The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

F

FaradayCage

Since many of you seem to have the GF1, can you say whether it is possible to shoot with autobracketing on a self-timer? It appears from the manual that you cannot. thx

scho

One thing that isn't mentioned much (maybe it's not even that well known) is that the Contax G lenses (except for the 90mm) will focus closer than other rangefinder lenses, such as Leica lenses.

The 35/2 Planar on the Contax bodies will focus to 0.5m. In addition the autofocus mechanism of the G lenses allow the lens to physically move beyond infinity, and also closer than close focus. I.e., the physical stop on the near side is within the close focus limit and the physical stop on the far side is beyond infinity.

What this means is that when it is adapted to micro 4/3, the 35/2 can actually focus closer than 0.5m. I don't have my camera here at the moment to do an exact measurement, but I'm estimating it will focus to about .4m, maybe a bit less.

This is significantly closer than Leica lenses, which are typically .7m to 1m. The 40/2 Summicron C is .8m. The Leica lenses have physical stops at the close focus limit so there is no cheating possible. Also since most micro 4/3 lens adapters allow focus beyond infinity, this has the offsetting result of slightly increasing the close focus distance.

This set of facts makes a huge difference, at least to me. ;)

IMHO the 35/2 and 45/2 are the perfect adapted lenses. Excellent corner to corner performance, close focus ability, reasonable price, fantastic Zeiss color and sharpness. And the 90 Sonnar is a steal for a fast tele, easily as good or better than any 90 Elmarit, lighter and much cheaper.
Here is an image I took today with the 35/2 Planar near the minimum close focus distance. Shot at f/5.6 on the GF1, handheld.

Emerging Maple Leaves

Annna T

Glad I got my order in then! I am still waiting on a Kipon one as well but its been so long that I am half expecting its not going to show. If it ever shows its going back on the bay!
I'm still waiting mine too; it was ordered on the 20th of March and the seller wrote me that he had shipped it on the 22th. So the wait has already lasted 25 days and still nothing in sight. Last time I took contact with him, the seller said that was normal for things shipping from Hongkong, that it could last up to 30 days.

slau

I'm still waiting mine too; it was ordered on the 20th of March and the seller wrote me that he had shipped it on the 22th. So the wait has already lasted 25 days and still nothing in sight. Last time I took contact with him, the seller said that was normal for things shipping from Hongkong, that it could last up to 30 days.
If the shipment is not delayed at the border by the Border Services, it takes no more than a week. Thank you for the SECUIRTY and customs. It took between one to three weeks to get the merchandize in my hands from Hong Kong or China. Normally, it takes about two weeks to ship between US and Canada with regular post services. So, it is normal :mad:.

D

dazedproductions

Well mine did finally show. It didn't even turn smoothly without a lens on though! After some disassembly and work with a needle file it is better but still has a sticky point and focussing is far from effortless with the small wheel. I am expecting Monzas one to be a huge step up but am looking forward to actually using the lens tomorrow for a change.

scho

If anyone is looking for a Contax G 90mm f/2.8, there is one for sale over on Fred Miranda with box caps and hood for $200. This is the guy I bought my 35mm from:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/889469/0#8367050

Cliff
That is about 2x the recent price for a Contax G 90 2.8 in EX+ condition at KEH. KEH doesn't have any at the moment and it appears that the good 35s, 45s, and 90s sell out quickly, but the 28s don't seem to be moving.

CPWarner

I am not saying that is either a great price or too high of one, it is simply what he is asking. The average price recently on Ebay for 6 sold has been $210. Law of supply and demand... I agree 35s 45s and 90s are selling as they are great lenses on the m4/3 platform. One black 45mm sold on ebay for $385 this past week! The 28s and lower need minor modification to be used and that is likely to scare people off.

scho

I am not saying that is either a great price or too high of one, it is simply what he is asking. The average price recently on Ebay for 6 sold has been $210. Law of supply and demand... I agree 35s 45s and 90s are selling as they are great lenses on the m4/3 platform. One black 45mm sold on ebay for $385 this past week! The 28s and lower need minor modification to be used and that is likely to scare people off.
Sorry guys, guess I should have looked deeper :eek:. The 90 that was listed (briefly) last week for $99 at KEH seems to have been an exceptional bargain.

CPWarner

Sorry guys, guess I should have looked deeper :eek:. The 90 that was listed (briefly) last week for $99 at KEH seems to have been an exceptional bargain.
No problem, The prices right now are all over the place and it pays to check all the various sources for used gear. Note that some include hoods and filters and some do not.

That was a good price on the 90mm at KEH.

CPWarner

Holy Hologon. Was that handheld? The DOF is so shallow I don't know how you got that centered without multiple exposures.
Yes, handheld. :) I was too lazy to go back inside and grab the tripod. I did use the manual focus zoom to nail the focus, but it is shallow depth of field.

F

FaradayCage

Very nice, CPWarner. Can't wait to get my old G lenses back on line.

R

richie15

As I said earlier, the Monza adapter looks great. Less than a full turn of the wheel to go between MFD and infinity sounds a little little but I would love to try it out.

tonyjuliano, or anyone; I have now used the lens-workshop for some time, not every day but of course more than back when I posted about my first impressions.

I contacted the seller about the gritty feeling of the focusing ring and they said this is normal for the first time, that it becomes better after running it in, that i could return the adapter and they would "run it in" for me. I kept the adapter here and exercised it myself as a Zen moment of contemplation an evening. I decided not to treat it with any oil.

Now the focusing is still not perfect, but it is much better. Maybe I should have posted about this earlier. (OTOH I prefer my Voigtländer 75/2.5 to the Sonnar 90/2.8 so I still don't know what to do with the adapter really. But that's another matter.)
I have been reading the thread front to back with interest and your last comment has prompted me to respond. I also have the CV 75mm and have found the IQ stunning, this is something I have been looking to replicate at either a 45mm or 35mm focal length. I have tried the CV 35mm 1.7 and found this very soft wide open and a bit of an odd focal length. I have the PL 45mm but am not "wowed' by the IQ (great close up but not as shapr as my CV on portraits) and am left with the choice of either the Zeiss 45mm (hence this thread) or the CV 50mm 1.5, I wonder if anyone has compared these two lenses.