The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First outing with GF1

pellicle

I know what you mean - I shot AWB and converted in Lightroom to make things simple, I'm not sure that I'll do that again.
perhaps I'm not certain of what's being said here ... but are you saying that the process is what gave you thinner colours or that you feel that the sensor is not giving data into the process which gives better colours on other cameras (such as your other 4/3 cameras or the Sonys)

jonoslack

perhaps I'm not certain of what's being said here ... but are you saying that the process is what gave you thinner colours or that you feel that the sensor is not giving data into the process which gives better colours on other cameras (such as your other 4/3 cameras or the Sonys)
HI There
Just that I'm not very familiar with Lightroom, I have a pretty clear workflow organised with Aperture, and I just hope that they support these cameras.

I'm pretty pleased with the quality of the raw files from the sensor.

jonoslack

How big is the 14-45 lens. I mean how many inches or cm does it add to the width of the camera? I want to know how it would compare to an LX-3/DLUX4 for example
Hi Mark
It's much bigger - the difference between the bodies isn't much, but the lens is quite big:

side by side

the lens appears to be 60mm so:

LX3: 109 x 60 x 27 mm
GF1: 119 x 71 x 96.3 mm (including lens)

pellicle

How big is the 14-45 lens. I mean how many inches or cm does it add to the width of the camera? I want to know how it would compare to an LX-3/DLUX4 for example
pardon me talking out of turn here as I don't have the Oly .... I'm not sure which 14-45 either as there are a few ... the Oly 14-45 I believe to be more slim and seems to be similar to the 20mm when packed down...

yet, from this angle seems bulky

this image shows how much it changes as engaged however

to my mind the Pany 14-45 would be the one to put onto the the front of the GF ... and it'd get IOS too

Diane B

pardon me talking out of turn here as I don't have the Oly .... I'm not sure which 14-45 either as there are a few ... the Oly 14-45 I believe to be more slim and seems to be similar to the 20mm when packed down...

to my mind the Pany 14-45 would be the one to put onto the the front of the GF ... and it'd get IOS too
Pellicle, the Oly14-42 does fold down (or whatever), but I agree the Panny 14-45 seems the one to use with the GF1. I think its accepted now that the 14-45 is the better lens optically--and it does have IS.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicGF1/page19.asp

Since I've only used the 14-45 and not the Oly 14-42 I can't compare--just go by the lens test and from those that have used both but its balanced nicely on my GF1.

Terry

I have both....the things to like about the Oly:

Collapses - makes it smaller but also makes if feel more fragile; expanded they are about the same.
Close focus. It focuses MUCH closer than the Panny and makes for some nice macro shooting.

Most other technical points come out in favor of the Panny.

Even though I will probably sell the Oly body, I may keep that lens. First want to get the 45 macro and see how I like it.

jonoslack

Close focus. It focuses MUCH closer than the Panny and makes for some nice macro shooting.
Hi Terry
according to the specs I can see the Olympus focuses to 25cm and the Panny to 30cm (although sometimes it's hard to persuade it). Different, sure, but not THAT different.

Terry

Hi Terry
according to the specs I can see the Olympus focuses to 25cm and the Panny to 30cm (although sometimes it's hard to persuade it). Different, sure, but not THAT different.
I didn't realize technically the difference is so small. It feels like a bigger difference in the field.

Diane B

I've neglected to say it but have said it to myself several times--I just love that backlit gingko.

You usually manage to turn quite ordinary daily things into beautiful shots--I'm guessing you've taken that similar walk many times and I've seen shots from it many times--but you manage to find different subjects to shoot in different ways--or even the same subjects shot differently.

