The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 vs Canon G11

mark1958

I have not seen any real image comparisons between the GF1 and Canon G11.

I am most interested in shutter lag, high iso performance, image quality. I do not care about the jpgs.. only the final RAW output. So for focal range comparisons-- the 14-45 would be the most appropriate. I realize the 20/1.7 would really be superior.... but i am looking for none DSLR with best image quality yet compact for a carry around. M

Rawfa

Why not GF1 vs Canon S90? The S90 has the same sensor as the G11 but the lens is faster (it starts at f2.0).

nostatic

Small sensor vs. u4/3. Bigger is better (depending on what you like of course). I love my DLux4 but when I put the hi iso files side by side with the E-P1 it was no contest.

Rawfa

Oh, ok. That explains it :)
I don't have the G11 (nor the S90 for that matter), but I did have the E-P1 and the LX3 and I'm afraid that no matter how good the LX3 is for a compact when it comes to dynamic range and high iso, it's just no match for the micro 4/3 system. I've posted here some samples of iso 4000 from the E-P1 that are just perfect (for me). With the LX3 I've managed to come up with some usable iso 1600, but you really have to struggle, whereas with the E-P1 iso 1600 was very usable.

mark1958

I actually read this review. There are no comparisons of what I was most interested in. The G11 (or even G10) and the GF1 RAW conversion. I know there are some human variables when RAW images are converted etc etc.. but i just want to get an idea. Moreover, the comparison on the dpreview utilizes the 50mm macro lens and not the 14-45 zoom. :)

mark1958

Nostic and Rafa thanks for the notes. I have used the LX3 and have compared it to the G11. The higher iso images (RAW) are better from the G11. However, i started playing with NIK software to try to reduce the noise a bit and see how much detail i can preserve in the LX 3. I see a bit more detail in the LX3 images (non scientific-- handheld etc shots), but if i get the noise levels approx equal, i loose more in he LX 3 shots. Anyway, the controls on the LX 3 really bug me and the G11 is much better in this regard. Albeit, the LX 3 was the best P/s I have ever used. So i think the EP-1 is fairly close to the GF-1 in terms of IQ. Have you used the 14-45mm lens? I am not sure if i should post the G11 images here or in the Canon section. It is not really a 4/3 camera.

Oh, ok. That explains it :)
I don't have the G11 (nor the S90 for that matter), but I did have the E-P1 and the LX3 and I'm afraid that no matter how good the LX3 is for a compact when it comes to dynamic range and high iso, it's just no match for the micro 4/3 system. I've posted here some samples of iso 4000 from the E-P1 that are just perfect (for me). With the LX3 I've managed to come up with some usable iso 1600, but you really have to struggle, whereas with the E-P1 iso 1600 was very usable.

Rawfa

My spider sense tells me you should post on the "small sensor" section.
I'm actually very interested on an LX3 vs S90 comparison. If you say the G11 has better iso performance than the LX3 I would assume the S90 will be even better, considering it has an f2.0 lens.

mark1958

THat would be great.. Markay at stanford dot edu is my email. If you have a large file transfer system account please send. otherwise i will set one up tomorrow

I could send you some G1 raw files for you to play with ... I could shoot some things which you could then match and compare with directly

pellicle

Mark (I assume)

images are on their way to server now ... via mailbigfile (for your antispam software)

I've sent some from my blog page image examination here and here of course you won't be able to relate that to anything you have there but ... none the less. You'll get some blown hilight in the white trunks of the birch shot in the blue channel but the greens just made it in. This will allow you to test hilight recovery and differing RAW strategies.

I use dcraw or batch operations in Photomatix and apply a curve that I like these days. I like that flow which while not visual gets me to where I want to be faster on the machines I use.

THat would be great.. Markay at stanford dot edu is my email. If you have a large file transfer system account please send. otherwise i will set one up tomorrow
please let me know if you'd like a same image ISO change sequence stepping you through the ISO of the same scene

nostatic

You need to be careful comparing web images - lots of variables. The reality is that physics are physics, and while technology does march on, often the man behind the curtain is doing things that you might not want (ie NR).

My hunch is that S90/G11 vs LX3 would be interesting and there wouldn't be a night/day difference. If the Canon files are "cleaner" I would attribute that to maybe some electronic tweaks along with a big dollop of software (ie NR).

To my eyes shooting DLux4 and E-P1 back to back, there is a leap in file quality at higher iso between the two. You don't have to pixel peep very hard to see it. I would predict the same for G11 and S90. If someone wants to send me an S90 I'll do the comparison ;)

J

jerryk

I have not seen any real image comparisons between the GF1 and Canon G11.

I am most interested in shutter lag, high iso performance, image quality. I do not care about the jpgs.. only the final RAW output. So for focal range comparisons-- the 14-45 would be the most appropriate. I realize the 20/1.7 would really be superior.... but i am looking for none DSLR with best image quality yet compact for a carry around. M
I am assuming the G11 is faster than my g9, but the AF performance of the GF1 is so much faster than the G9 I am sure it will be faster than the G11. Th time from image focused to shutter release also seems quicker on the GF1.

henningw

Why not GF1 vs Canon S90? The S90 has the same sensor as the G11 but the lens is faster (it starts at f2.0).
The S90 seems to have gawdawful barrel distortion at the wide end. 5% or more.

I don't have one but images that have been posted killed this camera for me.

pellicle

then there is of course the obvious issue of interchangeable lenses While the Canon has the screw on adaptor lenses they are both expensive and system specific.

With a GF-1 with a pancake I can carry it in a daypack side pocket and put a lens in my pack. So if I see something in the wildlife way I can still use it like I do on my G1

but seriously even a snuggle little FD200mm f4 or even more compact OM 100f2.8 is great.

I took this with a OM 100f2.8 hand held ... can't imagine doing that with a G10 or 11