The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P2 out

Diane B

I'm just surprised (maybe I shouldn't be) that Amazon doesn't do a bit of checking on their 'sellers'. Prior to the recent pricing by one particular seller (which I never heard of), you could buy the GF1 kit at a normal price. That's totally price gouging--I wonder where they get their stock. One assumes from Panasonic, so perhaps they should check on their resellers.

Yep, Robert, maybe you should up your prices and see what happens LOL.

Diane

Terry

LOL, what I find even more frustrating is Panny's seeming inability to supply enough cameras to sell. Right now on Amazon the GF-1 kits are selling for 2x the MSRP.
It may as well be vapor ware.
But the G-1 and GH-1 are available...go figure.
Lili,
Panasonic.com has certainly had stock. It says backordered but if they let you place the order you can bet that they have an idea that stock is coming. You will have to pay sales tax from Panasonic. Also, if you are going to order from them be sure to register with them. That ensures your order is directly with Panny and isn't routed to their fulfillment company.

PeterB666

Aside from the sensor shift stabilisation (and I have yet to even see a comparison on how well it works with different sorts of shake) the Oly is like a Harley Davidson ... compared to jap bikes (CBR, ZX-R ...) which are 50% cheaper its big on look but won't go fast, won't corner, under braked and under powered.
As for the sensor shift stabilisation in the E-P1, I can assure you that it works significantly better than the image stabilisation in the G1 with the 20mm f/1.7 ;) BTW, the movie mode in the G1 doesn't do quite as well as the E-P1 either :ROTFL:

I can confirm that there is no significant difference between the in-body image stabilisation of the E-P1 and the in-lens version in the Panasonic 45-200 zoom. I have this lens and use it with the E-P1.

The comparision with the Harley Davidson is interesting. I have always considered them to be large and bloated & heavier than they need to be. Sounds more like the G1. Maybe you are implying that people with the E-P1 are generally tough, large and hairy? Oh, when was the last time Harley Davidson won a motorcycle Grand Prix?

PeterB666

A bit more seriously compared to my last post, I have seen 1 preliminary report on a pre-release model of the E-P2 indicate that the tracking focus works which is surprising as there is no other improvement to the AF. I wonder if Olympus will add tracking focus as a firmware download? Somehow I doubt is as the E-P1 pricing is a little steep.

The external microphone feature is neat and a necessity to any half-serious movie mode. Years ago, I use to use a flash shoe mounted boom mike with my cine camera but as the microphone adapter takes up the flash shoe, I can see a few external brackets in use. One with a nice grip on the left would do nicely.

It would have been neat if a flash sync socket was built into the EVF.

I am not too sure of the black finish on the stainless steel. I had a similar finish on my Nikon S710 and that scratched easily.

PeterB666

Panasonic has a most unusual way of doing business. The 20mm lenses are going for $600 on Amazon. I don't know if anyone is actually buying them at that price...maybe when we get the next shipment I'll jack up the price and see what happens. ;)
I think you will find that they are not US stock. Non-US pricing is significantly higher. For example, in Australia the recommended retail price is $799 Australian which works out at around $719 USD.

http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=5376

Amazon will not ship US Panasonic camera gear to Australia and I gave up waiting for B&H and Adorama, finally getting my lens from Japan. After shipping costs were taken into account, it only worked out about $15 more than the US price from B&H (had I been able to get one) and about 35% cheaper than in Australia. The lens isn't shipping in Austalia yet, and the cheapest way to get it is to buy it with the camera and flog the camera on eBay. Almost did that, but it really wasn't worth the effort making eBay and PayPal richer.

pellicle

Hi

BTW, the movie mode in the G1 doesn't do quite as well as the E-P1 either :ROTFL:
perhaps if you wanted movie modes you could insert the H into the letter string and have the GH-1 ... which I think does better movies than the EP

and while costs extra does have a lens which I'm told is quite stunning for use in video work ...

Oh, when was the last time Harley Davidson won a motorcycle Grand Prix?
in the 20's they were a genuine motorcycle enthusiasts company ... but after getting out of flat track racing they turned to the sort of crap that GM and other US car makers currently need market protection from the US govt ... but wait, so too did HD in the 70's

:deadhorse:

pellicle

Hi

The comparision with the Harley Davidson is interesting. I have always considered them to be large and bloated & heavier than they need to be. Sounds more like the G1.
I guess by 5g ... but you get a flash for that 5g penalty ;-)

Maybe you are implying that people with the E-P1 are generally tough, large and hairy? Oh, when was the last time Harley Davidson won a motorcycle Grand Prix?
could be ... :) though mostly they're owned by 50 yo mid-life crisis guys who have more accidents because they're necks are so stiff that they can't turn their heads and see what's beside them before changing lanes :)

you can check the stats on that one too ;-) (btw, been on bikes most of my life ... done some instructing ... here's some of them)

but anyway ... all written with a smile and good humor :thumbup:

Terry

A bit more seriously compared to my last post, I have seen 1 preliminary report on a pre-release model of the E-P2 indicate that the tracking focus works which is surprising as there is no other improvement to the AF. I wonder if Olympus will add tracking focus as a firmware download? Somehow I doubt is as the E-P1 pricing is a little steep.
I'm curious if these things are already working in the preview models how long it will take for a firmware upgrade for the E-P1.

I did read on the "four-thirds user" hands on preview that focus tracking will only work with micro 4/3 lenses. Won't work with 4/3 lenses:

"The E-P2's new tracking AF system lets you select a subject to maintain focus on no matter where that subject wanders around the frame. However, this mode is only available when a Micro Four Thirds lens is fitted. Even Imager AF compatible Four Thirds lenses fitted to the E-P2 using the MMF-1 Four Thirds lens to Micro Four Thirds body adapter, cannot operate under tracking AF mode, or basic continuous AF mode."

This is an improvement now lets see how many button clicks it takes :rolleyes: (I hated having to get to the green box screen since it isn't where I tended to want to be (I do like the level, shooting info or even a histogram))

"Another puzzle with E-System live view autofocus until now has been the inability to select, precisely, where you would like the AF point to be. Instead, you have had to make do with eleven fixed AF points. Now with the E-P2, using the magnified focus check Info mode, you can navigate the green focus box around the frame and focus will be directed to its position. Previously you needed to press 'OK' and to be in magnified view to force the AF to that point."

http://fourthirds-user.com/2009/11/olympus_ep2_handson_preview.php

jonoslack

HI Peter
Olympus is one of the most conservative and careful companies and it takes them years to correct wrong directions.
Well, they were first with:

from the ground up digital design (4/3)
live view (Dpreview called it a solution waiting for a problem :ROTFL:)
articulating LCD on dSLR
sensor cleaning (SSWD - and it's still the best)
large sensor interchangeable lens digital

and that's just off the top of my head!
calling them conservative and careful seems a bit harsh.

On the other hand, they seem to be able to get frustratingly close to something wonderful . . . . and never quite go the last mile! (I guess that could be construed as taking years to correct wrong directions).

jonoslack

It's important to remember that the kind of people who discuss photography on internet fora, represent a very tiny fraction of the market. The EP-1 apparently sells like hotcakes, and I suspect that it has little to do with photographic qualities or ergonomics, but a lot to do with "coolness" factor.

A few friends of mind, whose photographic abilities are mostly limited to pointing the camera in the general direction of the subject and then push the shutter release, have bought it and are very pleased... with the looks :toocool:

They will never notice that an EP-2 has been released unless they need a black version to match the evening dress or tuxedo (and what is that little plastic thingy that came with the camera?).
Quite right Jorgen. and some of those people will then actually get involved and start getting good pictures (I know several young people who have).

jonoslack

LOL, what I find even more frustrating is Panny's seeming inability to supply enough cameras to sell. Right now on Amazon the GF-1 kits are selling for 2x the MSRP.
It may as well be vapor ware.
But the G-1 and GH-1 are available...go figure.
Well, I had my Gf1 up for sale here for a couple of weeks - 20% off LNIB, and nobody was remotely interested (go figure).