M

meilicke

Jono, the Bier Lane walk seems quite nice during the day, but it would take on a different character at night. No? :)

-Scott

jonoslack

I didn't realize technically the difference is so small. It feels like a bigger difference in the field.
I think that's because the Panny often simply refuses to focus that close (at least, mine does)
Incidentally, if you have AF/MF set (single AF of course), and you turn the focus ring - sometimes it zooms in, and sometimes it doesn't - do you have an idea about this?

jonoslack

HI Diane
I've neglected to say it but have said it to myself several times--I just love that backlit gingko.
Thank you
You usually manage to turn quite ordinary daily things into beautiful shots--I'm guessing you've taken that similar walk many times and I've seen shots from it many times--but you manage to find different subjects to shoot in different ways--or even the same subjects shot differently.
Turning ordinary things into pretty ones is what I do really (not a great ambition I'm afraid!). It also leads to the danger of repeating oneself, but hopefully each new version adds to the whole, rather than reducing the impact.

The Gingko is actually in our front garden. Due to the imposition of a huge pine tree (which is coming down on December 1st), it doesn't get a lot of sunlight at this time of year (just a few minutes before sunset).

I sometimes wonder if one couldn't do one's whole photography of a single subject - there's always different light or a new angle or some other subtle change. It might be more interesting if it was one of Bob's models :ROTFL:

Last edited:

Diane B

Jono, I wasn't sure of this (though this is how my 2 G's work--altho' occasionally popping up the magnified version if I just touch the focus ring while in AF), but checked the manual and I 'think' I'm correct.

I don't think the magnified version with touch of focus ring is supposed to pop in unless you have MF set instead of AF. I looked up AF/MF and it just says that you can tweak MF after AF--nothihg about MF assist. Howver, if you have MF assist on, if you are shooting in AF, you can use MF assist (as you can with MF lenses by clicking on left 4 way button and then OK. I won't cite pg. numbers since I've closed the manual now LOL, but that seems to be it.

Edit: Gosh--that sounds convoluted LOL--simply, you use AF (with AF/MF on) as is, but can MF with it to tweak. To use MF assist in AF---you have to use the 2 button. If you set the camera to MF (with AF/MF button on back), then the magnified version will automatically work with focus ring touch.

Diane

jonoslack

Jono, the Bier Lane walk seems quite nice during the day, but it would take on a different character at night. No? :)

-Scott
Oh yes.
There is a story that the grandfather of the family over the road used to go up there in his pony and trap to the pub every night, get completely rat-assed, and then the pony would bring him home and his wife would pour him into bed.

One night he didn't arrive back, and in the morning they found pony and trap and grandfather dead in the pond halfway up the lane. :eek::scry:

Personally, I think that story should be enough to have it's name changed from Bier lane to Beer lane :)

Terry

Jono, I wasn't sure of this (though this is how my 2 G's work--altho' occasionally popping up the magnified version if I just touch the focus ring while in AF), but checked the manual and I 'think' I'm correct.

I don't think the magnified version with touch of focus ring is supposed to pop in unless you have MF set instead of AF. I looked up AF/MF and it just says that you can tweak MF after AF--nothihg about MF assist. Howver, if you have MF assist on, if you are shooting in AF, you can use MF assist (as you can with MF lenses by clicking on left 4 way button and then OK. I won't cite pg. numbers since I've closed the manual now LOL, but that seems to be it.

Edit: Gosh--that sounds convoluted LOL--simply, you use AF (with AF/MF on) as is, but can MF with it to tweak. To use MF assist in AF---you have to use the 2 button. If you set the camera to MF (with AF/MF button on back), then the magnified version will automatically work with focus ring touch.

Diane
Here goes my understanding.....
If you are in AF mode and want to fine tune with MF you have a couple of choices:
1) hold the shutter at half press move focus ring get magnified view
2) if you have AF set that it can be locked on the AE/AF lock button you can lock focus and as soon as you touch the focus ring you will get magnified view (and you don't need the shutter half press).

Or you can simply switch to MF with the AF/MF button and then as soon as you touch the focus ring you will be in the magnified view.

If you are using a non m4/3 lens you will do the two button press left and center to get magnified view.

RonSmith

With the GF1 (I have to check to see if the G1 is the same) you can get the magnified manual focus assist even with AF on once the AF is locked, i.e., half-press held.