal to different people and both the E-P1 and GF-1 are great cameras.