The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

slau

I checked the minimum focusing distance of my GH1+RJ adapter+45f2.0:
~ 49 mm or 19" from the focal plane to sensor surface. It is acceptable to me.

Yes, the G adapter allows to focus quite a bit beyond infinity but I am fine with that. I rather have the focus beyond infinity than cannot reach infinity. It is more critical to me about focusing at the 'mid' distance.

H

Halcyon

I checked again myself. The closest focusing distance on my GF-1+45/2 is exactly 0.465m (from object plane field to focal plane field). A bit under the 0.49m mentioned by koji and Slau but broadly the same, so each one of you is right. I took my previous measurement on the first time I used the adapter so I guess I inadvertently ceased from turning the wheel when I met a 'hard point'. I apologize for that mistake.

However, the 0.017m missing on RJ adapter for a true adjustment on infinity could give an extra room to focus on close objects. The shortest focusing distance would fall around 0.45m and slightly increase the magnification ratio (#1:3). On one hand, nothing spectacular, I admit. On the other, going beyond infinity is like money down the drain.

Jonas

The lens-workshop focusing ring adapter goes just a bit beyond infinity and then down to 0.39m. That's a good choice of adapter dimensions.

A true "infinity" end point is hard to reach and I understand if the adapter maker decides to stay on the safe side. But for these money maybe one could wish...

Jonas

mabelsound; it seems as you dumped the Contax G lenses? Did you find anything suiting you better? That's off topic, I know, but I got curious.

mabelsound; it seems as you dumped the Contax G lenses? Did you find anything suiting you better? That's off topic, I know, but I got curious.
Yeah, I did, they are superb, but just too kludgy for me to enjoy using on m4/3. Someday I'll get the Leica-M-converted version of the 45mm Planar, though.

For manual lenses on m4/3, I continue to use the Pen 40/1.4 and 60/1.5 with great satisfaction. I will probably spring for a 20/3.5 too, someday, so that I can enjoy scale focusing on the street...

Jonas

(...)
For manual lenses on m4/3, I continue to use the Pen 40/1.4 and 60/1.5 with great satisfaction. I will probably spring for a 20/3.5 too, someday, so that I can enjoy scale focusing on the street...
Maybe we shouldn't take this further off topic but instead start a new My Favourite Setup thread. (Some of he Pen lenses are very good; I like my 42/1.2 also if it needs some service now, I never made friends with the 70/2, I have seen wonderful images taken with the 60/1.5.)

Rich M

mabelsound.....I just got the len-workshop adapter and have used it for a week.

I just wanna get a can of silicon spray and SOAK that sucker. Think of any reasons not to?

R

Howard

I appreciate all the comments - positive and negative about the various adapters is indeed helpful. On the video, the lens-workshop adapter looked like a great solution. However it looks like an adapter to avoid due the stickiness problem, the difficulty of focusing to due play in the wheel when going in one direction to the other, and the difficulty in accessing the focusing ring due to its location and small width. I am hopeful that Monza who has not rushed his adapter to market, is hopefully quality testing his adapter to avoid the problems discussed with other adapters.

I continue to wait impatiently.

W

wilson.c

I think the roughness is in the design of the ring focusing mechanism. It's actually a interior gear (focus ring) going to a much smaller gear (normal gear). The gearing makes focusing faster, but I find dialing in exactly is a bit rough, you need to go back and forth a few times to get it right. With the gearing comes increased torque required which I believe is causing some roughness in the mounts. I tried mounting my G lens and focusing from closest to infinity a few times smoothed things out a lot.

With the standard adapter it takes about 4 turns to get from closest distance to infinity, on the focus ring adapter, you cover the 4 rotations of the small gear with only a 120 degree on the focus ring. I believe if the manufacturers can make the inside gear bigger, the setup would perform better, but at the price of size of adapter and the increased angle of movement of the focus ring. Maybe this could be version 3 of this type of adapter ;-)

If they had geared the focus wheel to a few damped rollers/gears arrayed around the inside of the mount, instead of just mating it to the focus screw only and letting it scrape along the track the rest of the way, it would have been much more smooth. But it would also have cost a lot more money to make.

slau

It is good to share our experience with various G adapters. It seems like all of them works, and none of them is 'perfect'. But, at least we are buying into a specific adapter with our eyes wide open and hopefully no surprises. Personally, I may go for the Panasonic 45/2.8 macro if I find myself use that focal length a lot. Although I like to ue my G lenses again, I prefer the simplicity and AF with the newer lens, which is one of the main reasons I get into M4/3 system.

Rich M

mabelsound.....I just got the len-workshop adapter and have used it for a week.

I just wanna get a can of silicon spray and SOAK that sucker. Think of any reasons not to?

R
I am slowly changing my opinion of the lens-workshop adapter. I have been carefully spraying tiny amounts of silicon into the area around the focus drive. Dribble a little silicon.....rotate 20X....dribble....rotate. It never got to the point where there was any excess silicon coming out from under the focus ring.

I must say that the performance has increased twofold....I was just about ready to chuck the whole thing, but now am much more satisfied.

R

woodyspedden

I am supposed to get an update from the manufacturer today...the first article I sent back for some adjustments...
Robert

Any updates on the G adapter. Please sign me up for one. Yours is the one I really want. all that wonderful G glass just sitting there gathering dust!

Best

Woody

S

skywalker

KIPON new pattern geared G lens adapter will be realeased next week,I guess this time would be a perfect surprise.

Jonas

myself said:
Is there a description of the Robert [monza] adapter somewhere? I wonder if I have missed something?
skywalker said:
KIPON new pattern geared G lens adapter will be realeased next week,I guess this time would be a perfect surprise.
What's up with these coming adapters? Are there any descriptions or images available, or even brief comments on how they work and what they will offer over the existing ones?

/Jonas