The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro options for m4/3

I've been mulling over macro options for my GF1...I'm wondering what's out there that is really small that can be adapted. The Oly Pen 38 macro would probably be great (Monza digs it) but it's quite rare...how about the Takumar 50/4? Does anyone have a photo of it mounted, with adapter, on an m4/3 camera? I'm a Pentax guy and love the Taks but have never used that one.

There wasn't a Pentax 110 macro, was there? even if there was, I would probably need aperture control...

Jonas

I wonder if not the Olympus ZD 35mm macro lens is among the smallest you can get? True - it gets bigger with the 4/3->µ4/3 adapter, but it is still small and a good performer from what I have seen. /Jonas

simonclivehughes

Right now, I'm using my Micro Nikkor 60mm f2.8 lens. I am using with the Panny 4/3-m4/3 and Fotodiox F adapters. It's not too big, but of course the adapter doesn't help.

Cheers,

JerryMK

My absolute smallest macro lens combination on the G1 is a 1" (25mm) C mount Cine lens like the B&H Lumax f/1.9 or the B&H Super Comat f/1.9 with a 5mm extensions tube. The results are quite good but to be honest not as good as a prime Macro as the Tokina or my Canon 50mm f/3.5.

pellicle

Any legacy 35mm lenses and extension tubes. I really like my 50 f1.8 and 100 f2.8 for this.

This discussion http://www.flickr.com/groups/1084614@N23/discuss/72157622511331555/ turned into a discussion about macro options

The problem is that once you get into macro you need extension

this is all my macro extenions stacked on ... depending on what I'm doing I often just use the 20mm one ... leading me to feel that the FD 50 1:2 (half life size) macro lens would do the trick.

But that is then a bigger lens to carry ... so I stay using the 50 f1.8 and put an extension tube in my pack.

of course you can use shorter focal length lenses if you don't mind working distance to be close (and therfore perspective wider)

I've used a c mount 12mm lens which only needs 2 or 3mm extension to get quite close. This is even at f1.3 so DoF is interesting

its sure light, but that may not be your thing.

Last edited:

apicius9

Very interesting, I have to try a c-mount with an extension ring, and I think I even have a few extension rings for the FDs somewhere. I vaguely remember someone mention that they even used a reversed D-mount lens with good success as a macro lens - was that here?

Anyway, I finally caved in and just got a Leica R 60/2.8 Macro off the German ebay site and hope it will be in my parents' Christmas package (they live in Germany and will send it then - together with an old FD 50/3.5 Macro that I had laying around).

BTW, the Leica comes with the macro extender which allows for 1:1 on the Leica - does that mean it will be 2:1 on the G1? And - sorry of this is a stupid question, but physics almost cost me my high school diploma ;) - what will happen if I use the 60mm Macro lens using the Leica 2x converter?

Final question: I need to get a rail for macro shots, and there seems to be quite a bit of a range. Will something like this do? http://cgi.ebay.com/4-way-macro-foc...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518db25cfd What would I gain from a better (=more expensive) one?

I hope this adds instead of leading the post astray, thanks,

Stefan

Godfrey

I use the Olympus ZD 35 Macro. It goes to 1:1 and is superb quality for less than $200. Put it on the EC14 and you get 1.4:1 (albeit a bit slow) which is great for small object and flat art copy work.

For 3D pieces, I have used the ZD 50-200 with a Canon 500D close up lens. That gets you down to around the 1:1.5 range with lots of working room.

laptoprob

I got a set of russian screwmount rings since I have a set of LTM lenses anyway. First trials look promising. Choice of focal length depends mostly on working distance, the amount of rings makes magnification.

PeterB666

I am using an Olympus OM 50mm f/3.5. Quite cheap and pretty good. Focus is only down to 1:2 and you need a 25mm extension ring to get 1:1 but there are plenty of 3rd party OM extension sets for next to nothing on eBay and these generally give something like 17mm, 34mm and 50mm rings.

AFIK, there were no macro lenses in Pentax 110 and even if there was, it wouldn't be very good as you cannot stop down the lens as the aperture is in the camera body (or something weird like that).

pellicle

Hi

Very interesting, I have to try a c-mount with an extension ring, and I think I even have a few extension rings for the FDs somewhere.
actually I just unscrewed it on the threads some what for that shot ... anything more than 5mm would be too much for a 12mm lens ...

BTW, the Leica comes with the macro extender which allows for 1:1 on the Leica - does that mean it will be 2:1 on the G1?
no, it will be 1:1 ... only the effective angle of view will change and also to some extent the depth of field at any aperture may be different to what you may "calculate"

it all works out well for me ...

And - sorry of this is a stupid question, but physics almost cost me my high school diploma ;) - what will happen if I use the 60mm Macro lens using the Leica 2x converter?
if you mean a teleconverter, then image quality will degrade and it will be about 200mm effective length

Final question: I need to get a rail for macro shots, and there seems to be quite a bit of a range. Will something like this do? http://cgi.ebay.com/4-way-macro-foc...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518db25cfd What would I gain from a better (=more expensive) one?

as you can see above I went the cheap path again and only have a simple rail. I didn't feel that I needed left and right as well ... but it certainly won't hurt!

:)

apicius9

Thanks Pellicle, that's helpful. I bought e few rings that usually get the c-mount to the length of a cs-mount - I think they are 3mm or 5mm. With a few of them I should be able to play around a bit - if I can remember where I put the little thingies. I'm in the middle or reorganizing my photo gear in my apartment and right now in the phase where I don't find anything anymore...

Stefan

Diane B

I just purchased one. Looks like a very nice piece of gear.
I imagine that I will be able to use it also for panoramic shots, but maybe I am just dreaming :rolleyes:

Will let you know my impressions after the first round of shots !

Rafael
Rafael,

Please let us know your opinions about this. I just checked it and wonder its possibilities. I have an RRS focusing rail that I like, but--this seems to open other possibilities. I've been using my FD 50 f/1.8 and extension tubes also for the bit of macro I do, but am always interested in other options.

S

sagarmatha

Is it possible to use Canon MPE-65 on a G1/GH1? What extra do I need and will it work like if it was put on a Canon body?