The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

2nd lens for GF1?

J

jerryk

Hi,

I have the 20 pancake kit and want to add a second lens. I plan on using the camera as go anywhere camera for more casual shooting. Any suggestions on which lens I should get?

Jerry

m3photo

Zoom or Fixed Focus?

Hi,

I have the 20 pancake kit and want to add a second lens. I plan on using the camera as go anywhere camera for more casual shooting. Any suggestions on which lens I should get?

Jerry
Zoom or Fixed Focus? The thing is, once you get used to a fast lens, a zoom, albeit the excellent kit offering, will feel wanting in low light. My recommendation would be a Cosina-Voigtländer 50mm f/1.5 as the perfect portrait companion.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I've been finding that the 14-45 is a surprisingly sharp and agree with laptoprob that it makes an excellent companion to the GF1.

Rawfa

I've kept the E-P1's collapsible zoom lens to use it with any micro 4/3 cameras I may buy in the future (the GF1 being the next). It's great for portability and I didn't see any performance issues with it. If you want to check out its performance check out my Budapest series. There are about 50 pictures all taken with the kit lens.

wjlapier

The 14-45 lens is an excellent lens I'll be adding to my GF1 kit eventually.

I have some M lenses I've been playing with. I think if I go out for a day, I might bring the 35 cron ASPH and the tiny 90/4 Elmar LTM.

J

jerryk

Re: Zoom or Fixed Focus?

Zoom or Fixed Focus? The thing is, once you get used to a fast lens, a zoom, albeit the excellent kit offering, will feel wanting in low light. My recommendation would be a Cosina-Voigtländer 50mm f/1.5 as the perfect portrait companion.

That is a good question. If it is small enough I have no issue with a prime. I use primes on my 5DMK2 quite often and find they are the best way to get full performance out of the body. I will look into the 50mm you mention.

gfspencer

I have been pleased with the 14-45mm lens. I don't like it quite as much as I like the 20mm lens but it is a nice lens.

simonclivehughes

For the GF1, I have the 20mm, the CV 50mm f1.5 (as m3photo mentioned above) and the CV 90mm f3.5. The CV 75mm f2.5 is also a beautiful lens.

I do have the 14-45, the 45-200 and the Oly 4/3 9-18mm but I use them mostly on the G1 and GH1 bodies.

Cheers,

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Although the Nokton 50/1.5 is undoubtedly an excellent lens, I'd suggest either the Pen F 38/1.8 or 40/1.4 as smaller, lighter alternative.

The Nokton weighs 243g (8.6oz) and takes 52mm filters whereas the Pen F 40/1.4, for example, weighs 165g (5.8oz) and takes 43mm filters. Plus, since it's a Leica Screw mount lens, the Nokton will require a Screw Mount to M Adapter, in addition to the Leica M to m4/3rds adapter needed to attach it to the GF1.

The Nokton 50/1.5 is almost certainly sharper but, if you're looking for a lovely portrait lens for the GF1, the petite Pen F 38 and 40mm lenses are a natural fit for the G-series cameras.

m3photo

Re: Adapter for Nokton 50/1.5

Plus, since it's a Leica Screw mount lens, the Nokton will require a Screw Mount to M Adapter, in addition to the Leica M to m4/3rds adapter needed to attach it to the GF1.

The Nokton 50/1.5 is almost certainly sharper but, if you're looking for a lovely portrait lens for the GF1, the petite Pen F 38 and 40mm lenses are a natural fit for the G-series cameras.
It's the old "horses for courses" thing again. Good points made here but might I add that there is also a Leica screw-mount to m4/3rds adapter made by Hawkpeng; it's the one I bought for this lens.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Re: Adapter for Nokton 50/1.5

It's the old "horses for courses" thing again. Good points made here but might I add that there is also a Leica screw-mount to m4/3rds adapter made by Hawkpeng; it's the one I bought for this lens.
I didn't realize that Hawkpeng made a direct Leica screw-mount to m4/3rds adapter. That's a powerful point in favor of using Leica screw-mount lenses on the G1 since I have a couple of his Pen F to m4/3rds adapters and they are excellent. This makes all the Voigtlander screw-mount lenses more attractive.

monza

I have to say I'm also impressed with the Pana 14-140 zoom. Build quality is impressive, as are the results. Perhaps a bit slow but it does have IS.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I have to say I'm also impressed with the Pana 14-140 zoom. Build quality is impressive, as are the results. Perhaps a bit slow but it does have IS.
IIRC Jono Slack returned (or was thinking of returning) the Pana 14-140 -- not because he was unhappy with the build quality or results but rather because it was too big and heavy. For the same reason, I'd prefer three or four primes to a 14-140 zoom unless I was shooting a lot of video. In which case I'd probably buy the Pana 14-140 in an instant.

ggibson

I'm considering what I'd want for a second lens also. Seems like any of the Panasonic m4/3 lenses would be a good addition, just depending on what you want to shoot. Here are my impressions based on others' comments (I only own the 20mm myself):

14-45 is very small and an all-around good performer. Also, it's pretty inexpensive.
14-140 has a huge range but is definitely larger than the kit zoom. Best choice for video though.
7-14 is very expensive, but excellent quality and it is hard to find cheap wide alternatives anyways
45-200 is good but not quite as sharp as the others. Inexpensive though, and very long zoom range for its size (but big by m4/3 standards).

Personally, I might just opt for the 45-200mm because I've never had a zoom that long and it'd be fun to try out.

monza

For a 10x zoom, I didn't consider the 14-140 all that big. But I guess I'm used to my old 80-200 AFS Nikkor. :)

The 7-14 is really not all that expensive...the Nikkor 12-24/4 for APS cameras is about the same price.

jonoslack

Hi There

For a 10x zoom, I didn't consider the 14-140 all that big. But I guess I'm used to my old 80-200 AFS Nikkor. :)

The 7-14 is really not all that expensive...the Nikkor 12-24/4 for APS cameras is about the same price.
What Jonathon said about the 14-140. I had no complaints about the IQ, but it was big, and so slow that even with IS shooting at 300 equivalent at f5.6 was often too much.

I agree that for what it is it isn't big . . . but it made the camera unwieldy.

On the other hand, I'd agree with others - the 14-45 is a stellar little lens, almost unbelievably good quality considering the price

Last edited: