The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Street (images thread)

V

Vivek

It does not matter which equipment appeals to anyone.

This whole thread is about the pics and not the cameras or lenses. :salute:

The X1, even if given to me for free, I will not use it. I will sell it to fund something useful. I don't like its name. :ROTFL:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Vivek,
You are correct in that the thread is about images.
Images made on the street. Personally, I feel the discussion about cameras is valid, here's why.
Good photography is about recording the Here and Now and one's place in it.
The camera may or may not be a tangible attachment/detachment in the process.

The statements above about the difference in cameras in regards to the images is actually very profound. Most viewers would never see the strengths or weaknesses a camera lends to the process.
I's your thread, but it just may be giving birth to some very powerful observations.
That my friend is what Street Work is all about...
Don

Rick Waldroup

It does not matter which equipment appeals to anyone.

This whole thread is about the pics and not the cameras or lenses. :salute:

The X1, even if given to me for free, I will not use it. I will sell it to fund something useful. I don't like its name. :ROTFL:
Well, if you sell it, I hope you sell it to me at a nice discount. :)

Here is another recent shot.

Masks - Fort Worth, Texas - October 24, 2009

V

Vivek

Rick, If I get one for free, you will get it from me for the same price.:) Why would I sell to you for any money?

Don, There is nothing stopping Will or anyone from posting any pics to justify that Epson is better than X,Y or Z.:rolleyes:

Will

Rick, If I get one for free, you will get it from me for the same price.:) Why would I sell to you for any money?

Don, There is nothing stopping Will or anyone from posting any pics to justify that Epson is better than X,Y or Z.:rolleyes:
Very difficult yo justify an emotional response but if I had access to these cameras I would love to play around with them to try and see for myself what is going on.

Also apologies Vivek if I have inadvertently taken this thread off topic, it wasn't my intention at all.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
The camera. There in lies the problem.
It would not be easy nor the purpose of this thread to see the difference a camera could make or effect the process of image making...
I'm comfortable with any camera I keep but then I don't keep to many and miss even less..
Thanks to all, this is a nice thread....

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Hi Will, No one said that you need to use Epson or E-P or Gx to do street photography..;)

Will

Please do correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the 4/3rds part of the forums and therefore the street images using 4/3rds cameras part of the forum? If I'm right then I'm a little annoyed for being patronised like this for making an observation about my opinion on the images I've been seeing from 4/3rds cameras used for street photography. I'm well aware that you can use any number of cameras for street and do so myself.

V

Vivek

Not being patronised (your reading, unfortunately). My posts were an invitation.

If (like you say), how is that posting words are part of m4/3rds forum while having nothing to do with it and posting images that are non 4/3rds are a problem? :confused:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Will,
I doubt anyone on this thread would be so closed mined,
to not be aware of the camera's role on the process.

I am going to my hippie 60's daze......
Peace, love and Leica's for all......
Shooter

V

Vivek

Will,
I doubt anyone on this thread would be so closed mined,
to not be aware of the camera's role on the process.

The impact of camera's role is a personal perspective/choice. One may choose one brand over the other for whatever reason.

AFAIK, no image speaks for itself (other than the embedded or supplied EXIF data) as being taken by a particular camera/gear or a brand.

One of Rick Waldroup's fabulous shots of Obama during his campaign was bought by McGraw Hill for a text book. I doubt if they asked him which camera he used. I am sure none of the viewers/readers would care either as the gear has no impact.

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Vivek,
True enuff... To the viewer but not to the photographer.
We all have our preferences and strive towards a synergy with our GEAR.

Try as I may, I can't get past the FOV of 35mm.
Can I use other lenses, of course but the natural FOV for me
is part of my process.... I need only move around in time and space....
Frame my image, raise the camera and it already sees what I see....
So the camera etc may not be seen by the viewer but then again, maybe it is...
I do the same with my 8 x 10.... It's just how I relate to my process.
If someone responds to an image, then they have responded to my camera and process also....

Some ol' guy once called it Zen....but I ain't never met him but I heard stories about that
Zen thing.....
Don

Last edited:

kevinparis

the camera is just the mechanism that captures the light captured by the lens.... after the photographers vision... the lens is the element that makes the difference..

RD-1 picture will have a different look... because they are shot with leica or voightlander lenses.. as opposed to digital lenses lik the oly 17mm or the pana 20mm which were designed to entirely diifferent criteria

just my thoughts...

K

V

Vivek

RD-1 picture will have a different look... because they are shot with leica or voightlander lenses.. as opposed to digital lenses lik the oly 17mm or the pana 20mm which were designed to entirely diifferent criteria

just my thoughts...

K
German lens or Swiss lens (do not go by the aspect ratios shown here), Kevin?;)

Will

I suppose when all else is equal then the equipment can make the difference but then all else never is equal. The vision of the photographer is always paramount, I just took that to be self evident. After that other factors become of interest as well. Viewing on a screen or on paper perhaps, and then the quality of each of those comes into play. I was merely struck by the look of the R-D1 images after seeing so many 4/3rds images lately. Perhaps I could have put it more eloquently in the first place but the thought struck and I typed. Hadn't earned the right to intrude having not taken the time to contribute previously to this thread.
I shall leave you all in peace, retreat to the small sensor forum, and continue admiring all your images from a safe distance :)

kevinparis

nice shots vivek... but dont have the look of the typical lenses you find on the front of a Rd-1 or dare i speak its name ...leica.... makers of the worlds worst camera bodies but some stunning lenses

:)

K

V

Vivek

Will, I do not think you actually read any of the words typed here. Read post #1 in this thread and my responses to your Espon camera, see also Helen's posts.

Feel welcome here.:) Post some pics!

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Will, Don't you dare.......the conversation and images is what we all offer to each other. Remember, there are more readers on this thread than posters.

My points about the camera effecting the image is not meant to talk about IQ or such. For me there is an awareness of the camera while making images. Sometimes it intrudes and sometimes it lends a hand and sometimes it's just there.....
that's the time I search for.......just to be there, camera in hand......
aware of my place in a shared here and now.......

snap.......