The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wireless shutter release for the G1?

apicius9

Hi, I was just shopping on ebay and while browsing through the Chinese gentleman' store, I came across wireless shutter releases for all kinds of cameras except the Panasonics. Does anybody use one of these on a G1 - and where would I get a reliable one? Of course, there are other ways but that might really be neat for some macro shots I am planning.

Mahalo,

Stefan

J

jerryk

Hi, I was just shopping on ebay and while browsing through the Chinese gentleman' store, I came across wireless shutter releases for all kinds of cameras except the Panasonics. Does anybody use one of these on a G1 - and where would I get a reliable one? Of course, there are other ways but that might really be neat for some macro shots I am planning.

Mahalo,

Stefan

I ordered this one. I have not received it yet. However I have used other Cactus shutter releases.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...152460&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_3086wt_804

Diane B

I ordered this one. I have not received it yet. However I have used other Cactus shutter releases.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...152460&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_3086wt_804
Jerry, I was about to buy a wired remote, but now considering this one instead. I assume it will work just as the wired (which is the only type I've used in the past) and I would be able to hold the shutter button and trigger the bracket sequence (if I chose), Thanks for the link and let us know how you like it.

Diane

J

jerryk

Jerry, I was about to buy a wired remote, but now considering this one instead. I assume it will work just as the wired (which is the only type I've used in the past) and I would be able to hold the shutter button and trigger the bracket sequence (if I chose), Thanks for the link and let us know how you like it.

Diane
My previous Cactus RF units have worked the same as the wired, which is to the say the same as the shutter release on the camera.

Jerry

f6cvalkyrie

I think, from what I saw in the Ebay offer, that the more expensive one is RF (Radio Frequency) while the cheaper one is IR (Infra-Red)

The RF one should have normally longer range, and should work better outdoor in the sunshine.

C U,
Rafael

J

jerryk

Optical? can you elaborate? I was considering this one too simply because it was nicer on the eyes..ha.
From the picture it looks like the signal is transmitted from the sender to the receiver as an optical signal like your TV remote. As such it could have:
  • Issues with being swamped by signals from external light.
  • Would be more or less line of sight. Only if the receiver and transmitter would have to be facing each and have a clean view of each other would it work.
  • Would have some issues with bulb functionality. I assume that if you moved and accidentally blocked the path between transmitter and receiver the shutter would release, which could ruin a long exposure.

Because of these issues and a distance advantage, I prefer a RF (radio frequency) based remote shutter release.

J

jerryk

Hi,

I received the Cactus unit and it works as advertised. It was a bit cold so I did not go outside, but the unit worked on the first floor of my house when I was on the second floor in the opposite corner. A distance of 70 feet or so through many walls.

With one exception, pressing the button is just like pressing the shutter on the camera. Half pressing the button activates the autofocus and pressing harder trips the shutter release. The one exception is Bulb mode. When the camera is in Bulb Mode you press the button down for a couple of seconds. When you release the button the shutter stays open. When you press the shutter button a second time the shutter closes.

Jerry