The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

gmoe

That's great monza, will the adapter be made to accept 21mm 28mm without modification of the lenses. Was curious about that too. Thanks in advance!

Jonas

Jonas, how did you do those flare tests?
Robert,

The flare "test" is a simple setup: I use a Maglite Mini torch focused on the camera, distance is about 100xFL, the lens focused on the torch, rules of thirds, always the same exposure and development settings. One series from wide open and down, and more but with a UV filter mounted. Geeky, but it is quickly done and gives me an idea about what to expect from the lens.

/Jonas

gmoe

For those who were brave enough to cut the "legs" off their 21mm and 28mm. If you had a choice between the two using the Contax G adapter which would your prefer? Definitely, the 21mm lenses have gone up in price but the 28mm you can find for a decent price. Just wondering for the 21mm users if it's worth the price tag and the modification. Thanks!

scho

Recently received a trio of nice Contax G lenses and a Contax G2. Here are the lenses (90mm f/2.8 Sonnar, 35mm f/2 Planar, and 45mm f/2 Planar) with the GF1. I briefly tried using the Fotodiox m43 adapter from Amazon, but did not like the focusing mechanism nor the construction of the adapter so I sent it back. Waiting now for Robert's new geared adaptor and meanwhile I'll be using the G2 with some film for a change of pace.

A few shots taken with the 35mm f/2 on the GF1 before I gave up on using the adapter.

Jonas

(...) using the Fotodiox m43 adapter (...) Waiting now for Robert's new geared adaptor
Carl, that 35mm lens seem to work fine. Is it as an avid landscape shooter you find it necessary to have both the 35 and 45mm lenses? Or did you get the lenses as a set?
I'm sorry the Fotodiox adapter didn't make it. The geared Kipon adapter works OK, hopefully Robert's adapter will be even better.

/Jonas

scho

Carl, that 35mm lens seem to work fine. Is it as an avid landscape shooter you find it necessary to have both the 35 and 45mm lenses? Or did you get the lenses as a set?
I'm sorry the Fotodiox adapter didn't make it. The geared Kipon adapter works OK, hopefully Robert's adapter will be even better.

/Jonas
I had purchased the 35 first and then got the 45+90 as a set. The 35 is actually very nice and I haven't seen any problems with corner sharpness. I used to have a Zeiss 35 biogon in M mount that did produce some corner softness.

scho

Gmoe,

here is G-Biogon 28/2.8's examples >
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/831385/1#lastmessage

and G-Biogon 21/2.8 (M-mounted)'s small set of examples >
http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/inbox

I would think there is no merit to shorten the legs (lens' rear protector) of those
wide angle G-Biogons. Of course you can still use them, but loose re-sale value.
Alex,
Thanks for posting the links to your nice series of test images. The 45 looks really good, but as you noted the 28 has the unfortunate wide angle corner smearing problem with the m43 sensor.

gmoe

Thanks Koji for those links and info.

Darn, such a shame to see the smearing on the 21mm and 28mm. :(

I guess I may go for the 35mm then.. to pair up with my 45mm and 90mm

Thanks!

Friedel

I baught the Kipon adapter, see the pictures and the examples. Mounting and dismounting is easy with both glasses, the 90 and the 45. Focusing is soft and exact, with the Planar 45 it is smoother. So far, I like the combi, you can work with it, not much slower than with my Nokton 40/1,4 or the Pen 40/1,4.
The Planar is nearly too sharp for portraits :)

Karl

Portraits all ISO 800 and Planar 45 at F2,0, hand held 1/160 sec to 1/320 sec.

scho

I baught the Kipon adapter, see the pictures and the examples. Mounting and dismounting is easy with both glasses, the 90 and the 45. Focusing is soft and exact, with the Planar 45 it is smoother. So far, I like the combi, you can work with it, not much slower than with my Nokton 40/1,4 or the Pen 40/1,4.
The Planar is nearly too sharp for portraits :)

Karl

Portraits all ISO 800 and Planar 45 at F2,0, hand held 1/160 sec to 1/320 sec.
Looks very good Karl. Thanks for posting these shots. I love "too sharp" lenses so I'm looking forward to working with the 45 Planar.

Howard

ReeRay,

Excellent photo with the 90mm and wide open. I am waiting for Monza's geared adapter, but I am happy to see there are other adapters that work.

s.agar

Jonas,

Thanks for your post. Very informative for me.

Seyhun

Lol, asking for more?
But really, it is amazing how much one can learn from taking an image of a flat surface with lines on it. I liked the PDF file in that article, it gave some food for thoughts.
Thank you for the link.

Thank you for looking/commenting. Pseudo scientific, but a way for me to learn about lenses I figure I may use a lot.
a) Yes, Zeiss is often like that.
x) My results can't be compared with results from other tests, be they made by a single person somewhere, or by Photozone or somebody else. But I can compare to my own results.

Here, for example, some flare results, all at f/2:

(So much for DPR not finding any flare in the G20/1.7)

regards,

/Jonas