The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P2 out

V

Vivek

Can the EVF on the Olympus be used on the GF1? .
Good question! This is what I asked about GF-1's EVF as well (being a "system" camera and all) and a few GF owners got very defensive about that.

What is the point of these detachable accessories if they are not compatible with other cameras from the same system?

They (m4/3rds players) might as well start copying Sigma and make dp style cameras that may end up being more compact...

laptoprob

My first thoughts too. The connector of both finders looks very much the same and is in very much the same position. So, it just might be exchangeable. Good question for the dealers. Who else will have both finders?
About the size: I don't know if the Panny finder really is that much smaller. The Oly has a much higher pixelcount, so it must be bigger.

Terry

And the E-P2 is a very promising camera, I like it much better from the specs and controls than the E-P1 and the GF1.
I'm not sure what specs you are referring to. The only changes I can see are:

EVF - looks very good
Body Color
AF Tracking - will be interesting to see how this works with sluggish AF
2 new art filters

Not changed
AF speed
LCD
Interface

Terry

My first thoughts too. The connector of both finders looks very much the same and is in very much the same position. So, it just might be exchangeable. Good question for the dealers. Who else will have both finders?
About the size: I don't know if the Panny finder really is that much smaller. The Oly has a much higher pixelcount, so it must be bigger.
The finders are NOT compatible. It was noted in several of the hands on previews.

pellicle

Hi

And the E-P2 is a very promising camera, I like it much better from the specs and controls than the E-P1 and the GF1.
I don't see much specification from the dpreview to tell them apart ... to me the major difference is black vs white.

Heck, I can't even find any metric for AF (on many cameras really) in any way apart from the subjective usage method.

monza

950.00 euros = $1406.00= OUCH
I wonder if that projected price included the viewfinder. Probably not.

U.S. Pricing / Product Configurations
E-P2 Body with ED 14-42mm f3.5/5.6 Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens and Electronic View Finder
Estimated Street Price: $1099.99
E-P2 Body with 17mm f2.8 Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens and Electronic View Finder
Estimated Street Price: $1099.99

monza

Also: Full manual control of aperture and shutter in movie mode.

Full PR is here:

http://bit.ly/3GUcn3

I'm not sure what specs you are referring to. The only changes I can see are:

EVF - looks very good
Body Color
AF Tracking - will be interesting to see how this works with sluggish AF
2 new art filters

Not changed
AF speed
LCD
Interface

pellicle

perhaps I missed something but why is there so much hype about the EP when the G1 is in almost any way I can think of a better camera?

I mean I get tired of hearing the G1 compared to digicams like the FZ-28 while everyone seems to rave about the EP as it it was some sort of major difference?

Aside from the sensor shift stabilisation (and I have yet to even see a comparison on how well it works with different sorts of shake) the Oly is like a Harley Davidson ... compared to jap bikes (CBR, ZX-R ...) which are 50% cheaper its big on look but won't go fast, won't corner, under braked and under powered.

To my readings the EP (1 or 2) have inferior rear screen, inferior auto-focus, frustrating menu systems ... heck I can flip my screen around on my G1, not bother with the view finder and I have everything the same (with a better grip)

what did I miss?

ohh ... yeah ... and 100 euro in my pocket

monza

:) But it has that annoying faux prism!

I like my G1 today as much as I did a year ago when I got it.

pellicle

:) But it has that annoying faux prism!
well ... ok you got me there ... that was dinky
:shocked:

... but my wife loves the flash on it so go figga?

I like my G1 today as much as I did a year ago when I got it.
perhaps its just the I never once saw as much hype over the G1 as the EP

to anyone, where are the comparisons or specs please which suggest that the EP attachment finder is of [equal | lesser | greater] quality than the GF-1?

monza

The G1 prism was no problem for me, but it was a common complaint on other forums. Now that the E-P2 EVF is out, maybe people will start looking back at the G1 and realizing just how good a design it is.

Terry

to anyone, where are the comparisons or specs please which suggest that the EP attachment finder is of [equal | lesser | greater] quality than the GF-1?
Both the preview from DPReview and Imaging Resource agree that it is higher spec and works better. I have no doubt that it is very good.

Diane B

I guess the faux prism hump never bothered me as much as others LOL. It serves a purpose it seems--the GF1 and EP2 have HUGE 'humps' for their EVFs (though removable). I will say that I do like the grip also for a lot of shooting.

I generally have both with me (I realize not everyone can have 2 bodies)with 2 lenses mounted. I do like the GF1 on neck strap and I've been a totally 'not around my neck' person for years. Just with the 20--or even the 14-45 its 'neckable' and I won't carry the G1 around my neck. But then--if I could only have one--it would be the G1 (or the GH1) since its more versatile for me. For me, its a different shooting experience between the G1 and GF1.

pellicle

Its interesting going back and reading reviews of the G1 (http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DMCG1/DMCG1A.HTM) and how critical they were of it in some respects. I think that if the EP had been released first the G1 would have had a better write up ... but being first it had to be so much better to be treated as equal

Personally I'm still very happy with my G1 and would only be interested in the EP as my second camera ...

since I am in that market I need to consider if it (as it seems that it comes with the optical finder) will serve better than the GF-1

pellicle

On the subject of bias, for instance ...

EP review:

Despite the excellent image quality, fine form, and easy workflow, the Olympus E-P1's IS system and zoom lens tended to hiccup at inopportune moments, introducing blur into my images.
Its good quality at high ISO makes the Olympus E-P1 a very good available-light camera, which includes liberal use indoors.
But the Olympus E-P1 with the 17mm lens hits the right spots for this photographer: great still image performance, very usable high ISO images, good optical quality, a prime lens with more to come, easy portability, and a certain charm that makes you want to take pictures.
but yet about the G1

Because the sensor is smaller than modern APS-C-sized digital SLRs, you'd expect image quality to be slightly lower, but printed results really show surprising parity.
though nothing was mentioned like this in the E-3 review

Just bear in mind that Panasonic is doing more than a little post-processing to improve distortion and chromatic aberration numbers, something we also saw with the Panasonic LX3.
If action is your thing, you'd do better with an SLR. But as a second camera or a small primary shooter that will let you shoot at odd angles and carry a smaller camera bag, the Panasonic Lumix G1 is impressive
so it seems to me that the EP is always just discussed while the G1 gets compared to high speed DSLRs and small sensor compacts ...

smells like Panasonic is getting a rub ... to me at least

Bill Gordon

As a long time owner of Olympus digital cameras I am disappointed with a company that produces a beautiful small and light camera and in a very short time destroys its' value by bringing a successor out so quickly....and such an ugly looking creature it is. we must remember that the man that designed the E-P1 passed on......so this is the best that his successor can do?

I won't blame Panasonic, altho their entry into this market has probably upset the plans of Oly and it would appear that the Panny is much more popular now so what does that say about the originator of the 4/3rds concept?

monza

It appears to me that neither company is reaching their full potential in the micro 4/3 market. Olympus has the retro styling, in-body IS, but the EVF, no matter how good it may be, looks like a complete design afterthought. The Olympus menu system is far too complicated compared to the Panasonic. On the other hand, Panasonic has continuing serious channel distribution problems. Why is it so difficult for them to build to the demand?