The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

H

Halcyon

seakayaker

Thanks for the links . . . . .

Purchased a used Contax G Lens 90 2.8 that I received yesterday. Also ordered a used Contax G 45mm f2 which should arrive on Friday. Then it is just having patience until the adaptor arrives!

Enjoyed all the photos from those who have posted their shots.

Life is Grand!

D

dazedproductions

and am left with the choice of either the Zeiss 45mm (hence this thread) or the CV 50mm 1.5, I wonder if anyone has compared these two lenses.
Have you also considered the Zeiss sonnar 50mm 1.5? More expensive than the CV but considerably smaller as well.

R

richie15

Does this also need the adapter with a wheel or is this M mount or screw mount?

seakayaker

Does this also need the adapter with a wheel or is this M mount or screw mount?
Richie,

. . . . . are you asking about the Contax G, Zeiss, or Voigtlander Lens?

If you are asking about Contax G 45 F2 Lens
Only sold used from what I can tell in the $200 to $385.00 range from recent activity.

then you need to order one of these, or another adaptor available on the market

$ 159.00

If you are talking about the Zeiss50mm f/1.5 sonnar T ZM lens. . . .

$ 1117.00

then you will need a 'M' adaptor like this . . . . . (or others that are available)

Panasonic DMW-MA2M Leica M Mount Adapter for Leica Lenses and Lumix G Micro System Cameras
$ 199.00

If you are talking about the Voitlander 50/1.5 Aspherical Nokton
http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtlen.htm

$ 499.00

then you will need two adaptors for the GF1.

$ 179.00

and

$ 59.00

I hope this make sense.

Life is Grand!
~ ;)

R

richie15

Thanks I was referring to the Zeiss 50mm, that answers the question its an M-Mount. Its to expensive for what I need and I question how much benefit I would get over the Zeiss 45mm and the CV 50mm.

D

dazedproductions

Thanks I was referring to the Zeiss 50mm, that answers the question its an M-Mount. Its to expensive for what I need and I question how much benefit I would get over the Zeiss 45mm and the CV 50mm.
The sonnar is certainly not the value solution. Only of interest if size, the extra stop and having a proper damped focus are important to you.
The 45 I have not tried but looks to be pretty good value, small and with closer focusing than the other rangefinder lenses.
The CV has the extra stop if that is important but is larger physically.
If value is important then you also have all the SLR 50mm f1.4s which will deliver on performance and be the lowest cost solution but physically large.

Note that the adapters for the 45 are more than the leica mounts. You don't need to spend $170 on a leica M adapter, the $50 ones work well and there are also leica screw versions. You are talking about $160 for the contax G adapter.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
The sonnar is certainly not the value solution. Only of interest if size, the extra stop and having a proper damped focus are important to you.
Plus, from what I understand -- I haven't used the Sonnar 50/1.5 -- the dreamy quality the lens offers when used wide open. It seems that lots of photographers who have it, love it.

You might be interested in this LL review of three Zeiss RF lenses. Particularly the explanation by a Zeiss representative (at the end of the review) as to why the Sonnar 50/1.5 renders in such a distinctive way. A snippet:
This lens design helps to achieve pictures with a special artistic touch. This lens ‘draws’ your subject in a fine, flattering manner and is therefore ideally suited for portraiture. It renders a sharpness that is slightly rounded, being less aggressive than in contemporary lens designs, but at the same time not soft in its rendition.
I suspect that, if I were a Leica M8/M9 shooter, the Sonnar 50/1.5 would be one of the first lenses I purchased. And I don't even like the 50mm focal length.

D

dbloewen

Has anyone from Canada ordered Monza's Contax G to Micro 4/3 Adapter? I tried through PayPal today, but since there is no provision to calculate the shipping cost to a Canadian Postal Code it will not accept my order. I seem to recall some discussion about international orders but can't find it.

D

dbloewen

My error in the order. The Postal Code was not being entered correctly by the auto fill method...to many spaces:banghead:
Successful Order

Dave

D

dazedproductions

Monza, did the first lot of adapters ship out last week? I have not seen any email notifications yet.
Cheers!

R

richie15

Monza, any chance of knowing who is covered in this batch and who is waiting for the second batch?

scho

Here is an image I took today with the 35/2 Planar near the minimum close focus distance. Shot at f/5.6 on the GF1, handheld.

Emerging Maple Leaves

One week later and through a window on a rainy day. Contax G 90mm f/2.8 Sonnar at f/2.8 on the E-P2.

H

Halcyon

Monza, while waiting for your adapter, I’m wondering about a point previously left out on the forum.

On the first picture you posted here, there was no release button in the dedicated side hole (see left pict below). Maybe am I wrong but on the following photos (right pict), something appearing to be the head of an Allen screw plugs into the hole. As far as I know, we haven’t seen any further picture showing what the real final button is looking like.

Is it of ‘push-pull’ type and how did you manage to convert a sagittal movement (push button) into an axial (latch)?

View attachment 30183 View attachment 30184