My dealer took it back as a demo and I went back to the E-P1 (after I saw the announcement of the E-P1), because I value the IS for different lenses more than the faster autofocus, and I find the E-P1 nicer to hold . . . . and although the panasonic kit zoom has advantages, it's also that critical bit bigger (coat pocket critical).

retow

There are GF1s around though--I know the seller on Ebay is outrageous--hope no one is duped into buying there. Samy's on the west coast has had them pretty regularly, Robert/Monza had them--may still have the 14-45 kit, and I've seen links to various smaller stores all over the US that has them in stock--some on the shelves. Its hard to track them down though unless someone gives a link. I understand that Panasonic.com has been shipping them regularly also even though they say they are out of stock.

Diane
Makes me think. Maybe I'm going to sell mine to generate 60% of the cash needed for an X1:bugeyes:

Lili

Well, I had my Gf1 up for sale here for a couple of weeks - 20% off LNIB, and nobody was remotely interested (go figure).

My dealer took it back as a demo and I went back to the E-P1 (after I saw the announcement of the E-P1), because I value the IS for different lenses more than the faster autofocus, and I find the E-P1 nicer to hold . . . . and although the panasonic kit zoom has advantages, it's also that critical bit bigger (coat pocket critical).
Jono, I saw yours was not ready to buy then tho :(
I am just appalled at the price-gouging going on with these cameras.
Personally, I too lean far more towards the Olys both from size and IQ; may hold out for the EP-2 tho. I prefer the jpegs I get from my e410/510 and the tests seem to show the EP jpeg engine to be very very good indeed.

pellicle

Hi Jono

couple of questions if you don't mind

Well, I had my Gf1 up for sale
, because I value the IS for different lenses more than the faster autofocus, and I find the E-P1 nicer to hold . . . . and ... it's also that critical bit bigger (coat pocket critical).
as a 4/3rds user I'm guessing that you don't see the E-P1 as a replacement for your 4/3 system so much as something to augment it or work in areas that it doesn't cover.

Do you use the camera in "hold out before you" mode or are you intending to use a view finder?

I have this problem with my arms starting to be at a bit of a stretch to reliably use the rear screen for focusing, and to be honest if I was wanting to ensure that the focus was spot on with the E-P1 I'd probably need to put some readers on ... so this means that I'd be needing to rely on the AF and probably not be using any of my manual focus lenses with it.

I've found for "candid portraits" in groups that the camera balanced on a chair or my knee and using the swivel screen and zoom works really well on the G1 ... people just don't seem to notice or if they do don't react as much to me "holding a camera out at them"

To me it seems that the screen on the E-P1 / 2 is not really amenable to making focus decisions unless right behind it ...

how do you feel about this, and do you use the camera in another manner which makes these issues insignificant for your usage style?

thanks

PS ... some "portrait" styles I have been taking with a 50 f1.8 in family gatherings

in the above, DOF is quite shallow, so focus is important ... and below

being close to kids without them becoming aware of the camera can be harder ... thus the stealth camera on knee and looking down at swivel screen works to 'hide' behind

Last edited:

peterb

The G1 prism was no problem for me, but it was a common complaint on other forums. Now that the E-P2 EVF is out, maybe people will start looking back at the G1 and realizing just how good a design it is.
Totally agree. The G1's finder is amazing. And faux SLR pentaprism aside, the camera is still no where near the 'rock' in size that typical APS-C (and larger) DSLRs look like hanging on people's necks.

jonoslack

Hi There

Hi Jono

couple of questions if you don't mind
I'll do my best . . . but you don't want to listen to me!

as a 4/3rds user I'm guessing that you don't see the E-P1 as a replacement for your 4/3 system so much as something to augment it or work in areas that it doesn't cover.
Well, I'm not using the other 4/3 stuff so much these days, it rather falls between the A900 and the Leica M :eek:
Do you use the camera in "hold out before you" mode or are you intending to use a view finder?
I use it in 'hold out before me' mode . . . but generally speaking I hold it down and forwards, trust the AF and frame with the viewfinder at quite an acute angle (it works very well from different angles - flipout LCDs are great, but they're a fiddle when you want to change position).

I have this problem with my arms starting to be at a bit of a stretch to reliably use the rear screen for focusing, and to be honest if I was wanting to ensure that the focus was spot on with the E-P1 I'd probably need to put some readers on ... so this means that I'd be needing to rely on the AF and probably not be using any of my manual focus lenses with it.
I'm mostly relying on the AF myself - although I usually have it set on AF+mf. I find it pretty easy to MF on the LCD though. Of course, the E-P1 focuses noticeably slower than the panasonic, but I'm not usually in that much of a hurry, and I'll often prefocus and then snap at the right moment.

As for manual focus lenses . . . they'll stay on the Leica M
I've found for "candid portraits" in groups that the camera balanced on a chair or my knee and using the swivel screen and zoom works really well on the G1 ... people just don't seem to notice or if they do don't react as much to me "holding a camera out at them"

To me it seems that the screen on the E-P1 / 2 is not really amenable to making focus decisions unless right behind it ...
I don't really agree, it does have a very acute angle of view, and I think one is even less obvious if you don't have to be fiddling around swivelling a screen.
how do you feel about this, and do you use the camera in another manner which makes these issues insignificant for your usage style?
thanks
I'm not sure that's very helpful, I'm not really using it as a rangefinder substitute - it'll be used a lot for nature and closeup and snapshot stuff.

this gallery shows the way it's more likely to be used:
Saturday with a Pen

pellicle

Jono

I'm not sure that's very helpful, I'm not really using it as a rangefinder substitute - it'll be used a lot for nature and closeup and snapshot stuff.

this gallery shows the way it's more likely to be used:
Saturday with a Pen
thanks for taking the time ... it is helpful to me at least as then I can undertand what someone is doing with a camera. This helps me to undertand the requirements if not the personal style :)

I find myself wanting another camera to augment the G1 and and the GF-1 and the EP are obvious (to me) choices ... I'm beginning to lean towards the EP-2 just to see what I think (leg each side of the fence).

thanks for your thoughts :salute:

jonoslack

HI Lili
Jono, I saw yours was not ready to buy then tho :(
I am just appalled at the price-gouging going on with these cameras.
Personally, I too lean far more towards the Olys both from size and IQ; may hold out for the EP-2 tho. I prefer the jpegs I get from my e410/510 and the tests seem to show the EP jpeg engine to be very very good indeed.
Each to his own I guess, my reason was mostly to do with the IS, and I just like it better (silly me!). It was also because C1 supports it (whereas it doesn't support the Panasonic), and right now I really don't want to get into lightroom.

I didn't need the Ep-2, as I really wouldn't use a plug in EVF (never used it on the ricoh's) - and I don't need scene modes! (and I rather like the silver).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
HI Peter

Well, they were first with:

from the ground up digital design (4/3)
live view (Dpreview called it a solution waiting for a problem :ROTFL:)
articulating LCD on dSLR
sensor cleaning (SSWD - and it's still the best)
large sensor interchangeable lens digital

and that's just off the top of my head!
calling them conservative and careful seems a bit harsh.

On the other hand, they seem to be able to get frustratingly close to something wonderful . . . . and never quite go the last mile! (I guess that could be construed as taking years to correct wrong directions).
Many of these I subscribe!

What I found frustrating (during my E1 time) that they took ages (think around 3 - 4 years) before they came with the E3 and my copy of the E3 was just garbage - so I finally sold the whole system and never had any regrets.

I hope they do a better job with MFT as this has great potential especially in the compact market.

But yes I agree, they many times had (have) great new ideas and strategies, although execution is very often frustrating and they kick themselves out of the ring too often. And I do not want to get back to analog times of the OM System (OM1 and OM2 being absolutely great cameras, but then no real serious improvements with number of flaws same time). As you can judge of these lines I was a OM user myself for long years ....

Diane B

What I found frustrating (during my E1 time) that they took ages (think around 3 - 4 years) before they came with the E3 and my copy of the E3 was just garbage - so I finally sold the whole system and never had any regrets.
"Way back when" I had the Oly E10. We were promised an interchangeable lens DSLR--and promised--and promised. All we saw for a long time was a wooden mockup. I finally gave it up and moved back to Canon with the D60 and D30 with several more upgrades up to the 5D 4 years ago. If they hadn't dragged their feet, I might still be an Oly shooter.

Its old history, but it did move a number of us to other systems and we were lost forever as Oly customers. I just never looked at 4/3rds again--until the m4/3rds. It didn't have to do with their offerings--just that they were beyond slow.

Diane