The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Annna T

First impression with the Kipon adapter

I've finally been able to pick up the Kipon adapter. I got it from Roxsen and while the transactions and mail exchanges with the seller have been agreable, the shipping has lasted very long. In particular, the seller wrote me that the item was shipped on the 22th of March, but the tracking number he gave me later says it was mailed on the 8th of Aprile. The seller thinks that part of the delay was due to the 3-4 days the planes were grounded in Europe due to the Icelandic Vulcano ashes. Well all in all, I ordered and paid for it on the 20th of March and the postman noticed me of its arrival on the 4th of May; so counting from the 22th of March, the mailing and shipping lasted 44 days.
The sender mailed it as a "gift", so there was no VAT to pay; between the 7.6 % VAT and paushal 15.- SFr taken by the shipping company if the VAT is perceived, this avoided me a 17.5% increase of the price. Very nice from Roxsen.

This is the adapter I got : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150411839251&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
The seller says it is a new one with a bigger wheel. I can't tell whether it is much different from the former one, it is the only one I have, but here are my first impression :

1) The adapter can be mounted and dismounted very smoothly. I won't be worried to change often between my two lenses (the 90mm and the 45mm). I wonder whether those who complained about that weren't just unaware of the way you mount and dismount Contax G lenses : you have to seize it with the second rigged ring beneath the aperture ring, not any other part of the lense, especially neitehr with the black part, nor with the other metal ring nearer of the camera body.

2) The adapter itself is two or three milimeters wider than both the lense mount or the camera mount, probably in order to contain the gear mecanism (?), anyway, that put the focusing wheel in a better position for focusing, because it is nearer of your thumb.
3) Also, the focusing little wheel stands at about half a centimer from the body, which makes it easier to handle.
4) You don't need to turn the wheel a lot in order to go from near focus to infinite. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending upon the precision you want. I think that I prefer it that way, because of 5)
5) As has been said of most Contax G adapter : the focusing wheel is not too smooth to handle, but it is bearable. It is almost smooth when moving from near focus to farther focus, but when you are at the furtherst distance there is a rough point to overcome if you want to come back nearer.
6) Since I have M lenses too, after trying the 90mm and 45mm I put the Leica lense on in order to make comparison... and wow.. it is way easier to focuse with the smooth ring of the Leica lenses. First you can adjust set the distance approximately on the ring and then only retouch your focus manually. That isn't possible on the Zeiss lenses, which makes manual focusing quite slower.. but wow.. I liked those Zeiss lenses and I'm happy to be able to use them again.

I'm gratefull to this list for providing welcomed information concerning these adapters.

That said, Kipon is now selling a new ring adapter for the Contax lenses.. Given the slow shipping coming from Hongkong, I guess that it will last for a while before we can get some impression concerning these new adapters..

When I get the time, I'll try to post some pictures, but right now, I'm on a deadline at work and lacking time..

D

dazedproductions

Anna, which lens were you testing it with? I find that the kippon (and I believe I have the same as you) works ok on the 35mm but on the 90mm the wheel is too small to get enough purchase to adjust smoothly. I also needed to spray a bunch of wd40 into mine to get it to turn sorta-freely. Putting lenses on and off is very easy though thanks to the sprung drive.

Annna T

Anna, which lens were you testing it with? I find that the kippon (and I believe I have the same as you) works ok on the 35mm but on the 90mm the wheel is too small to get enough purchase to adjust smoothly. I also needed to spray a bunch of wd40 into mine to get it to turn sorta-freely. Putting lenses on and off is very easy though thanks to the sprung drive.
I have only two lenses : the 45mm and the 90mm. The 90mm seems to work smoother than the 45mm. But the 45mm is also somewhat hard on the Contax body.

seakayaker

Received the adaptor from Monza yesterday. No problem with placing the 45mm or 90mm lenses in the adaptor. The focus wheel does feel stiff at this point, but I will have to give it some time to see if it becomes a little more smooth when focusing. Went out and did a few test shots.

. . . . . a couple of shots from Legacy lens . . . . .

Carl Zeiss Contax G 45mm f/2

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contax G 45mm f/2 -- ISO 100 - f/2 -- 1/2500 -- 45mm

Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5

GF1 with Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 -- ISO 100 -- f/2 -- 1/1300 -- 50mm

JPEG straight from camera, reduces in size in photoshop, shot hand held.

Will post a few later when time permits.

Life is Grand!

~ ;)

seakayaker

A couple of IRIS shots from this afternoon with the GF1 & Zeiss Contax G Planar T* 45mm f/2.

Iris

GF1 with Zeiss Contax G Planar T* 45mm f/2 -- ISO 400 -- f/4 -- 1/320 -- 45mm

Iris

GF1 with Zeiss Contax G Planar T* 45mm f/2 -- ISO 400 -- f/4 -- 1/500 -- 45mm

Downloaded photos from camera to aperature, ran Dfine on JPEG which created a .tiff file. Opened the .tiff file in Photoshop the resized and saved as jpeg to upload to flickr.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

S

schakal.

Hi, ordered monzas adapter at weekend...

Monza one question, do you know how long it will take to get the adaprer to austria?
Did i get one from batch 2 ???

Thx!!!!

Martin S

Just received the adapter.

Tried it with the 35mm G. Focus is quite stiff. Not sure if it is the lens, or adapter. Will try the 45mm G next.

Martin

P

panamamike

Just received the adapter.

Tried it with the 35mm G. Focus is quite stiff. Not sure if it is the lens, or adapter. Will try the 45mm G next.

Martin
Please let us know what you think, did you happen to have experience with any of the other adapters?

As far as stiffness, is it a big problem, or just an annoyance?

How easy is it to get good focus?

Mike

Martin S

I mounted, and re-mounted the lens several times. The focus was still stiff, and more important, seemed to slip at times. Now, the lens hasn't been used in several years (5+), so the lens itself might be the cause.

I will try another lens in the next few days, and see if this problem persists.

Also, I don't know how much resistance to focus the actual lens internal helicoid represents. That is, I don't know how much resistance is due to the actual motion of the internal focussing element(s). In the original G2 mounted state, the focus was driven electrically by the body, so I have no idea how much torque was necessary to focus the lens.

I wish this lens had a regular focussing ring!!!

I will try the 45mm G next.

I will keep you posted, and I would like to hear from other adapter users about their experiences.

Martin

hodad66

on both of my lenses (45 - 90) the focus is jumpy. The
adapter doesn't matter although both handle it differently.
For static subjects it's simply an annoyance. Moving
subjects simply won't be captured correctly without luck.

scho

I mounted, and re-mounted the lens several times. The focus was still stiff, and more important, seemed to slip at times. Now, the lens hasn't been used in several years (5+), so the lens itself might be the cause.

I will try another lens in the next few days, and see if this problem persists.

Also, I don't know how much resistance to focus the actual lens internal helicoid represents. That is, I don't know how much resistance is due to the actual motion of the internal focussing element(s). In the original G2 mounted state, the focus was driven electrically by the body, so I have no idea how much torque was necessary to focus the lens.

I wish this lens had a regular focussing ring!!!

I will try the 45mm G next.

I will keep you posted, and I would like to hear from other adapter users about their experiences.

Martin
Martin, Does your 35 have a loose fit in the adapter? I've also been having some problems using the 35 on Robert's adapter. First, my 35 has a very loose fit when mounted to the adapter and it appears that this is causing movement off axis when rotating the focus wheel. The result is rough focusing with skipping and occasional binding. My 45 and particularly my 90 have better fits (still loose, but not quite as loose as the 35) and they give a better focusing performance with this adapter. I should note that my 35 does focus smoothly with the Kipon adapter and it also fits tightly in the adapter. Negatives with the Kipon are the small focusing wheel and greater difficulty mounting and un-mounting lenses from the adapter. Lenses mount and un-mount very smoothly with Robert's adapter.

Martin S

The lens fits tightly to the adapter. As a matter of fact, the removal of the lens from the adapter was initially difficult until I pressed the external screw head on the adapter in the correct direction.

I followed the video instructions, and rotated the focus wheel, and aligned the focus screw head with the lens before rotating the lens fully on the adapter to lock it in place.

Again, I will try a different lens before making any conclusions.

Again, too bad that Zeiss/Kyocera never put a focussing ring on this series of lenses. I guess they never thought of using these lenses on any other camera body.

