The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Historical places close to where you live - show off yours !

Annna T

Hi Lisa,

Yes this is the place ! Thanks for your kind words. Glad you appreciated the place and the icecreams.. although we are better known for our cheese and cheese meals and even more for our wines. But after all, Italy where the best icecreams are made is only two hours away from there.

Hi Rafael,

Thanks for your kind words, yes, I've been very lucky to find a home with a view.

I've now been able to look at your pictures (they wouldn't load up yesterday, I could only get their titles..) and they are wonderfull. I liked the Grand Place in Bruxelles (the one taken at a 7mm focal length) and the Beguinage in Brugges, especially the pictures with the yellow dafodils. Bruxelles brought back good memories of Gueuse, Krieg and other beers I had the occasion to taste there in typical brasseries. From Bruxelles, I do also remember a lot of very nice "hôtels particuliers dans le style art nouveau" (not sure how to translate that in English).

Michiel,

Thanks for your appreciation. I'm now living here all the year, so I have all the time I want to look for special light and weather conditions.

seakayaker

I have enjoyed the photos throughout this thread and thought I would give it a little nudge . . . . . .

The Smith Tower
( . . . . . or view of the top twelve floors)
Constucted between 1911 - 1914 and when completed it was 42 stories high (522 feet/ 159 meters) tall and considered one of the tallest skyscrapers in the world outside of New York City. The tower has 2314 windows and they can all be opened. http://www.glasssteelandstone.com/BuildingDetail/579.php

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 90mm f/2.8 -- ISO 100 -- f/2.8 -- 1/2000 -- 90mm

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I really like the way you have carried that processing through the entire series, Raf. It suits the subject very well

Keith

f6cvalkyrie

Today, not exactly a historical place, but a historical activity : steam powered trains !

We have a historical railroad trajectory in Mariembourg, that we visited last saturday, and here's an impression !

More here :

http://s643.photobucket.com/albums/uu153/f6cvalkyrie/excursion botte du hainaut/

Shot with the G1 and 7-14, 14-45 and 45-200mm Panny lenses
Edited in Lightroom using the Silver, Color and HDR Efex plugins from NIK

Looking forward to your comments,
Rafael

f6cvalkyrie

Spring has arrived, and we started visiting historical places again ;)
Last Sunday, we were in Tournai (Doornik).
Here's a few pics !

(the 5 towers of Notre Dame Cathedral)

(stained glass)

(the roofs of Tournai and the Cathedral)

(Cloth hall)

C U,
Rafael

f6cvalkyrie

Reviving my old thread, since we visited another historical place yesterday.

We were at the "Orval" Monastery, that some of you might know for it's beer and cheese as well.

This is how the place looks ...

Have a nice day,
Rafael

jlm

Workshop Member
Freedom Tower on site of world trade towers; by now the exterior is complete; about six blocks from my home in nyc

Last edited: