The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Street (images thread)

simonclivehughes

Simon, these look like HDR shots, are they from one frame or bracketed? Whatever technique you use I like them and would like to know your post processing.

Chris
Chris,

Thanks for the compliments. They are not HDR per se but I can describe my PP workflow:

Common: both shots were from RAW, adjusted in ACR for the best histogram. (I tend to first zero out the Brightness and Contrast sliders, then adjust the exposure controls to get the best distribution and then bring up brightness and contrast to suit.) I usually add some Clarity and some Vibrance. Then into CS4.

The B&W was processed first in Topaz Adjust 3 using custom presets that I have created from the included presets (usually, I dial down the colour and sometimes the detail). I then brought it into Nik Silver Efx-Pro and usually I use either the High Detail or Architecture presets but alter the type of film emulation. I will typically add a vignette also.

The colour shot was preprocessed in ACR as above and then in Topaz Adjust. Again, I used a custom preset. The presets that I like the most are: Spicify, Dramatic, and a couple of others. My custom presets are generally based on those and then, as I mentioned, dialed back a bit.

I also have Topaz Detail and I will sometimes use it for sharpening, but I'm still learning it, so mostly I use Jeff Ascough's actions for sharpening.

For some images where I want to work more specifically on colour elements, I use Nik Viveza. Wonderful program!

Some don't care for the look I get, but like they say, "you can't please all of the people all of the time"!

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Will

Loads of nice images then along comes and old R-D1 and bam! blows then out the water. Interesting.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Much thanks everyone...

.....I don't usually post my Epson or Leica stuff on the net.....
I'm very self conscious with those cameras and yet the Oly or Sigma's I just am free with...
weird stuff in me head I tell ya.....

V

Vivek

Don, The Abe shot took a while (being a non American) to register. Nice catch.:)

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Don, The Abe shot took a while (being a non American) to register. Nice catch.:)
Thanks Vivek,
It's a sleeper and that's exactly what makes it work. That was the Epson also...I struggled for over 2 years with that camera and about the same with the M8's.

The Pen is working just fine and my natural FOV of 35mm is maintained BUT...the learned FOV of 28mm from the DP1 is still present, dormant but present.

I wonder how everyone is finding their way and with what camera/FOV....
shooter

V

Vivek

For me, it is the Computar-TV 25/1.3 (when I have it which is almost always) for street portraits and a Oly-D 17/2.8 + a Ricoh GW-1 0.75X converter.

Kind of odd- 25mm and 12.75mm but they seem to work.

(When I had the R-D1s, it was a 15mm C-V or a 2.5cm f/4 W-Nikkor-C)

simonclivehughes

Thanks Vivek,
It's a sleeper and that's exactly what makes it work. That was the Epson also...I struggled for over 2 years with that camera and about the same with the M8's.

The Pen is working just fine and my natural FOV of 35mm is maintained BUT...the learned FOV of 28mm from the DP1 is still present, dormant but present.

I wonder how everyone is finding their way and with what camera/FOV....
shooter
I'm just loving the GF1 and 20mm f1.7 combo. I find it works really well for this kind of photography.

When I was using my R-D1's, I typically had the CV 21 f4 on one and the CV 50 f1.5 mounted on the other.

Cheers,

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I'm just loving the GF1 and 20mm f1.7 combo. I find it works really well for this kind of photography.

When I was using my R-D1's, I typically had the CV 21 f4 on one and the CV 50 f1.5 mounted on the other.

Cheers,
Simon, alas I tried my friends 20mm but to no avail....
It sees the same as the DP-2 and that just is to tight for me.
Glad your finding you way with the Panny....nice camera and a great combo...
Don

Rick Waldroup

Still shooting with my Ricoh GRDII and my Lumix L1 with various lenses.

However, I am eyeballing the Leica X1. I read the thread here in the Leica forum and found it very interesting and informative. A fixed lens is no problem for me and a 35mm focal length is ideal for the type of street shooting I do. We shall see.....

Will

Hmmm. In what way? While Don was successful using an R-D1s, I find his more recent work with the Olympus E-P1 just as compelling. Have a look at his website: http://www.streetshooter.us/index2.html
I wasn't the standard of the recent photography I was talking about, which I agree is excellent, but that for me something in the image quality of the R-D1 is so much more emotionally captivating. I've been thinking of getting a GF1 or EP1 but holding off because however good the photographer I haven't yet seen many images that appeal to me as much as the work they did with other equipment. Early days in the process perhaps?