The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P2 out

Diane B

I'm not kicking myself for getting the GF1 last month.
Nor me. My main goal was the 20, but I find myself enjoying shooting with the GF1 a lot--and the EVF is fine for the body and I have the G1 for longer lenses, critical shooting, etc.

Photomorgana

EP2 is exactly what I've been waiting for. As long as the VF is at least as good as in G1. It will be a great tool for people who prefer to use MF lenses.

Terry

I'm happy with my GF1/GH1 combo. So, no regrets. Would be curious to see if they've done anything to improve the user interface on the E-P2 which is what ultimately let me down on the E-P1. I wonder if focus tracking could be implemented by way of firmware from the E-P1.

Even if the EVF design wasn't complete, it surprises me they didn't put the "port" for external devices in the E-P1.

I didn't hear when the next two lenses will be available. Also curious to see a more complete lens roadmap.

terry

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The Oly EVF should be much better than the Panasonic one given the much higher resolution alone and the high ISO performance is at least promising.

Add the built in image stabilization - which is great for the lenses without any OS, then this should be a really winner.

And finally it is black now again.

etrigan63

I just saw the video over at Imaging Resource and it was filmed in the room next to where I was interviewing the Olympus PR guys and they were lying straight to my face. I came to them honestly and willing to sign and abide by whatever NDA they had and they treated me like an idiot. I have lost all respect for those guys.

Terry

The most striking thing for me in the video is how shiny and reflective the black body is.

Y.B.Hudson III

more toys...stupid ergonomics...in the re@L WORLD OF CROWDS AND HERDS... clip on view finders have a very short half life... something like the old Leica M ergonomics would keep the nose off the LCD, and vanish the "cLip on EVF" to the life stylers and posers

regards Hudson

Last edited:

Terry

it does ... here's hoping its not as whiizzz whizz whirr as the 4/3 version is

does anyone have the 7-14 pany to compare it?
Won't be out until the first half of 2010. So you have at a bare minimum approx. 2 months to wait or as much as almost 8 months.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well I find it a great nice camera. Only thing which strikes me is rather the handling and feel of the Oly MFT lenses.

pellicle

Hi

more toys...stupid ergonomics...in the re@L WORLD OF CROWDS AND HERDS... clip on view finders have a very short half life... something like the old Leica M ergonomics would keep the nose off the LCD, and vanish the "cLip on EVF" to the life stylers and posers
with the GF-1 for instance they could ditch the flash and put a basic optical viewfinder there!

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I retract my previous comment about Thom Hogan getting it wrong. The just-released Olympus lens roadmap promises:

* a fisheye (8mm?)
* a wide (14mm?)
* a macro (45mm)
* a super telephoto zoom (90-270mm?)

In other words, Olympus will almost exactly duplicate the Panasonic lens range.

Their lack of courage and imagination is almost beyond belief.

Just as well the Chinese and Taiwanese manufacturers will promptly provide adapters that will allow us to use our legacy MF lenses on Samsung's upcoming and Sony's rumored APS-C sensor EVIL cameras. And that the cost of the EVIL camera bodies is not so high as to discourage one from easily switching systems.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I retract my previous comment about Thom Hogan getting it wrong. The just-released Olympus lens roadmap promises:

* a fisheye (8mm?)
* a wide (14mm?)
* a macro (45mm)
* a super telephoto zoom (90-270mm?)

In other words, Olympus will almost exactly duplicate the Panasonic lens range.

Their lack of courage and imagination is almost beyond belief.

Just as well the Chinese and Taiwanese manufacturers will promptly provide adapters that will allow us to use our legacy MF lenses on Samsung's upcoming and Sony's rumored APS-C sensor EVIL cameras. And that the cost of the EVIL camera bodies is not so high as to discourage one from easily switching systems.
Well,

actually what did you think would happen? Why should Oly become creative suddenly?

Olympus is one of the most conservative and careful companies and it takes them years to correct wrong directions.

Although I believe that MFT is a good direction and a real market gap. And the E-P2 is a very promising camera, I like it much better from the specs and controls than the E-P1 and the GF1.