The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Street (images thread)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Keith,

GW may not have always kept the horizon level but a very close read of his images will reveal that something in there is square to the frame...maybe just one side but it's there....a window, door, curb, suitcase...something...he played with reference points....that is a cool thing to study....

remember, he worked mostly in NY and back then I think there was 2 places that you could actually see the horizon....
now I believe it's 2.....
Totally agree - but the poster said Brian should straighten his horizon. Don't see too many opportunities in Brian's image to do that. It works well for me. So I will go back to my first opinion - that he got it right with a wonky horizon. Brian's second attempt at the advice of the poster doesn't work for me. That's whats nice about this forum, we can improve our's and other people's photography by gentlemanly discussion.

Glad that at least you and I agree.

Keith

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Some read what they want to read. I was suggesting two things. One about post processing the other about leveling.

There are plenty of reference points in Brian's capture for that (just like the 2012 shot).

Either the paid "review" site got it wrong or it was grossly misread and misinterpreted.

Brian Mosley

Don/Keith/Vivek, thank you for your views and gentlemanly discussion :thumbs:

I do actually think the wonky horizon helps to add some dynamism/immediacy to this shot... but the processing in the first rendition was definitely a little coarse and rushed.

I'll read Sean's article on street shooting carefully - I must have missed it (and since I'm paying for it, it would be silly not to! :angel:)

I am constantly learning from your wonderful photography - thanks for making this place special!

Kind Regards

Brian

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Some read what they want to read. I was suggesting two things. One about post processing the other about leveling.

There are plenty of reference points in Brian's capture for that (just like the 2012 shot).

Either the paid "review" site got it wrong or it was grossly misread and misinterpreted.
I'm very sorry Vivek - I was not meaning to link my comment on Sean Reid's essay to the issue of wonky horizons. My fault, I should have been more careful. I read Sean's work carefully and with consideration, and I do him a disservice if I have communicated my impressions in a way that misinterprets his intentions.

I was just recommending Sean's essay, because I was always intrigued about what street photography encompasses. For instance, a large proportion of Winogrand's images were not taken in the street.

If I take pictures of animals at the zoo - is it street photography? If I take pictures of two people and a car in the middle of the desert, is it street photography? If I take a picture of 12 people on the Staten Island ferry when it has sailed away from the street, is it street photography? If I take a picture of a building in a street without people in it, is it street photography?
I think that in a thread on street photography people should have a chance to discuss these things.

Sean's article goes a long way in putting some sense into the definition.

For those who are subscribers of Sean's site, I think I came across his essay in his review of the GF-1. Well worth a read, because he references art works that could be called "Street painting"

Once again, Sorry Vivek :scry:

Keith

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Keith,

Unleveled horizon is fine as well as invoking Winogrand in a discussion. As Don pointed out, Winogrand did use reference points and despite not using a camera with grid lines was able to frame a picture level. So, there is a little confusion.

Sometimes thoughts get mixed while typing. So, that is also OK.

I do not see any problems at all.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Keith, (anyone else that wants also)
First and foremost.
Art Is The Man. So it's not really important about location of where an image is made.
It's about an internal aesthetic, a view so to speak that a photographer captures in his work. So Winogrand's work is about him as your work is about you.
The term street work is more about being outside ones living elements.
When one exits the house etc, one is on the street. No matter where that may be.

I guess around the early 60's, the street gained popularity for shooters.
It existed before for sure but the new generation discovered the energy.
One again there is a strong new energy and it is the responsibility of us to continue to discover and try to capture this energy.
By doing so, we also have the right and responsibility to take the vision to a new place and or direction.

So if you made images in a Zoo, if you call it street work,
I will to.
By the way, Winogrand didn't feel that his animals/zoo images were street.
He was careful and did books on this subject alone.
It's funny tho, I always felt he saw the world and it's inhabitants as a ZOO.

No one predates Kertesz on really capturing the street.
He didn't think Street, he thought Life.

ricseet

Hi, am joining in the fun. I like street photography but not good at it and less opportunity to do this in Singapore. I took these in London ---

cheers

ric

m_driscoll

Vivek: Another great character!

Rick: Now if the mouse just had a pet flea on it?

Rickseet: Nice photos. I especially like the underpass one. I can't remember exactly what the English call them?

Here's one of mine from today with the GF1 and the 20mm f/1.7. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

V

Vivek

Rick, Saw that elsewhere as well. Good catch.

Ric, Welcome. I would think the food stalls (I forget the name) in Singapore offer plenty of possibilities.

Matt, Thanks.

V

Vivek

Don, Have you looked at any moving subjects shot with the 20/1.7 vs the 17/2.8? It is quite frustrating for me. I switched back to the 25/1.3 Computar-TV, so that I do not miss my shots.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Don, Have you looked at any moving subjects shot with the 20/1.7 vs the 17/2.8? It is quite frustrating for me. I switched back to the 25/1.3 Computar-TV, so that I do not miss my shots.
Vivek,
I try not to set myself up for disappointments. I'm working with the 20 until I can see with it naturally.

The 17 most definitely focuses faster. The 20mm is very nice as is the 17mm.
I'm not really having any major issues with the 20 or in fact anything with the Pen. I do notice the G1 is faster focusing with everything.

I like the camera even tho I resist using it. It's to good to sell off but I can see where low light with the 20 will be the combination.

As far as movement goes, in low light, one has to wait for the moment with the Pen.
It works and I am just getting used to it so I will not pass judge-ment until I start to fall in love...
It won't be long tho as I can't take it off the Pen ...it's kinda stuck on there....
Don

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Coming over from the Bokeh thread, I am now giving most of my stuff titles :bugeyes:

This is called "Looks"

G1 with Oly 9-18

Keith

ricseet

Hi Driscoli, I like the one of the Underpass as well. I lived in London for 9 years and for the life I cannot recall what they call this - tunnel?

I have been taking the 20mm for a few spins and I am beginning to like this lens a lot. Great fun as well. I know that I am in trouble becos I now find that my 14-150mm is too heavy for the GH1. I would hate to swap this out with the 14-140mm.
Thanks for your recommendation becos I am beginning to like the GH1 now. I am am still unhappy about taking pics of RED flowers. Hopefully I can link this soon.

Like that post of yours - especially the way the bike is park!!.

cheers

ric

Vivek: Another great character!

Rick: Now if the mouse just had a pet flea on it?

Rickseet: Nice photos. I especially like the underpass one. I can't remember exactly what the English call them?

Here's one of mine from today with the GF1 and the 20mm f/1.7. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

ricseet

Vivek, thanks for the warm welcome.
Is it Newton Hawker Center you are ref too?
I was in Cambodia last week and brought the 20mm along and shot some nice pics at their wet market. Yes I am beginning to see possibility. But I first have to dress up like a tourist so that I can do Street photography in Singapore.
Wish me luck.

cheers and thanks again.

ric

Rick, Saw that elsewhere as well. Good catch.

Ric, Welcome. I would think the food stalls (I forget the name) in Singapore offer plenty of possibilities.

Matt, Thanks.