The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P2 out

ptomsu

Workshop Member
"Way back when" I had the Oly E10. We were promised an interchangeable lens DSLR--and promised--and promised. All we saw for a long time was a wooden mockup. I finally gave it up and moved back to Canon with the D60 and D30 with several more upgrades up to the 5D 4 years ago. If they hadn't dragged their feet, I might still be an Oly shooter.

Its old history, but it did move a number of us to other systems and we were lost forever as Oly customers. I just never looked at 4/3rds again--until the m4/3rds. It didn't have to do with their offerings--just that they were beyond slow.

Diane
Could not agree more!

Sometimes they were fast, but most times they took ages to come up with the next big thing .....

woodyspedden

I guess the faux prism hump never bothered me as much as others LOL. It serves a purpose it seems--the GF1 and EP2 have HUGE 'humps' for their EVFs (though removable). I will say that I do like the grip also for a lot of shooting.

I generally have both with me (I realize not everyone can have 2 bodies)with 2 lenses mounted. I do like the GF1 on neck strap and I've been a totally 'not around my neck' person for years. Just with the 20--or even the 14-45 its 'neckable' and I won't carry the G1 around my neck. But then--if I could only have one--it would be the G1 (or the GH1) since its more versatile for me. For me, its a different shooting experience between the G1 and GF1.
Hey

I understand your passion for the M4/3 cameras and you do really good work with them.

I am about to go a similar but somewhat different route. I just bought a GF-1 with the pancake and the EVF. I want this rig just so I am NEVER without a camera of high quality that is sooooooooo small.

However when I want the highest IQ, having toyed with the G1 in the past, I will bring my M9 as well. The IQ difference with M lenses on an M9 compared to M4/3 is very significant IMHO

So I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my GF-1 to see if it is good enough for my always on my neck camera.

Woody

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Woody,
Be careful. It might be better than you think.;) I still enjoy my M8 and I know IQ from the M9 is even better, but the GF1 is just sooo much fun and has good IQ, too. You might find yourself leaving the other gear at home.

Hey

I understand your passion for the M4/3 cameras and you do really good work with them.

I am about to go a similar but somewhat different route. I just bought a GF-1 with the pancake and the EVF. I want this rig just so I am NEVER without a camera of high quality that is sooooooooo small.

However when I want the highest IQ, having toyed with the G1 in the past, I will bring my M9 as well. The IQ difference with M lenses on an M9 compared to M4/3 is very significant IMHO

So I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my GF-1 to see if it is good enough for my always on my neck camera.

Woody

jonoslack

Many of these I subscribe!

What I found frustrating (during my E1 time) that they took ages (think around 3 - 4 years) before they came with the E3 and my copy of the E3 was just garbage - so I finally sold the whole system and never had any regrets.
Oh - I quite agree - My E3 was actually great, and I just sold it recently together with a couple of lenses to finance the M4/3. The E1 was such a great camera though - my son still uses mine, and really loves it (despite much better things at his disposal.

It's tragic that they didn't carry on where they started, with a small body and really REALLY excellent lenses and everything so weatherproof you could actually wash it under the tap! - I still think that the 12-60 is the very best mid range zoom I've had.

I hope they do a better job with MFT as this has great potential especially in the compact market.

But yes I agree, they many times had (have) great new ideas and strategies, although execution is very often frustrating and they kick themselves out of the ring too often. And I do not want to get back to analog times of the OM System (OM1 and OM2 being absolutely great cameras, but then no real serious improvements with number of flaws same time). As you can judge of these lines I was a OM user myself for long years ....
Here's hoping they do a good job with it - certainly, just like live view, self cleaning sensors and flippy LCDs, there will shortly be a lot of competition!

After 3 months away, I've been playing EP-1 again today, and it really is a delightful little camera . . . especially with the pana 20 f1.7 aboard!

jonoslack

Woody,
Be careful. It might be better than you think.;) I still enjoy my M8 and I know IQ from the M9 is even better, but the GF1 is just sooo much fun and has good IQ, too. You might find yourself leaving the other gear at home.
HI Cindy
I quite agree - it does a grand job, and having got the AA filter and processing right, all the m4/3 produce excellent results.

Terry

After 3 months away, I've been playing EP-1 again today, and it really is a delightful little camera . . . especially with the pana 20 f1.7 aboard!
OK, I completely missed the purchase of the 20mm lens. :clap::clap::clap: Glad we kept :deadhorse: at every opportunity to enlighten you about the virtues of an m4/3 body with this lens. :D

jonoslack

OK, I completely missed the purchase of the 20mm lens. :clap::clap::clap: Glad we kept :deadhorse: at every opportunity to enlighten you about the virtues of an m4/3 body with this lens. :D
You can beat me up any time you like Terry :eek::ROTFL:

So, I have:
EP-1
kit zoom (it was so cheap, and it focuses nice and close)
20 f1.7 (seems fab - I think it needs IBIS on the EP :p:p)
45 f2.8 panaleica macro. (more on this later)

That'll do -
I do like the EP-1 better than the GF1 though, despite the slower focusing. It's a relief to be back there.

