The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Street (images thread)

Godfrey

ZoranC

I have a question for everyone:

If you were choosing between 50, 70 and 100mm effective focal length (25, 35 and 50mm on m43 body) for outdoor and indoor (bars and similar) "street" photography that is mainly focusing on individual rather than a scene (often focusing on torso and closer) which one of these focal lengths you would consider best fit most of the times?

Godfrey

I have a question for everyone:

If you were choosing between 50, 70 and 100mm effective focal length (25, 35 and 50mm on m43 body) for outdoor and indoor (bars and similar) "street" photography that is mainly focusing on individual rather than a scene (often focusing on torso and closer) which one of these focal lengths you would consider best fit most of the times?
A normal lens, 25mm, for the way I like to shoot: I like to be in close most of the time. I love 40mm on this format too, but it's a little tight for street work IMO.

Godfrey

Communicating

Olympus E-5 + Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH
ISO 1250 @ f/1.8 @ 1/15 second

Thanks for looking, comments appreciated.

( BTW: Have I said lately how much I like the Olympus E-5+Summilux 25's ability to work in very dim circumstances with little noise, beautiful resolution and color depth, etc etc etc?

Dang, I'm gonna sound like a fanboy if I keep this up ...!! =:-0 )

]'-)

Godfrey

The 20 to 40 mm range is where I like to be for FourThirds street work. 50mm and up tends to be a little too tight most of the time, forcing distances which cut intimacy. Sometimes I like a little wider too, but for your desired FoV range 25 to 40 mm is just right. Speed is important too as much of the indoor street scenes are rather poorly lit.

The two lenses I use this are the Summilux 25/1.4 and Konica 40mm f/1.8. The ZD 35 is sharper than the 40mm and allows autofocus when that's useful, I use it a lot too, but sometimes that extra stop of speed is very useful.

Rick Waldroup

Thanks for the comments, Godfrey.

I have been so busy lately with other matters that I have barely had time to pick up a camera. Hopefully I will be back in the swing of things in a couple of weeks.

Kevin, I just love that shot of the little dog. Nice stuff.