The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Interesting macro combo

greypilgrim

A couple shots from my weekend Yosemite trip.

Nikkor 20mm f3.5 + k1 extension ring

Getting the focus with the G1 is quite achievable. This combo yields a nice DOF. The second was only achievable using the swivel screen.

Doug

A

awty

Great photos Doug, especially the 2nd.

What adaptor are you using, do you have a picture of it?
I'm finding that my Nikkor lenses aren't as wide when I use them with the adaptor. For example my 24mm lens is more like a 35mm lens, which is a bit of a pain when you want a wider shot. I think it may have some thing to do with the length of the adapter, but all the adaptors I have seen look the same.

Your 20mm lens looks good, I might need to add that to my collection.

Paul

pellicle

agreed ... love that last one a lot

also have to agree that for forest floor shots like that the swivel screen is a champ

greypilgrim

Great photos Doug, especially the 2nd.

What adaptor are you using, do you have a picture of it?
I'm finding that my Nikkor lenses aren't as wide when I use them with the adaptor. For example my 24mm lens is more like a 35mm lens, which is a bit of a pain when you want a wider shot. I think it may have some thing to do with the length of the adapter, but all the adaptors I have seen look the same.

Your 20mm lens looks good, I might need to add that to my collection.

Paul
Paul,

Thanks for the kind words. The second was one of those funny shots. I was busy taking shots of Yosemite Falls across Cook's Meadow including a funky dead tree. And this seed caught my eye as I turned around to head on down the valley floor. I zipped back back to the car, and got the lens combo I needed.

I have the jinfinance nikon f adapter for my nikon lenses. For this macro, I used the Nikkor 20mm f3.5 WITH a K1 extension ring (somewhere around a 12mm ring) thus turning it into a wide angle macro lens (with VERY little working distance).

Of course the 20 behaves like a 40 with the 2x crop on the G1, but by the end of the day, I was having enough fun with the lens combo that I ended up promoting it to a pouch hanging on my belt for easy access.

This particular Nikkor 20mm is reputed to be excellent at shorter distances, okay at infinity, and very good at handling flare. I got the extension ring macro trick a long time ago from Bjorn Roslett (www.naturfotograf.com).

By the way, our 24mm is actually behaving more like a 48mm (like a normal lens on film); there just aren't many primes out there that will get you as wide as the 24mm was on film. Your best bet is to stick with the Panasonic 7-14 or Olympus 9-18. I'd love a Panasonic or Olympus 12mm prime...

Doug

greypilgrim

agreed ... love that last one a lot

also have to agree that for forest floor shots like that the swivel screen is a champ
Glad you liked it. As I said above, it was one of those "out of the corner of my eye" shots.

This was the first chance I had to really put the G1 through its paces for 3 days. I was there with a friend, and there were a number of times he was grumbling (in a good way) about me being able to get shots due the screen where he would have to get in a really awkward position to try and replicate. Getting down low, shooting from up high, or out to the side where I couldn't reach otherwise; that screen made a big difference.

I'm afraid my Nikon D200 which I had as well got little love this trip :). Like so many other have said here, I'm having a lot of fun with this camera.

Thanks,
Doug

pellicle

Doug

By the way, our 24mm is actually behaving more like a 48mm (like a normal lens on film); there just aren't many primes out there that will get you as wide as the 24mm was on film. Your best bet is to stick with the Panasonic 7-14 or Olympus 9-18. I'd love a Panasonic or Olympus 12mm prime...
I think I know just how you feel. It is the bane of digital photography in my opinion. Back when I got my first DSLR I had been using 35mm and 4x5 for some time and quite like the look of my 21mm 24mm (and 75mm, 90mm on the 4x5) but was disappointed at how wide looks on the smaller formats.

Clearly lens choices are no longer small here on the small format.

I've gone down the path of the Olympus 9-18mm for my wide but have found that the price was perhaps not as cheap as I thought when adding the 4/3 to m4/3 adpator.

I have compared the 'look' between a 21mm on full frame (seems silly calling 35mm that ... but I digress) with the Oly at 11mm on my blog here.

I can report that the focus is not fast and I don't think as accurate as the 14-45 is (even at 14). I think the buzzy little geared down electric motor is not as good as the system used inside the Panasonic. I'm beginning to wonder if I might be better served with the Panasonic 7-14 after all.

The combination is not really compact either.