. . . .and no, I didn't take it back from Silas

Terry

You can beat me up any time you like Terry :eek::ROTFL:

45 f2.8 panaleica macro. (more on this later)
The MACRO

Dang that isn't out yet in the US......do tell sooner rather than later.....:thumbup::thumbdown::thumbs::thumbdown::thumbup:

PeterB666

Back in June when I was evaluating cameras at PMA Sydney for my return to interchangeable lens cameras (well not quite, I still have a film based one) I looked at the G1 and GH1 just minutes after spending the best part of an hour with the E-P1. The thing that struck me was just how uncomfortable the hand grip on the G1 and GH1 was. This may not be an issue for all but I found the deep grip which was too short (due to the height of the camera) left nowhere for your little finger which was left to dangle in the wilderness.

While a shallow grip does nothing to prevent the little finger lost in the wilderness, you don't feel the need to curl up the creature to hide underneath the body of the camera.

The AF in the Panasonic cameras is stunning, but so is the in-body IS in the E-PS. Having spent a long time with manual focus cameras, I am quite happy to work most of the time in MF on the E-P1. I have set up the AEL/AFL button to autofocus, I only use the centre target, and if necessary I fine tune with the MF. The shutter button is set to lock exposure on a half-press and snap away on a full press. It means there is virtually no shutter lag and once you get use to the settings (took all of 5 minutes for me), is as convenient as using a half-press focus lock confirmation action.

I think both the Panasonic and Olympus cameras are great, but it would be nice if you could pick the best from each and create a composite camera. Anyone for a Panapus G-P1?

jonoslack

The MACRO

Dang that isn't out yet in the US......do tell sooner rather than later.....:thumbup::thumbdown::thumbs::thumbdown::thumbup:
I assumed you all had it? I just went in to LCE in Norwich, and it was there.

It was dark before I could use it though. Here are a couple of fiddles in the kitchen. Flowers and pets seem suitable :ROTFL:

flower at ISO 320:

Pet at ISO 1600

Both are full frame - no processing other than a very basic exposure levelling . . . and if you don't like 'em, then you should shoot the messenger, and not the camera or the lens! Settings at random, Manual unread, held by hand, glasses of wine drunk :)

this looks okay too (also at 1600):

this one is at ISO 640, and slightly croopped

Last edited:

Diane B

Huh!!! I've been avoiding this lens (or at least avoiding making the decision to buy--or not). Since its not available here yet I haven't had to say yay or nay. This does NOT help!! LOL.

Lili

HI Lili

Each to his own I guess, my reason was mostly to do with the IS, and I just like it better (silly me!). It was also because C1 supports it (whereas it doesn't support the Panasonic), and right now I really don't want to get into lightroom.

I didn't need the Ep-2, as I really wouldn't use a plug in EVF (never used it on the ricoh's) - and I don't need scene modes! (and I rather like the silver).
I quite understand, find the kit with the 17 and OVF very attractive myself, the in body IS is VERY useful too

Bill Gordon

It's important to remember that the kind of people who discuss photography on internet fora, represent a very tiny fraction of the market. The EP-1 apparently sells like hotcakes, and I suspect that it has little to do with photographic qualities or ergonomics, but a lot to do with "coolness" factor.

A few friends of mind, whose photographic abilities are mostly limited to pointing the camera in the general direction of the subject and then push the shutter release, have bought it and are very pleased... with the looks :toocool:

They will never notice that an EP-2 has been released unless they need a black version to match the evening dress or tuxedo (and what is that little plastic thingy that came with the camera?).
I bought into the E-P1 because of its' size, weight and compactness. I am very satisfied and intend to downgrade my lenses and sell off the Olympus glass that I have along with the E-520. I have been an Oly fan from the E-10/20, E1,E3, back down to the E-520 for smaller size and less weight and now I have settled down and am very happy. I am sure that the Panasonic cameras are very good, no question about that, and they are popular but then so is the E-P1....I just wish that Oly had waited some time before panic took over and brought a new model on the scene.

Anout this site and this forum, I prefer this place to discuss all aspects of our love of photography and the tools that we use, the discourse is cordial and helpful.

This is a product of the E-P1 with the 14-42mm lens

pellicle

Jono

It's tragic that they didn't carry on where they started, with a small body and really REALLY excellent lenses and everything so weatherproof you could actually wash it under the tap! - I still think that the 12-60 is the very best mid range zoom I've had.
that's a mighty interesting claim ... do you stand by that?

and I'm interested in the 12-60 now that you mention it ... is that the
f/2.8~4.0 SWD 12-60 mm ED?

interested in obtaining one for my father-in-law who is getting into 4/3 as we speak

jonoslack

Hi There
Jono

that's a mighty interesting claim ... do you stand by that?
The E1 - yes, certainly - done it myself (with the 14-54) - there were lots of tales in the old days - someone even took some pictures holding it underwater :eek: I never heard of water damage. The E3 is nearly as good.
and I'm interested in the 12-60 now that you mention it ... is that the
f/2.8~4.0 SWD 12-60 mm ED?

interested in obtaining one for my father-in-law who is getting into 4/3 as we speak
It's a wonderful lens - fast, pretty free of distortion, and as a 24-120, it really does cover almost everything you need.

A thing of joy and wonder!

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
More pictures with the 45 Macro-Elmarit, please Jono! I'm normally a creamy bokeh fan but the bokeh in the flower pic looks good: smooth with just the slightest edge.

Brian Mosley

Thanks Jono - I can see that Mathers of Lancashire have the PL 45mm macro in stock... please post example portraits asap! :D

Any feedback on handling for portraits would also be welcome!

Cheers

Brian