The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 25mm f/1.4 C-mount seems to be very popular lately...

S

snaf

Both the Computar and Cosmicar/Pentax have 3 blades. But wide open it actually seems to make a good circle.

Thank you for good answer. But why do cosmicar 12.5mm f1.4 has 6 blades no 3 blades??? What are they difference ??
I think more blades are better for quality photo.

madmaxmedia

If you shoot mostly wide open it won't matter. I have a Computar 12.5mm f/1.3 and it has 3 blades. I think the blades will mostly just affect bokeh rendition, but with these lenses and these focal lengths, you shoot wide open for bokeh and stop down to get DOF.

pellicle

Hi

I have just received computar 25mm 1.3 from ...
It had shipped from USA to me at ASIA only one week !!!

It 's new len. But I wonder about it's blade,it has only 3 blade. ???
who have ever used one in m4/3 camera such as E-P1 G1 GF1 ?

searching here (seems to be a lost art among the internet spoon fed) will reveal some post of mine regarding exactly this lens.

I recommend you use the hawkpeng adaptor ... quite a bit on my blog so I won't dribble it all again here ;-)

some quick example of wide open vs stopped down at close focus
f1.3

f16

madmaxmedia

Thanks pellicle for that detailed blog post on the Computar and the hawkpeng adapter. I came across it earlier, and that is why I chose to go with the Computar + Hawkpeng- it looks like a mod that I can manage myself.

A question for anyone with the Pentax 25mm f/1.4- does it require modification to work with the Hawkpeng adapter? (I guess his eBay name is now hawks_factory or something like that.)

V

Vivek

Hi

searching here (seems to be a lost art among the internet spoon fed) will reveal some post of mine regarding exactly this lens.
The Computar 25mm f/1.3, is one of the lenses I discovered and reported here.

The 3 bladed aperture does nothing negative.

It is (still) my favored lens in the 25mm FL range. I would recommend f/2.8, though even wide open, it isn't shabby.

Unlike the 12.5mm lenses, this one does cover the m4/3rds sensor (with slight corner vignetting that is easily dealt with in the post). There is a big difference in terms of usefulness.

madmaxmedia

Hey Vivek,

Have you ever tried the Pentax/Cosmicar 25mm f/1.4? That one seems pretty good too, wondering how these 2 25mm lenses compare.

Y.B.Hudson III

Yehh... three bladed aperatures can be problematic when confronted with mediterranean light filtered through deciduous forest canopies...:)

apicius9

I remember those pics, very nice. I recently sold my Pentax (at one point I had over 20 25mm c-mounts...), but the main reason was not performance, only size: I have large fingers and this is just one of the smallest ones and I had to fiddle with it too much. Without all the alternatives I would definitely just have put up with that.

Stefan

A

awty

Also, the '16mm' doesn't refer to the focal length of the lens, it refers to 16mm film, which these lenses were used for.

The adapter is for all c-mount lenses from wide to telephoto. However, some lenses may require some modification to work- the c-mount wasn't a very clearly defined spec.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Jonas

I remember those pics, very nice. I recently sold my Pentax (at one point I had over 20 25mm c-mounts...), but the main reason was not performance, only size (...)
Hi, and thank you.
Lol, yes, the size of that lens is a problem. Now with the Panny 20/1.7 most of those alternative lenses are on more or less permanent vacation. But sometimes, when wanting another look, they are fun to use.

Jonas

Stefan, I just checked your big 25mm C-mount comparison. Thank you for posting it. Of the C-mount lenses I owned I liked the Kern Switar 26/1.1 the best. Now I have sold it and the only one still with me is the cute little Pentax. As said above it sees very little use. Do you still use any of your lenses? The main reason for me to give up on them is that I want my lenses to cover the sensor and after the arrival of the 20/1.7 there is no real size advantage to the C-mount.

/Jonas

madmaxmedia

Hi Jonas,

Thanks for the link, I missed that post before- it's a really nice pic! I previously had a Wollensak, but my results were like Stefan's test shot- very hazy wide open.

I agree with you, in the long run I can see mainly using the Pana 20mm f/1.7. But that is only when it is in my budget. For now the MF equivalent will do at 1/10 the price. ;) There is also something fun about these lenses (that imperfect c-mount look), although practically speaking the Pana 20mm wins out of course on most all counts.

apicius9

The main reasons I had all these c-mounts were a) a lack of impulse control on ebay :) and b) 2 opportunities to buy two larger lots of lenses, one of them with 20 mostly 25mm c-mounts - unfortunately, I never had a chance to pick up a 26/1.1 for a reasonable price.... That was long before the projected release of the Panny 20/1.7, so it was a lot of fun to play with the lenses. I have started selling off many of them (maybe a bit late, the prices are falling again...), but I will definitely keep a few, like one Angenieux 0.95 for its speed, the Cooke Kinic for its unusual bokeh, the Canon for its ease of use, and maybe one or two more. Eventually, I will also get the pancake. But for me, personally, the G1 and the fascination with the combo of old glass and new technology helped me rediscover the fun in photography. I had not looked through a viewfinder in a long time, and going back to the basics, having to manually focus and finding the patience and skills for that again, made this a very enjoyable experience for me.

I don't want to stray too far, but want to mention that I think not only the short c-mounts are interesting. The longer ones are very light and small on the G1 and some make excellent primes, like the Kern Macro Switar 75/1.9. I also like the Schneider Xenars which are totally undervalued on ebay IMHO.

Stefan

Last edited: