The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Z

zivk

I got into the same fix. Just got my Contax G RJ adapter, and now I cannot get it off my 45mm Planar. I tried it the way shown at ebay but it won't budge at all no matter how hard I try (and I tried with all my might). Any other trick?

Also, I thought that focusing aid (with a magnified part) would work with these lenses but it doesn't. Or is there a trick to it? I had to set the camera to "shoot w/o lens"

Finally, even though it seem to focus fine on distant objects the lens is not at its infinity (minimal extension). Is that OK?

slau

Zivk,
At first, I had a bit problem taking the RJ adapter off both my 45/2 & 90/2.8. But after a bit practice runs and followed the direction from the RJ site, I can take the adapter off from both lenses with a little effort. As I won't be using my 90/2.8 too much, I just leave the adapter on my 45/2 all the time.

The focus aid works with both Panasonic and non-Panasonic lenses. What camera are you using? With the G1/GH1, it is a two button process: first press the LEFT arrow of the Cursor button and then press the MENU/SET button.

I haven't had a chance to do a infinity test with my Contax G lenes. I think the RJ adapter is designed to go a bit beyond infinity so that it makes sure that focusing at infinity is possible. If you can focus at infinity or very far away subjects, it is fine.

Z

zivk

I have GF-1. Thanks for the focus aid tip. It does work now and it is indeed quite easy to focus once you get used to the little wheel. I definitely like what I see!
The adapter will not budge no matter what. I e-mailed RJ about it. At worst I will keep it on the lens forever. I won't be able to use it on Contax, but I am not using it that much anymore anyway (and can still use the wonderful 28 Biogon). And one day I may buy another adapter (Kipon?) to use with the 90. Just curious about it although I agree with you that most probably I wouldn't be using it that much. And greetings from the Northern neighbour.

snowy

I found it tricky at first to remove the adapter. With the lens and adapter off the camera, if you look into the lens throat you can see where the lens-release lever moves a metal tab into the slot on the lens. I found pressing the lens-release lever on mine doesn't move the tab fully out of the lens slot, so it's difficult to unmount the lens. Pushing the release lever around a bit I was able to move the tab out of the way enough to release the lens. Takes a bit of practice and it helps to see the tab moving in the slot.
HTH

S

skywalker

The RJ version is the same with the Fotodiox one,maybe the same manufacture.

if you use KIPON G adapter,you can take off the lens very smoothly,much much better than the one in your hand.

For Monza' G ,I don't know if he still have interesting to develope it,for the KIPON price is not high,so many parts inside the adapter,the cost is difficult to control.

Z

zivk

Hurrah, I did it! Thanks! RJ also responded with encouragement and by repeating his existing instructions. This motivated me to try again, this time with a tiny screwdriver inserted into the whole left when pressing the lever down. Maybe with time I will learn to do it without the screwdriver. But it's OK with me since I am most likely to just keep it on the 45mm. And then buy the Kipon (since Monza is obviously not responding to inquiries) when I have the money. I find that focusing even with the tiny wheel is not that difficult.

slau

I am taking my 45/2 for a one week vacation, in addition to my 14-140 & 20/1.7.

It is almost second nature for me now to use the small wheel on the RJ adapter for focusing. The whole trick is how to position your hand used for focusing.

Z

zivk

Hey, why don't we start posting photos made with Contax G lenses here (or open a new thread)? I am itching to start using them. Only, I will have to be very imaginative given that I live in dirty snow-covered Edmonton

J

jakieff

@slau, @snowy

thanks for the link an the help.
The method of snowy finally worked. I had to push the lever around a bit an then with a bit of force it came off.

I'm not really excited about the quality of this adapter as the little screw for adjusting the focus doesn't turn smoothly either

Jacques

lattiboy

Could somebody post some shots (large resolution) of this combo? I'm STILL waiting on the Kippon adapter. The wait is maddening!!!

