The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Historical places close to where you live - show off yours !

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

My wife & I like to go visit historical sites in our country, and I do take a lot of pictures at such occasion.

So I thought, why not start a topic where everyone can show off the pictures of historical sites ?? It has both a photographic interest and can help us all choose future destinations for travel !

So, let me start the topic with some pics I shot yesterday at the Abbey of Villers-la-Ville.

Information about this site can be found here :

http://www.villers.be/en/

The pics were shot with the G1 (handheld & some on tripod), and a selection of AF and MF lenses : 7-14mm / 14-45mm / 55mm Micro / 180mm ED

C U,
Rafael

Bill Gordon

These are facades or part of facades of old buildings in Toronto that were pulled down in the '50s to make way for towers!!

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
This is an historic site near where my mother lives in the UK

12th Century Barn - Cressing Temple
G1 with Oly 9-18

Keith

sangio

You folks in Europe are fortunate to have so many historical places all around you. Here in Canada, any building older than 100 years is considered ancient...

Here are two "older" historical buildings near my home.

regards
Santo

Grist Mill, circa 1846

Quaker Meeting House, circa 1865

JBurnett

Compared to Europe, Canadian edifices are quite young. Quebec City, however, celebrated its 400th anniversary in 2008. In "Vieux Quebec", the older part of the city situated within the fortifications, there are many houses and buildings dating back to the 17th and 18th centuries. This shot is from Basse-Ville (lower town), looking uphill to the Chateau Frontenac -- one of a series of chateau-style hotels built by the Canadian Pacific Railway at the end of the 19th century and start of the 20th.

Quebec city overlooks a narrowing of the St. Lawrence river, which made it important militarily. It was dubbed the "Gibralter of North America" by some. This shot was taken from the Citadel, situated at the top of the cliff overlooking the river. The Chateau Frontenac certainly dominates the skyline of Vieux Quebec.

Both shots taken with the G1 and 14-45mm.

JBurnett

Where I live. The Toronto Flatiron building, 1891 (ten years before the more famous New York Flatiron).

University of Toronto, the first college of which was founded in 1827 by Royal Charter (George IV).

f6cvalkyrie

Really lovely places shown here, and excellent photography :thumbs:

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this :D
Rafael

JBurnett

Oh,,,BUMP! I was looking forward to more pics, too. So let me break the rules and see if anyone else joins in. The following pics were taken with the two cameras I replaced with the G1. And they weren't local. But it's unlikey I'll get back there with the Panasonic.

Ballycarbery Castle, County Kerry, Ireland.

Cahergall Ring Fort, County Kerry, Ireland.

Teampall Bheanain, Inis Mor, Aran Islands, Ireland.

Dun Aengus Ring Fort, Inis Mor, Aran Islands, Ireland.

f6cvalkyrie

Thanks for posting these, JBurnett, Ireland is on my wishlist for a holiday trip, but the weather is allways a challenge :(

C U,
Rafael

JBurnett

Ireland is on my wishlist for a holiday trip, but the weather is allways a challenge :(
Rain gear, for you and your camera. If you're lucky, it's what the Irish call a "soft" rain. These pictures were taken during two 8-day walking tours, one in July and the other in August. It rained at some point on maybe 12 out of 16 days. On perhaps 2 days the camera was packed away for the whole morning or the whole afternoon because the rain was coming down very hard (we were still hiking, though). However, I don't recall ANY day when I was not able to take pictures at all.

Diane B

You folks in Europe are fortunate to have so many historical places all around you. Here in Canada, any building older than 100 years is considered ancient...

Here are two "older" historical buildings near my home.

regards
Santo
Its the same in parts of the US. I live in what's really 'Daniel Boone' country--west of Winston-Salem, NC and north of Charlotte where 100 (actually our house is 102 yrs old.) is old except for some examples of log buildings. East of here in North Carolina there are some quite old (relatively speaking) buildings nearer the coast--and even in the county (Caswell--near the VA line) where we used to live where the house/farm next to us would be about 275 years old now and ours was about 100+--it was like moving back in time as there were no red lights, no incorporated towns, even the county seat). Unfortunately I haven't shot anything historical (except in the Great Smokies) with the m4/3rds--lots of others in past years, and I need to make some excursions to shoot some more.

This was one of my favorites early on (and I've posted it before)---I'm guessing it was built a bit after mid-19th century--it is south and west of us in Cleveland Co.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Willy Lott's cottage at Flatford in Suffolk, UK
16th Century - featured in John Constable's painting "The Hay Wain"
G1 with kit lens
Keith

Michiel Schierbeek

This one is not so near my other home, hope it´s allowed. :)
Can´t remember which garden of which Loire castle it was. :deadhorse:

Shot with the E-300

f6cvalkyrie

This one is not so near my other home, hope it´s allowed. :)
Can´t remember which garden of which Loire castle it was. :deadhorse:
It's a very nice pic, Michiel, and their gardener can come and help me here whenever he wants :D:D

But, as you seem to live in Amsterdam, you must certainly be able to find some historical buildings closer to you, Michiel ??

Have a nice day,
Rafael

Michiel Schierbeek

It's a very nice pic, Michiel, and their gardener can come and help me here whenever he wants :D:D

But, as you seem to live in Amsterdam, you must certainly be able to find some historical buildings closer to you, Michiel ??

Have a nice day,
Rafael
Hi Rafael,
There are certainly a lot of historical buildings around here but I did not photograph them till now because I can see them everyday :D
I'll see what I can do.
I do live in France from time to time so I do have some off around there.
More exotic for me, I suppose.
Kind regards, Michiel