The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

bambi vs godzilla

pellicle

everyone who knows me knows that I think differently ... sometimes this results in me making comparisons which others find illogical

Back when I used film I felt that there was always more in there than I could get out, when I started looking at RAW images from my Nikon Coolpix 5000 camera back in 2003 or so I was thinking that "wow ... if only I had this pixel density in a bigger sensor"

Well it occurred to me that per square cm of sensor that a G1 represents about 5500 dpi scan while a Canon 5DMkII represents about 4000 dpi

I've been waiting to get my hands on one to compare it to my G1 at a per cm basis

I did that today, and I've posted my thoughts on that here.

I think that one of the interesting findings is that the cameras both cost about the same per Kg ... about €1100 / Kg.

Another is that the micro 4/3 really does give smaller lenses ...

both similar angle of view, both image stabilised ...
After playing with the Canon for an hour or so I'm really glad I'm taking my G1 on my holidays to Italy / Spain / France in a few weeks... and not a 5DMkII

:)

scho

everyone who knows me knows that I think differently ... sometimes this results in me making comparisons which others find illogical

Back when I used film I felt that there was always more in there than I could get out, when I started looking at RAW images from my Nikon Coolpix 5000 camera back in 2003 or so I was thinking that "wow ... if only I had this pixel density in a bigger sensor"

Well it occurred to me that per square cm of sensor that a G1 represents about 5500 dpi scan while a Canon 5DMkII represents about 4000 dpi

I've been waiting to get my hands on one to compare it to my G1 at a per cm basis

I did that today, and I've posted my thoughts on that here.

I think that one of the interesting findings is that the cameras both cost about the same per Kg ... about €1100 / Kg.

Another is that the micro 4/3 really does give smaller lenses ...

both similar angle of view, both image stabilised ...
After playing with the Canon for an hour or so I'm really glad I'm taking my G1 on my holidays to Italy / Spain / France in a few weeks... and not a 5DMkII

:)
Nice comparison Pellicle. I've been using my G1 for over a year now and I continue to be impressed by the file quality from this little camera and the Panasonic glass. The G1 (and also GF1) is also my travel choice for a light weight kit. I also have the 5D2 which I like very much, but not for travel. The G1 files stand up very well to the 5D2, particularly if a little extra effort is expended in capture and post to ensure the highest possible image quality. Below is a shot I took today with the 5D2 and a shot of the same scene last year about this time taken with the G1. Both make comparable quality 18x24 inch prints.

5D2

G1

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Yeah, gotta love the 5d's...and that 24-105 is my fav lens....
never thought about mounting on my Pen tho.....might be kinda lopsided...
shooter