The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ooops I seem to have a GF1

jonoslack

I'm confined to iPhone viewing but I can tell it was another beautiful light afternoon. Nothing truly surprises me anymore. LOL. I hope this is the small camera you've been hankering after. I think on a nice strap strung across your body it will make for an easier horse riding/photo duo than worrying about an M9.

Congratulations - and if it doesn't work out you've the next son will get in line for a hand me down.....or Silas will steal the 14-140 for "his" Pen.
Hi Terry
many thanks for your marathon email on your phone - I'm still working through it. Strapping stuff around your body on a horse seems to be frowned on . . . so it has to go on a small bag on the saddle, so the M9 isn't so much a worry . . . but changing lenses is quite beyond me, so the zoom is an attraction, and first impression is that the little 14-45 is very good (not so sure about the 14-140, but then, one shouldn't expect miracles I guess).

Silas is the danger person - his current favorite is the Zeiss 50 sonnar on the E-P1 (which is clearly better for the task with it's IS). He isn't really a zoom kindofaguy though - you can look:
Silas Slack's pictures

jonoslack

Jono,

I see your logic, but the 20 really is magical and it has AF which can come in handy for more relaxed/stealthy captures. I'm having a good time seeing what the face recognition focus mode can do with this lens, especially wide open.

BTW, I love that cloudscape!

Cheers,
HI Simon
Well, I still have a couple of hundred quid 'credit' after the trade in, so maybe the 20 is the thing to do with it.

Godfrey

Nice photos, Jono!

I'm considering whether the effort to sell my E-1 bodies, E-1 Grip, maybe the 50-200, and Pentax 645+two lens kit is really worth it, and whether the local dealer might offer enough in trade to finance a GF1 + 20mm + EVF kit. I'd likely get enough more use out of the GF1 + 20 that it makes having all these other things which are sitting in the cabinet unused the vast majority of the time worth turning over even at the substantial penalty that implies, or whether I can get satisfactorily more out of them by selling via Ebay privately.

Diane B

Hi Diane
Thank you - I hope you're well. Worth getting the camera for the price of entry for you lovely people around here :)
the 20 is tempting, but it's not really any smaller than my 35 summarit . . . the real attraction is having a zoom on something small with decent quality.
We love having you over here. I get why you want the zoom--tough to change lenses under certain circumstances---on horseback isn't one :D Or even out walking with the dogs.

jonoslack

Nice photos, Jono!
HI Godfrey - thank you!
I'm considering whether the effort to sell my E-1 bodies, E-1 Grip, maybe the 50-200, and Pentax 645+two lens kit is really worth it, and whether the local dealer might offer enough in trade to finance a GF1 + 20mm + EVF kit. I'd likely get enough more use out of the GF1 + 20 that it makes having all these other things which are sitting in the cabinet unused the vast majority of the time worth turning over even at the substantial penalty that implies, or whether I can get satisfactorily more out of them by selling via Ebay privately.
My trouble with ebay is the dreaded 'round to it', I'm really busy at the moment and it's the sort of thing which always gets put off. I was ready for a BIG haggle about the prices, but he actually offered me £200 more than I would have agreed to (Dave you're wonderful if you're reading this!). I guess I might have got 20 or 30% more on ebay (but not more than that), and it's worth that for the lack of responsibility alone!

I was really sorry to see the E3 go, and the 7-14 as well, the 50-200 less so. Truth is, if I can carry a camera that big, then I'd rather carry the A900.

I actually kept the 50 macro and the 12-60 (which, I think, is my all time favorite lens). Not really for use on the GF1, but as a protection device in case Olympus offer an E620 sized camera with weatherproofing . . .:ROTFL:

Good luck if you do decide - cupboardware is never worth keeping!

scho

Jono,

Very nice shots with your new GF1, but you really must get the 20 1.7:thumbs:

Regards,
Carl

fordfanjpn

Congrats on the new toy Jono. I seem to have had an oops moment myself this afternoon and ended up bringing home a GF1 body. Like I needed another camera. Still waiting for the battery to charge. Your shots certainly look promising. I hope mine turn out half that good.

Bill

jonoslack

We love having you over here. I get why you want the zoom--tough to change lenses under certain circumstances---on horseback isn't one :D Or even out walking with the dogs.
Hi Diane
Thank you!
Yes, changing lenses on horseback isn't something I'm contemplating at present!
We're going riding today, and hopefully I'll get some shots, but it's all rather grey and cold, so I may not!

jonoslack

Jono,

Very nice shots with your new GF1, but you really must get the 20 1.7:thumbs:

Regards,
Carl
HI Carl
Well, I do have a little credit left with the dealer, not quite enough for the 20, but it does seem like an obvious choice . . . maybe I'll give in.

jonoslack

Congrats on the new toy Jono. I seem to have had an oops moment myself this afternoon and ended up bringing home a GF1 body. Like I needed another camera. Still waiting for the battery to charge. Your shots certainly look promising. I hope mine turn out half that good.

Bill
HI Bill
Congratulations back! You're much more patient than me, I just charged out with what battery charge there was - gave it a short top up and out again. I'm not really convinced by the first charge arguments on modern batteries.

Hopefully I'll get some more shots today - just wish the sun would come out!

Bill Gordon

Hi Jono

As you know I am a true Oly lover and so I have the Pen. I think it is an amazing camera when you examine the specs but I am having difficulty with it as a p&s camera. It isn't the camera..it's me!! I will continue to struggle and I know that eventually I will learn a whole new way to take pics but old buggers take longer to learn new tricks!!

Good to see that you still have time for fun and games. Will I be back to the UK next year?? That depends on how I am feeling health wise.......I find walking becoming a problem and in England I did a lot of walking!!