The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Blends

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
I had done some experimenting with blends and texture a while back, inspired by some of Mark Tucker's work (his Salton Sea series) but put it aside after a while.

This thread got me inspired again.

This is the state capitol building in Albany, New York. Shot one evening last summer with the Panasonic G1 and Lensbaby composer. The texture is scanned, black matboard that I scored with sandpaper.

Amazing shot Bob. And I love the texture that you used.
Hope you post more often.
Mike

woodyspedden

I had done some experimenting with blends and texture a while back, inspired by some of Mark Tucker's work (his Salton Sea series) but put it aside after a while.

This thread got me inspired again.

This is the state capitol building in Albany, New York. Shot one evening last summer with the Panasonic G1 and Lensbaby composer. The texture is scanned, black matboard that I scored with sandpaper.

In the main I have found recently that most blends are just experimental attempts and have no inspiration for me. (I am sure that will change as folks really make serious attempts to use the technique to produce fine art.)

However this shot really does it for me. The end result is a somewhat eerie but very effective use of the technique. It has inspired me to attempt some blending shots on my own.

Congratulations

Woody Spedden

btrancho

In the main I have found recently that most blends are just experimental attempts and have no inspiration for me. (I am sure that will change as folks really make serious attempts to use the technique to produce fine art.)

However this shot really does it for me. The end result is a somewhat eerie but very effective use of the technique. It has inspired me to attempt some blending shots on my own.

Congratulations

Woody Spedden
Yes, it comes off more like a castle in the Transylvania mountains than a government building :) but as I was working I liked the way the Lensbaby blur worked with the texture and B&W post processing to give it a sort of Rocky Schenck look.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Congratulations

Woody Spedden
I think most folks contributing to the several threads on blends, bokehs, OOF, etc are serious about their attempts to use the techniques to produce fine art. But, of course you can be very serious, but not be a Picasso or a Hockney. Have to keep trying though.

I would have thought that many of the images in these blending threads would have given you inspiration. Maybe you have not seen them all? Looking forward to seeing yours.

Keith

Last edited:

JBurnett

Prague Castle, double exposure
Another stellar image, Mike!

Hoo, boy! This old dog is having fun learning new tricks. But it's certainly not straightforward. Every time I think I might predict how a blend will go, I find I'm wrong. Of course, being wrong can lead to some interesting new experiences. :)

Milkweed Pods in Winter (original colour shots are in the 45mm Macro field test thread):

Diane B

Hoo, boy! This old dog is having fun learning new tricks. But it's certainly not straightforward. Every time I think I might predict how a blend will go, I find I'm wrong. Of course, being wrong can lead to some interesting new experiences. :)

Milkweed Pods in Winter (original colour shots are in the 45mm Macro field test thread):

There was nothing wrong with the originals, but these really are so much more interesting. I like them very much.

Diane

ustein

Contributing Editor

One word: Wow!

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member

These images are really beautiful. It's good that you don't know what to expect. Your creating as you go. That's what makes it exciting. I look forward to seeing more .
Mike

m3photo

Away for a while

Wow! Can't leave you folks for a minute can I? I've been away just for a day and a half and I come back to find all this wealth of creativity! I'm glad to see more contributors on board too. The synergy's indeed beginning to work ... :)

Still trying:

JBurnett

Thanks for the compliments, Diane, Uwe and Mike. I'm still a "photographer" at heart, but I took up the hobby as a means of visual expression. So while I'm a real newbie at this kind of manipulation, I'm enjoying the creative aspect of the work, and I'm really taken by the images that everyone is posting.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Thanks for the compliments, Diane, Uwe and Mike. I'm still a "photographer" at heart, but I took up the hobby as a means of visual expression. So while I'm a real newbie at this kind of manipulation, I'm enjoying the creative aspect of the work, and I'm really taken by the images that everyone is posting.
>I'm still a "photographer" at heart

Me too. The interesting fact is that I find the blends most of the time more interesting.

Here is an image that I don't want to blend at all. I think the clean shiny look works fine.

This image looks also clean in original (sky and pyramid). It is so clean that it is borderline boring. The blend makes it way more interesting (not sure I have the optimal texture yet, textures that fit best are also hard to find).

JBurnett

Me too. The interesting fact is that I find the blends most of the time more interesting.

Here is an image that I don't want to blend at all. I think the clean shiny look works fine.

This image looks also clean in original (sky and pyramid). It is so clean that it is borderline boring. The blend makes it way more interesting (not sure I have the optimal texture yet, textures that fit best are also hard to find).
Uwe, I agree with your choices. The car photo has it's own texture (smooth metal and chrome grill) that is part of its native appeal. While it might still work blended, it is beautiful on its own. The pyramid structure seems to work well in a blend because of the strong, simple shapes.

m3photo

Re: Milkweed Pods in Winter

So while I'm a real newbie at this kind of manipulation ...
That's as maybe but your "Milkweed Pods in Winter" set puts you up among the best at this technique IMO - (there's no "green with envy" Smilie - how about it Guy and Jack?) :toocool: