The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Street (images thread)

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Jack,
Of course I have to go against the grain on this one....here's why...
In the B&W version, the shapes are FLAT...not tonally but dimensionally.
There is almost no eye travel....
The color version sports good eye travel because the red of the bag repeats against the background signs and more importantly against the (Irritant) the shape on his hat.

The shape on the top of the rolled bag has a similar shape to the mans head and shoulder....in the B&W, this shape competes too much to the point of neutrality....

Because of the primary colors.....he is separated nicely from the background....
Notice the B&W version is flat...not tonally again but dimensionally.....

Well, that's about it.....I am a B&W shooter almost 99 1/2% of the time but sometimes Mother Color has a sense of humor......
Shooter

simonclivehughes

I might suggest lightening the shadowed part of the face a tad in the B&W version (which I prefer). Very nice capture though, Jack. I might also try desaturating the red of the bag in the color shot.

Cheers,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Good points all --- and why I am conflicted and posted both versions. Push to shove, I still prefer the B&W, but do like the jeans and skintone in the color version...

JBurnett

I think Streetshooter has some valid observations about how the colour works in this one. Diane's comment about the distracting background is also true, however. I'd be sorely tempted to cheat and to add some blur to the background.

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

I've been very much enjoying the work of all photographers in this topic.
Personally, I just can't convince myself to go photographing people on the streets anymore.

Many years ago, while at an evening school in photography, we had a portfolio to shoot about "market places", so I went to the central market in Brussels on a sunday morning (very busy day) to do my homework.
While shooting just some very innocent pics of a sales guy selling fruit, I was (not very gently) tapped on the shoulder, and told to leave asap, and he added "sale belge" ...
Later, I heard about several similar incidents !

I wonder, do you people ever get into trouble by shooting police officers, "clochards", people from racial minorities ... ?

C U,
Rafael

m3photo

Re: Adding Blur

I'd be sorely tempted to cheat and to add some blur to the background.
Cheat? I'd never call this cheating! Painters have been readjusting composition for example, since time immemorial. If that's the way you want to portray it - go for it, I say.
In this image, a grab shot with the lens' diaphragm initially closed down, blurring unwanted subject matter after the fact is paramount in my opinion:

helenhill

Hi,
I wonder, do you people ever get into trouble by shooting police officers, "clochards", people from racial minorities ... ?
C U,
Rafael
I never have a Problem 'Shooting Cops'...I rather ENJOY IT...:eek:
they Don't seem to Mind but perhaps NYC's Finest are Coool
M4/neopan 1600
RD1 /90 cron
click on to make BIGGER

V

Vivek

No worries in the Hague as well.

but things of this sort are tricky.

Mr. "Manager", sensed the camera and took off quickly.

Mostly it is routine emission tests.

helenhill

'clochards' ....Its sad
I am working on a series 'Homeless in America'....

M6/collapsible cron
M2/50 preasph lux
please click on to make BIGGER

JBurnett

Re: Adding Blur

Cheat? I'd never call this cheating! Painters have been readjusting composition for example, since time immemorial. If that's the way you want to portray it - go for it, I say.
I agree, though not everyone does. I've met some interesting "purists" over the years, and while I don't necessarily follow their lead, what they do and what they say about it has at times caused me to reflect. (Of course, I'm talking about individuals who have a commendable body of work to show, not blowhards and wingnuts).

One excellent photographer I met (whose name I forget -- this is about 35 years ago) would not crop any image. When he printed, he printed the edge of the negative frame as well. It was a discipline thing for him. So I gave it a try -- by which I mean that I paid MUCH more attention to framing and composition for the next few months. While I do crop freely, I'm still quite particular about my framing when shooting (and therefore much slower and "deliberate" than other photographers). The great ones can do this much more quickly, of course.

BTW, there are some very good compositions showing up in the thread!