M

moronaba

I am a long time Contax G fanatic and this thread finally convinced me to get a G1 so that I could continue to enjoy the magic of Zeiss lenses -- without chemicals and scanning. Although I had intended to wait for Monza's mysterious adapter, my impatience (and free Prime shipping from Amazon) forced me to get the Fotodiox adapter. First impressions were that it was total crap. I could barely turn the dial and fine focus was nearly impossible. Being a self-professed engineer, I disassembled the adapter to see if I could improve the performance. Long story short, I finally resolved the issue. I found that the inner retaining ring (think very thin metal with 4 small bends to keep the lens tight in the adapter and sandwiched between the G mount and the m43 mount) had a protrusion used to align the ring with the adapters. The protrusion is pencil lead thin and located directly opposite the focusing gear. On my adapter, this protrusion was too long and caused the slightest tilt of the lens towards the gear -- and therefore caused the gear to bind. It was not an obvious fix -- I took the thing apart a dozen times before I figured it out. I ended up snapping mine off, but I think a quick sanding would have been sufficient. The result was immediate and both the 45 and 90 focus easily and smoothly throughout their ranges.

Now, with a working adapter, I have come to have a newfound respect for the focusing ability of the G cameras. In particular, the 90 requires very careful effort to obtain the razor sharp focus that we all know these lenses are capable of -- especially wide open at less then 10 meters. I think the years of negative reports about the focusing ability of the 90 were simply unfair given the high percentage of super sharp images that I achieved with my Contax G1 versus my Panasonic G1 -- I love the fact they have the same name. I have been too busy to do any serious shooting, but I am finding that my proficiency at chasing my kids around the house is improving daily. Here are a few shots where I have tried for the razor sharp eyes with everything else moving towards zeiss-bokeh.

View attachment 27401

View attachment 27400

View attachment 27399

I must confess that I am beyond thrilled to be back in the Contax G world and look forward to continual improvements in m43 cameras to use with these great lenses. Thanks so much for keeping this thread going.

Cheers,

Philip

Howard

Philip,

Thank you for posting such sharp photos as well as indicating your evaluation of and fix it instructions for the Fotodiox adapter. I, too, am waiting for Monza's adapter and I hope that he posts some indication when he anticipates that his adapters will be available for those waiting impatiently.

lattiboy

Thanks much Philip, lovely portraits you have there!

I'm just DYING at this point. I ordered my adapter over a week ago and have had a 45/2 and 90/2.8 sitting useless on my desk. It's a crime!

It'll be interesting to see the focusing ability of the Kipon. It looks top-notch, but we'll see. Perhaps Monza will make some crazy breakthrough and I'll be waiting another few weeks :)

Jonas

(...)
I'm just DYING at this point. I ordered my adapter over a week ago and have had a 45/2 and 90/2.8 sitting useless on my desk. It's a crime!
And here is a teaser:
The Kipon adapter works very well. It's geared and with my left thumb the 45/2 goes from infinity to MFD (0.5m) with four convenient thumb movements. The focusing isn't super smooth but "smooth" for general use and smooth enough also when focusing is critical.

I haven't tried the Fotodiox adapter as I wanted a geared one. I'm also waiting for whatever Robert may come up with.

The Planar 45/2 is a great lens.

I got mine adapter (Japan-->Sweden in Europe) in three or four working days. Four days actually as it was sent with Fed-Ex and they screwed up trying ot deliver it. I went to their service point and picked it up the day after.

Check your tracking number at Fed-Ex and see where your adapter is, I guess you should have it somewhere close to you.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I got mine adapter (Japan-->Sweden in Europe) in three or four working days. Four days actually as it was sent with Fed-Ex and they screwed up trying ot deliver it. I went to their service point and picked it up the day after.

Check your tracking number at Fed-Ex and see where your adapter is, I guess you should have it somewhere close to you.
If you don't mind my asking, Jonas, who did you buy your Kipon adapter from and how much did it cost?