The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Jonas

Jonas,

I saw your other post - it was a large part of the reason I joined to let the members know.
(...)
Not taken the plunge on a digital body yet, I like the idea just not the price! It must have a viewfinder, so with that added to the cost of the body, both the GF-1 & E-P1 seem to be coming in around the £800 mark.....
Peter,

I'm happy you joined the forum to let us know.
The item 380209260478 is sold. At the top of the page one can click "View relisted item" which brings you to item 300400833253, also sold. So, they made at least two of them... ;)

I think we can relax, there is no doubt they will list more of these adapters.

As I don't care a lot about what my camera looks like I use a G1. The viewfinder is included together with an articulating LCD screen. The G1 sells for less money, is better in some ways, worse in other.

I'll report back here on the adapter when it arrives.

Cheers,

/Jonas

slau

So, they made at least two of them... ;)

I think we can relax, there is no doubt they will list more of these adapters.

I'll report back here on the adapter when it arrives.

Cheers,

/Jonas
Hi Jonas,
Did you know how much the adapter was sold for, even roughly? Thanks.

Jonas

Hi Jonas,
Did you know how much the adapter was sold for, even roughly? Thanks.
The first one was sold for USD 180, the second one for USD 200. (You can see the prices if you check the eBay auctions.)

regards,

/Jonas

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
The first one was sold for USD 180, the second one for USD 200. (You can see the prices if you check the eBay auctions.)

regards,

/Jonas
I wonder if they'll price the next one at USD 220? :rolleyes:

It'll be interesting to see where the price stabilizes. And even more interesting to see how long it takes for someone else to copy the design and offer the replica at a lower price.

Jonas

It'll be interesting to see where the price stabilizes. And even more interesting to see how long it takes for someone else to copy the design and offer the replica at a lower price.
I think they were both offered for USD 200, but with a "Best offer" option. Anyway, it's an expensive adapter and it will be very interesting to see exactly how smooth the focusing wheel will feel. The Kipon adapter works fine but I would prefer having a "traditional" ring to turn back and forth.

/Jonas

slau

I wonder that are they just testing the market to see what price the users are willing to pay? When they are back to normal business after Chinese New Year, I hope the product will be widely available soon. It sure looks like the best G adapter available today. Usually they are smart businessmen who will try to capture the market as much as possible and still optimize their price. They know pretty well that copy of their designs are probably done and going through test now. RJ kind of misses the boat by not going after the market quicker and sooner.

Last edited:

Howard

Stephen,

I am not sure they will learn what the market is by offering adapters at a high price. They will learn what a few eager buyers will pay. Once those eager buyers have purchased adapters, the sellers will have to deal with more discerning, price sensitive buyers and the price will settle down to a more reasonable level. While I have not thought about this completely, at $200 I am not a buyer, but at $120, I may be a buyer.

Howard

slau

Howard,
That makes two of us. I really like my Contax G lens and have been waiting until last month to get my RJ adapter. I cannot see myself paying $200 for an adapter, even I love my old favorite Contax G lens. I will only do it if there is no alternative (i.e. no other good prime lens in the focal length). My closest alternative is my Minolta M-Rokkor 40f2.0 + M adapter and Zeiss Planar C/Y 50f1.4 + C/Y adapter. But, I have read a lot of users will pay more than $200 for an adapter. Each of us looks at dollars differently, I guess.

monza

Bear in mind it's a lot more complicated to have a geared adapter. Gears are not cheap to design or manufacture. Other adapters like for C/Y lenses are basically just extension tubes.

Considering people pay huge amounts for certain c-mount lenses, or Leica lenses, to use on micro 4/3, the G lenses + adapter are absolute bargains.

slau

Bear in mind it's a lot more complicated to have a geared adapter. Gears are not cheap to design or manufacture. Other adapters like for C/Y lenses are basically just extension tubes.

Considering people pay huge amounts for certain c-mount lenses, or Leica lenses, to use on micro 4/3, the G lenses + adapter are absolute bargains.
Is it safe to assume that your adapter will be priced above $200 :)?

monza

No, nothing is safe to assume. Here is one way to keep the cost down:

Build in China where cheap labor trumps everything. China manufacturing wages are about 3% of US wages. For comparison Japan is about 80% of US wages. Imagine the outcry if a US manufacturer advertised for manufacturing jobs at less than $1/hour. That's what they are in China.

I'd prefer to build my adapter in the US, and I'd prefer to make a profit doing it. But if it can't be done, I won't.

Howard

I received the following message from the supplier of the adapter with the focusing ring. They responded as follows:

"The item is currently out-of-stock. The manufacturing for the next lot will take 3-4 weeks.

We are accepting ordering at the moment.
The price is USD$220/each, full payment to be settled by Paypal upon confirmation of the order. Free shipping to worldwide is offered.

The manufacturing and delivery time is estimated 3-5 weeks.

Please review. Best regards,
www.lens-workshop.com"

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member

I received the following message from the supplier of the adapter with the focusing ring. They responded as follows:

"The item is currently out-of-stock. The manufacturing for the next lot will take 3-4 weeks.

We are accepting ordering at the moment.
The price is USD$220/each, full payment to be settled by Paypal upon confirmation of the order. Free shipping to worldwide is offered.

The manufacturing and delivery time is estimated 3-5 weeks.

Please review. Best regards,
www.lens-workshop.com"
If only my intuition was always as accurate as this. :clap:

Bring on the replicas!

gmoe

For those who are looking for the contax g mount with focus ring from lens workshop, the word on the street is that they have a few but in black not silver. You'll probably see it on ebay later today.

S

skywalker

Maybe you can wait for KIPON new version with focus ring,better quality,better outlooking,for those adapter manufactures,KIPON is a leading company in this field.They just show their nice adapters in Anaheim PMA this time.

slau

Maybe you can wait for KIPON new version with focus ring,better quality,better outlooking,for those adapter manufactures,KIPON is a leading company in this field.They just show their nice adapters in Anaheim PMA this time.
Did they show a Contax G adapter in PMA?

slau

I just bought one (sorry, monza--I couldn't resist). There's one remaining...
I don't think that you can go wrong based on that design, which is definitely the best so far. Please let us know your impression of the adapter after you have a chance to play with it. Thanks.