The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Godfrey

Juat a few days ago, a Contax G to MFT adapter finally reached my mailbox from RJ of Jinfance in Shanghai. I post three images showing Contax G lenses on my Lumix G1 (21mm Biogon, 28mm Biogon, and 45mm Planar). Snapshots taken with these lenses exceed my expectations in terms of color quality and sharpness. Kind regards, Leica 77.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2683/4160979945_cf17c849c3_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2683/4160974891_ac5b8ce631_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2740/4160973727_b28bd5ebaf_o.jpg
They all look beautiful.

I'm most curious about the performance and fitment of the 21 and 28 mm lenses. The adapters I saw on Ebay from RJ were stated to be for the 35, 45 and 90mm lenses ... his auctions there said that the 21 and 28 would not fit as they needed more clearance.

I had both the 21 and 28 when I had the Contax G2 system some years ago. Sold it all off as I didn't like the G2 body all that much (preferred the Leica M), but the Zeiss lenses were superb. I could see myself with the 21/2.8 and 45/2 again if they perform well on digital...

Although I was about to press the button and order the Lumix G 20/1.7, and was planning to buy the Macro-Elmarit 45 in the (hopefully) near future, this is a tempting possibility.

Ah, choices. ;-)

slau

Thank you Leica 77. I do not have any doubt about the beautiful saturation and contrast from those Contax lenses. Just very concern about how tough to use the focus wheel of the RJ adapter. How did you fit the 21f1.8 on your G1? Did you have to shave part of the rear guard off?

Leica 77

They all look beautiful.

I'm most curious about the performance and fitment of the 21 and 28 mm lenses. The adapters I saw on Ebay from RJ were stated to be for the 35, 45 and 90mm lenses ... his auctions there said that the 21 and 28 would not fit as they needed more clearance.

I had both the 21 and 28 when I had the Contax G2 system some years ago. Sold it all off as I didn't like the G2 body all that much (preferred the Leica M), but the Zeiss lenses were superb. I could see myself with the 21/2.8 and 45/2 again if they perform well on digital...

Although I was about to press the button and order the Lumix G 20/1.7, and was planning to buy the Macro-Elmarit 45 in the (hopefully) near future, this is a tempting possibility.

Ah, choices. ;-)
Hi Godfrey,

Many thanks for your informative comments. After shaving off the lens guards in the rear of the lens, the 21 and 28mm G lenses have a pretty good fit. When I have a chance, I shall post snapshots taken by some of these Contax G lenses. Cheers! Leica 77.

Leica 77

Thank you Leica 77. I do not have any doubt about the beautiful saturation and contrast from those Contax lenses. Just very concern about how tough to use the focus wheel of the RJ adapter. How did you fit the 21f1.8 on your G1? Did you have to shave part of the rear guard off?
Hi,

Greetings, my friend! Though the focusing wheel is relatively small and it is in such an unconventional place on the left bottom side of the lens, I got used to it very quickly. The small focusing wheel enables me to do fine focusing, which I believe is a nice feature. As mentioned above in my reply to Godfrey, I shaved off the rear lens guards of both 21 and 28 mm G lenses. You are quite right about the beautiful saturation and contast produced by these Contax G lenses! Happy Holidays! Leica 77.

Leica 77

Lumix G1 + Contax G 28mm Biogon via adapter. "Nikon SP on top of a magazine". Natural Lighting. Thank you. Leica 77.

Howard

Leica77,

I do appreciate your discussion that the 21 and 28 can be used with the adapter provided that the protectors are shaved off. I am, however, confused. I am trying to reconcile your comments with the discussion in the following thread http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/831385 . Some of the posts in that thread indicate that the 28mm was not all that sharp with the Panasonic G sensor because the sensor was unable not to adequately handle the angle of the light from the 28 and 21mm. But it was better when the f stop was 5.6 or smaller. The one photo that you posted on #65 looks sharp. What is your experience with the 21 and 28mm? Please post additional photos taken with the 21 and 28mm on the Panny G-- to review? Thank you.

Leica 77

Leica77,

I do appreciate your discussion that the 21 and 28 can be used with the adapter provided that the protectors are shaved off. I am, however, confused. I am trying to reconcile your comments with the discussion in the following thread http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/831385 . Some of the posts in that thread indicate that the 28mm was not all that sharp with the Panasonic G sensor because the sensor was unable not to adequately handle the angle of the light from the 28 and 21mm. But it was better when the f stop was 5.6 or smaller. The one photo that you posted on #65 looks sharp. What is your experience with the 21 and 28mm? Please post additional photos taken with the 21 and 28mm on the Panny G-- to review? Thank you.
Hi Howard,

Thanks so much for your comments and a discussion presented in the above thread. As per your request, I will post additional digital images recorded with the 21 and 28mm Contax G lenses in the near future. There is no doubt that I will be using these lenses on my Lumix G1 during the upcoming holidays! Best wishes for the Holiday Season! Leica 77.

M

mintra

I seem to have aquired an olympus pen body from the semi-monopoly auction site no lens, so obviously I am keen to get an adapter for my G series lenses.

I am trying to visualise what the monza solution would be like, it does occur to me that
a full ring all the way around the lens turning the little gear would be neat.

As often with materialist purchases the anticipation of the solution is of the a major part of the pleasure I can probably wait.

However I am sure as the monza device hits the shelf, the fully motorised rangfinder attachment will become available ;)

What I would like to know is are the m43 connector pin outs documented anywhere,
and the protocols or is this a closed shop standard, describing itself as an open standard?

If it was all there we could get more than just a mechanical addition of these other lenses.

monza

I would doubt the pinouts are available unless one is a member of the micro 4/3 consortium. But they could be reverse engineered. :)

Howard

Mintra,

I think that for the foreseeable future, the fully motorized rangefinder attachment will be called the "finger". I waited so long for an adapter so that I could use my Contax G lenses, not only do we have one that works that is currently available, but in a short while we will have second improved model that Monza is currently engineering. Is this a great time to be alive?

K

kvarnelis

I'd love to do have the 21 and 28 on my GF-1, but I'm unwilling to do the shaving.

Not sure why I never liked the 21, maybe it was just too wide, but I always preferred the 28. On the other hand, getting a good 42 for the GF-1 would be wonderful. Wonder if I need to buy two more lenses. :p

Leica 77

... I waited so long for an adapter so that I could use my Contax G lenses, not only do we have one that works that is currently available ... Is this a great time to be alive?
Hi Howard,

Likewise, I also waited so long for a Contax G - Micro 4/3 lens adapter and it is indeed a great time to be alive. Many years ago, I was a member of an international research team that spent several field seasons in Africa under the auspices of the USNSF. A few years after the end of the research in Africa, I acquired a couple of vintage maps of Africa from an antique shop in Australia. I post two images of one of the maps, recorded by the Contax G 28mm lens:

Lumix G1 + Contax G 28mm via Adapter. F11. 1/125 sec. ISO 800. Natural Lighting.

Lumix G1 + Contax G 28mm via Adapter. F4. 1/60 sec. ISO 100. Natural Lighting.

Kind regards, Leica 77.

Leica 77

Lumix G1 + Contax G Biogon 21mm via Adapter. F5.6. 1/60 sec. ISO 200. Natural Lighting.

Kind regards, Leica 77.

Leica 77

Lumix G1 + Contax G Biogon 21mm via Adapter. F5.6. 1/200 sec. ISO 200. "Vintage Map of Asia". Natural Lighting.

Happy Holidays! Leica 77.

Godfrey

Leica77,

ok, you've got my interest piqued.
how difficult is it to remove the shields on the back of 21/2.8 so it fits?
how did you remove them?

A

Astigmat

Yes, I'm getting excited as well. How does one remove the protectors on the back of the Contax G 28MM? And in doing so will this work on an Oly EP1 and focus to infinity? Since the rear element sits so close to the sensor would shooting wide open result in objectionable soft corners.
Astigmat

monza

The protectors have to be trimmed or snipped, by just a bit, on the 21 and 28. On the 35-70, they can be removed by taking out four screws.

Howard

Leica77,

Thank you for posting the photos. While my favorite lens with the G2 is the 21mm, at 42mm on the Panny G1, it is comparable to the 20 1.7mm that I just bought that is pretty sharp and totally integrated with the G1. I am hesitant to shave off any of the lens protector as I would diminish its resale value.

The 28mm and 45mm are another story as they translate to 56mm or 90mm on the Panny G1, respectively both fit a gap in the current Panny/Olympus lens offerings. In addition, the 90mm at 180mm on the Panny G1 also works very well as a telephoto.

The adapter currently available is workable and I expect Monza's adapter to be even better with larger, more responsive dial. After I get these lenses working with the G1, I may sell my G2 and 21mm biogon to finance a Panny 7-14mm, hopefully with money left over. Life is great and getting better. What an exciting thread!!