The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

S

skywalker

Skywalker, to be certain, is the adapter you linked the new model from Kipon rather than the old one?
yes,KIPON have two version,both geared,you can see the picture in their website.

The new one is the geared one with outside big focus ring,for focus ring,they also have two colour,silver&gold.

hodad66

yes,KIPON have two version,both geared,you can see the picture in their website.

The new one is the geared one with outside big focus ring,for focus ring,they also have two colour,silver&gold.
I wonder if the gearing is any better than what I already have?

Howard

Monza,

I am looking forward to receiving the adapter and using my Contax G lenses. I sure hope that it works much better than the other adapters that have been discussed on this thread.

Howard

F

FaradayCage

Monza, I don't even have a m4/3 body yet... and I just ordered your adapter, April 15. Can't decide between GF1 and EPL1. But I'm much more comfortable ordering from you than hoping and praying on an overseas delivery. The big farking thumbwheel looks lovely. When I get it I can post a picture of it on my Planar and Sonnar!

D

dazedproductions

The first shipment is nearly sold out. Thanks everyone for the orders. ;)
Glad I got my order in then! I am still waiting on a Kipon one as well but its been so long that I am half expecting its not going to show. If it ever shows its going back on the bay!

apicius9

O.K. I give up, resistance is futile. I also ordered one, hope I won't have to wait for the next shipment... I'm still not 100% sure I will be happy with the small wheel solution but there is only one way to find out, and of all the small wheel designs this is clearly the most promising one.

Stefan

monza

One thing that isn't mentioned much (maybe it's not even that well known) is that the Contax G lenses (except for the 90mm) will focus closer than other rangefinder lenses, such as Leica lenses.

The 35/2 Planar on the Contax bodies will focus to 0.5m. In addition the autofocus mechanism of the G lenses allow the lens to physically move beyond infinity, and also closer than close focus. I.e., the physical stop on the near side is within the close focus limit and the physical stop on the far side is beyond infinity.

What this means is that when it is adapted to micro 4/3, the 35/2 can actually focus closer than 0.5m. I don't have my camera here at the moment to do an exact measurement, but I'm estimating it will focus to about .4m, maybe a bit less.

This is significantly closer than Leica lenses, which are typically .7m to 1m. The 40/2 Summicron C is .8m. The Leica lenses have physical stops at the close focus limit so there is no cheating possible. Also since most micro 4/3 lens adapters allow focus beyond infinity, this has the offsetting result of slightly increasing the close focus distance.

This set of facts makes a huge difference, at least to me. ;)

IMHO the 35/2 and 45/2 are the perfect adapted lenses. Excellent corner to corner performance, close focus ability, reasonable price, fantastic Zeiss color and sharpness. And the 90 Sonnar is a steal for a fast tele, easily as good or better than any 90 Elmarit, lighter and much cheaper.

B

bighead1707

Would like to know the price quoted in the web including shipping cost?