The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wow ... the Olympus 14-35 f/2 is quite a lens!

Audii-Dudii

I know it looks funny mounted on a G1 (let alone a GF1!), but last night I (finally) had an opportunity to use the one I bought a while ago for the first time. This morning, looking at the images I captured, I'm blown away by its 1) its IQ and 2) its resolution ... as I said, Wow! I don't know if I dare to ask (as I've also just purchased a 35-100 f/2 ... ka-ching!), but does the 7-14mm also perform this well?

T

terryc

I know it looks funny mounted on a G1 (let alone a GF1!), but last night I (finally) had an opportunity to use the one I bought a while ago for the first time. This morning, looking at the images I captured, I'm blown away by its 1) its IQ and 2) its resolution ... as I said, Wow! I don't know if I dare to ask (as I've also just purchased a 35-100 f/2 ... ka-ching!), but does the 7-14mm also perform this well?
I use all three, and the 7-14 is as good as it gets...

Best regards, Terry

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Totally agree on the 7-14 Olympus ZD. It is one of the best, if not the best, WA zoom, IMHO.

Kind regards,

Brian Mosley

Yes, fantastic with the G1 :D

G1 + ZD 7-14

It balances much better on the E-30 though...

E-30 + ZD 7-14
1/25s f/4.0 at 7.0mm iso800

E-30 + ZD 7-14
1/3s f/4.0 at 7.0mm iso100

E-30 + ZD 7-14
1/10s f/4.0 at 7.0mm iso800

Cheers

Brian

Audii-Dudii

You folks were supposed to tell me the 7-14mm is overpriced and not worth the money. But nooo, you all had to rave about it, so now when the B&H site opens for business again this evening, I guess I have no choice but to order one. Thanks for nothing! :rolleyes:

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Audll,

I really think that you will enjoy using the 7-14 Olympus ZD. To my, it is worth every penny...

Kind regards,

V

Vivek

I think if Olympus made the same lenses in m4/3rds mount:

1. We will have a delightful choices of spectacular lenses.
2. Will offset any competition from Pana.

:salute:

pellicle

Hi

You folks were supposed to tell me the 7-14mm is overpriced and not worth the money. But nooo, you all had to rave about it, so now when the B&H site opens for business again this evening, I guess I have no choice but to order one. Thanks for nothing! :rolleyes:
I'm not sure if you were asking about the Pany 7-14 or the ZD as you were talking aboutthe G1 ... in which case you should consider the Panasonic 7-14

it might be cheaper too

Brian's point on balance on the G1 is pertinate, for example from this fellows flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21122418@N07/3710858233/

Audii-Dudii

I'm not sure if you were asking about the Pany 7-14 or the ZD as you were talking aboutthe G1 ... in which case you should consider the Panasonic 7-14
I was referring to the Olympus 7-14, not the Panasonic version. Truth be told (and unlike most people, apparently), the G1's 14-45 zoom was a bit of a disappointment to me. Coming from a DMC-L1 with its gorgeous Leica-inspired/designed/blessed 14-50 f/2.8 zoom, I guess it's no surprise that I'd hoped for more even though I accept that there are limits as to what can be accomplished for the $549 I paid for my G1 outfit. (FWIW, the 20mm f/1.7 that came with my GF1 performs more on par with my expectations, but of course I paid $350 more for that combo than I did for the G1.)

Of course, I'm primarily a tripod shooter, so the size penalty incurred by the Oly version isn't so much of a problem for me, plus I want to keep my options open for the future and buying somewhat expensive lenses (~$5,500 worth for a $549 camera ... LOL. I must have gone insane!) in the 4/3 format instead of m4/3 format seems to be a safer bet...

Audii-Dudii

I think if Olympus made the same lenses in m4/3rds mount:

1. We will have a delightful choices of spectacular lenses.
2. Will offset any competition from Pana.
If only to keep my options open for the future, I'd probaby would buy the 4/3 format versions regardless. That said, it sure would be nice if Olympus' autofocus would work when the lenses are mounted on a Panasonic body...

In any event, based upon my experience so far with the 14-35 and 35-100 zooms, I can honestly say these lenses are indeed spectacular performers and while I never intended to end up owning more than $5,000 worth of glass for my "budget" G1, I'm glad the option was available to me as (IMO) the results have more than justified the expense.

RichA

Did they ever fix the focusing problems that lens had? Apart from that, it's quality is astounding. As for the 7-14mm, it's a great lens, but there is no reason to spend the extra money or put up with the extra bulk over the Panasonic 7-14mm.

Brian Mosley

In any event, based upon my experience so far with the 14-35 and 35-100 zooms, I can honestly say these lenses are indeed spectacular performers and while I never intended to end up owning more than $5,000 worth of glass for my "budget" G1, I'm glad the option was available to me as (IMO) the results have more than justified the expense.
If you're using those lenses, the E-P1 being able to focus with all of them (though slowly) is worth consideration... face detection works very well.

E-P1 + ZD 35-100mm f2
1/160s f/2.0 at 57.0mm iso200

Cheers

Brian

P

Pennyanne

I know it's off topic, but I've noticed before, Brian, what an utterly beautiful girl your daughter is

Audii-Dudii

Here's one of the first images I captured with the 14-35 on my G1 at the park up the street from my house. Wow ... I'm finally able to play around with selective focus again!. :)