I have compared the 3 lenses here.

bottom line is that I still hanker for something "full frame" to make my 21mm look as I like it to

Audii-Dudii

As you can see, I'm using the NLA F-mount version of the CV 12mm/f5.6 and most of the time, it works very, very well. Occasionally, though, there is some vignetting and smearing of image detail in the corners ... haven't yet figured out why this happens or happens only occasionally, but as I said, for most of the images I capture with it, this isn't a problem.

As you can see, I'm using the NLA F-mount version of the CV 12mm/f5.6 and most of the time, it works very, very well. Occasionally, though, there is some vignetting and smearing of image detail in the corners ... haven't yet figured out why this happens or happens only occasionally, but as I said, for most of the images I capture with it, this isn't a problem.
I think it's because the microlenses on the sensor don't like accepting such oblique light rays--the lens was designed for film, which is a much more forgiving medium, in terms of the angle of light. My M-mount wides are all soft at the corners on m4/3ds; 50 and up is good, though.

I'm saving up for the 7-14 and will buy one when Precision gets them in. I think we are all better off with native wides in this format.

Audii-Dudii

I think it's because the microlenses on the sensor don't like accepting such oblique light rays--the lens was designed for film, which is a much more forgiving medium, in terms of the angle of light. My M-mount wides are all soft at the corners on m4/3ds; 50 and up is good, though.
I understand this well enough. What I don't understand, though, is why this is only an issue occasionally, as the majority of my photos taken with the CV 12mm are sharp out to the edges and evidence only minimal vignetting in the corners.

Intuitively, it seems to me that this should either be a problem all the time or none of the time, and I'm rather clueless as to why it's only a problem some of the time. :confused:

Jonas

I understand this well enough. What I don't understand, though, is why this is only an issue occasionally, (...)

Intuitively, it seems to me that this should either be a problem all the time or none of the time,(...)
I tried a lot of legacy lenses with my G1. Smeared (or whatever) corners were common with wide angle lenses. The problem sometimes went away when i stopped down a fair bit.

Maybe you see the problem in images "wide open" only?

A

awty

Thanks for the info Doug.
I'm fairly new to digital (I have a lot to learn) and wasnt sure whether there was a way around the increased focal length you get from 35mm lenses. Your right the 24mm is about double, but I wasnt sure if I was exaggerating. I do like using using my old Nikkor lenses (which are all AI), I just need to get use to them.

Audii-Dudii

Maybe you see the problem in images "wide open" only?
"Wide-open" on the CV 12mm means f5.6 and Yes, the smeared corners occur frequently when it's used at this aperture. I almost always stop down to f8, though, and as I noted above, I find that they're rarely a problem at this aperture.

Jonas

"Wide-open" on the CV 12mm means f5.6 and Yes, the smeared corners occur frequently when it's used at this aperture. I almost always stop down to f8, though, and as I noted above, I find that they're rarely a problem at this aperture.
Then there is no need to be puzzled anymore... But "rarely" - does that mean you still got smeared corners from time to time also at f/8?

And yes, "wide open" isn't very wide in this case. :)

Jonas

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Sometimes I do, but most times I don't...
Hmm. It seem to have to do with the aperture in a way at least then. Why you still sometimes get smeared borders and corners at f/8 beats me. Sorry. I understand it must be annoying from time to time. The short register distance causes some problems in general, that's what I think.

greypilgrim

Some of them are still top IQ (and top values), like the 20mm, the 55mm Micro or the 105mm/2.5
I have to agree, the 105 f2.5 does quite nicely. So does the 75-150 series E, but it feels a bit unwieldy. I haven't tried my 24m f2.8, 35 f2, or 50 f1.8 yet. The 45 f2.8 pancake also does quite well.

Doug

A

awty

I have to agree, the 105 f2.5 does quite nicely. So does the 75-150 series E, but it feels a bit unwieldy. I haven't tried my 24m f2.8, 35 f2, or 50 f1.8 yet. The 45 f2.8 pancake also does quite well.

Doug
I find the 105 f2.5 a little heavy and bulky and has a bit too much zoom once coupled to an adaptor. I prefer the 85 f2, quite compact and light. The micro 55 f3.5 works well to. Haven't tried my 35 and 50 much yet but will.
Yes there great value and if you decide you dont want one, there easy to resell for what you paid.
Definitely want to get a extension ring to now.