The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

monza

Alex, I had extensive discussions during the design phase with the mechanical engineer who designed this adapter. Basically, the gearing provides faster focus, but does not reduce precision.

It really comes down to how much thumb control you have. I find myself using thumb and forefinger; this way you have as much control turning it clockwise as turning it counter-clockwise. It's pretty fast to get accurate focus.

Last edited:

monza

Even though the gears are very small they are designed with the proper shape to ensure smoothness. Click on the image to watch.

H

Halcyon

I'm pretty pleased with the focusing. Now just have to get the spring rate correct for the lens release button.
Hi Monza,
Your adapter shines and I'm longing to getting one! Two questions first:
> I suppose the hole on the right side is intended to lodge the release button. Don't you fear its protrusion could reduce access to the camera release button?
> On your picture, the finish seems a bit rough. Will the final appearence be softer?
Gérard

monza

If you look at the photo, the lens release is actually directly above the camera body lens release button...it doesn't conflict. I'm not sure what you mean by rough, it's a hard anodized machined aluminum with a teflon infill, that's what it is going to look like. :)

Alex Souvorov

Alex, I find myself using thumb and forefinger; this way you have as much control turning it clockwise as turning it counter-clockwise. It's pretty fast to get accurate focus.
Two fingers sound like much better control:) Related to this question. When I change direction of focusing I feel some free play in the focusing wheel. Part of it is in the lens focusing mechanism and nothing could be done about it. But I think that a good deal of it is in the tolerance of the focusing screwdriver. What is your approach to this part?

Any ETA on pricing?

Alex

monza

There will be a bit of play, where the thumbwheel will turn a couple of degrees back and forth before actually engaging focus. This is because the focusing screwdriver cannot mesh too tightly into the receptacle on the lens, otherwise it would be very difficult to mount the lens. It already is a little tricky aligning the screwdriver with the receptacle, but a few minutes of practice makes it relatively easy.

I'm still haggling with the manufacturer on pricing, should have that done shortly.

monza

CNC machining lines, they are visible but not in any way are they 'rough.' They are smooth to the touch. Yes, it's possible to spend more money to minimize this but I don't want to raise the cost of the product needlessly.

H

Halcyon

I understand it would be probably more expensive to obtain a perfectly smooth surface and selling price would overstep the line (it's what Leica or Hasselblad do all the time!). Maybe can you disclose some indication on your introductory price or is it still too soon to get an idea about it?

monza

I'm still negotiating with the manufacturer on pricing.

Question: should it include a micro 4/3 rear lens cap?

H

Halcyon

IMO it's not necessary. More important is the rear bayonet design in order it ensures a tight fitting to any cap (often too loose on cheap stuff).
Just compare, for instance, the Panasonic DMW-MA1 adapter with any RJ adapter. No risk to lose your rear cap with the first!

F

FaradayCage

Wow, monza, wow. I'm drooling. This is my primary reason for shopping for a GF1 or E-Px. I've got the old Contax G2 rangefinder with the 28mm, the 45mm and the 90mm and now they can come back to life. I'm getting sold on the GF1 for a variety of reasons but perhaps the E-PL1 will do (hating the plastic panels though.) Do you foresee any problems fitting on the front of an E-PL1? Rear lens cap is nice but most will likely have one already from existing m43 lenses, no?

Last edited:

monza

It will fit fine on the E-PL1 and E-P2. I recommend using the viewfinder for critical focusing. Rear cap is handy if you leave the adapter on the lens.

Alex, nice shots. ;) I think you mean 90/2.8, tho. ;)

scho

I'm still negotiating with the manufacturer on pricing.

Question: should it include a micro 4/3 rear lens cap?
My vote for including a rear m43 lens cap. I like to leave the lens mounted to the adapter and I'm always looking for extra m43 lens caps. I concur on the 35 2. It is a sweet little lens.