Martin

D

dazedproductions

Martin
I hate to point out the obvious but its easy to check how much torque is required to focus by turning the focus drive with a screwdriver. Just remember that the monza adaptor is going to need more torque as it has a step up gearbox. Of mine, the 35 spins very easily with a screwdriver but the 90 is stiffer. Still waiting on my monza adapter, will report back when it arrives

R

richie15

I have found this on another forum.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dcw/docs/366/184/html/06.jpg.html

For those with Contax G lenses, or contemplating getting some, he's an adapter that may be of interest, as it has a full focussing ring rather than the wheel on most adapters (scroll down about halfway):

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/dressup/20100512_366184.html

Also, these look like they accommodate the 28mm with its deep element (scroll to bottom):

http://contax2.hp.infoseek.co.jp/microfourthirds/sale0-GtoMFT.htm

This translates in google translator to this

Body: Pen Olympus E-P1 (White)
Lens: Carl Zeiss Biogon T * 28mm F2.8 G
Mount Adapter: CoYo Contax G Mount Adapter
Strap: Artisan & Artist ACAM-280 (Gray)
Bonded leather kit: Aki-Asahi E-P1 kit for leather color paste (Aiboririzado)
Damages resulting from reading this article made ※ The editorial Watch digital camera, and Sawamura Tetsu manufacturer, purchased a shop in this document. The digital camera and Sawamura Tetsu Watch editors are questions to answer individual inquiries about the article can not be.
Ever since the introduction of Micro, resurrected in several heavy-handed digital lens. Among them, the resurrection of Contax G lenses can say even shocking. The AF Contax G rangefinder is a unique school model. Controls for focusing on the body, not the lens focus ring. Micro 29mm flange while longer, and the focus adjustment mechanism in the adapter 組Mi込Manaku should. Therefore, the product of truly believed I was not difficult.

Which is G Biogon T * F2.8 28mm, L Leica M mount was modified to use a popular type. With the advent of this adapter, the modification can be used without G Biogon T * 28mm. This is a great advantage. Cutting from the open well, striking bright color and high contrast. Enjoy the taste and wide-angle lens blur, however, that the price of 20,000 yen is a bargain price used. Lightroom is a RAW examples are taken to develop straight.

Hall has been sold CoYo Contax cameras made in heaven G adapter, it's not possible products. This adapter has two prominent features. One is that it first rotary. Early Adapter Contax G dial was adopted. There is a small dial on the side adapter to adjust the lens focus gear Turn it. Necessary and sufficient features, however, once you want to move from near infinity, a small dial shuffle slowly. The adapter is rotated rotary outer ring as the focus has been a significant improvement in usability. Helicoid is not smooth enough, but much smoother compared with the focus dial. Champagne and gold tone color scheme also has good compatibility with the lens is.

The second is "G Biogon T * 28mm F2.8" but are ready. Traditional products, Contax G lens 35mm, 45mm, 90mm was the only response. System wide-angle lens so that the ball protrudes guard after it failed to install. Some users cut Biogon 28mm F2.8 lens guards had forcibly attached to the middle. This is the world experienced a high threshold, even layer.

This adapter that point, and only Olympus Micro Machine Biogon T * 28mm F2.8 G can be attached on the unmodified. Because the design is somewhat thin, fit well to focus at infinity to close problems. However, there is a restriction that with the lens attached to the body from the adapter to be sure. Because it appeared to be familiar with the detachable camera paradise hall website, you will be safe and have a look at the time of purchase.

CoYo latest adapter made have been obtained prior to spread quickly. Combined with Olympus 28mm Biogon body has allowed only to wear.
★ CoYo latest adapter \ 24,800 -
Panasonic compatible ◇ P35mm, P45mm, S90mm
Olympus support ◇ B28mm, P35mm, P45mm, S90mm
*** *** For details please as soon as possible ◆ little stock, click here

P

panamamike

I have found this on another forum.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dcw/docs/366/184/html/06.jpg.html

For those with Contax G lenses, or contemplating getting some, he's an adapter that may be of interest, as it has a full focussing ring rather than the wheel on most adapters (scroll down about halfway):

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/dressup/20100512_366184.html

Also, these look like they accommodate the 28mm with its deep element (scroll to bottom):

http://contax2.hp.infoseek.co.jp/microfourthirds/sale0-GtoMFT.htm

This translates in google translator to this

Body: Pen Olympus E-P1 (White)
Lens: Carl Zeiss Biogon T * 28mm F2.8 G
Mount Adapter: CoYo Contax G Mount Adapter
Strap: Artisan & Artist ACAM-280 (Gray)
Bonded leather kit: Aki-Asahi E-P1 kit for leather color paste (Aiboririzado)
Damages resulting from reading this article made ※ The editorial Watch digital camera, and Sawamura Tetsu manufacturer, purchased a shop in this document. The digital camera and Sawamura Tetsu Watch editors are questions to answer individual inquiries about the article can not be.
Ever since the introduction of Micro, resurrected in several heavy-handed digital lens. Among them, the resurrection of Contax G lenses can say even shocking. The AF Contax G rangefinder is a unique school model. Controls for focusing on the body, not the lens focus ring. Micro 29mm flange while longer, and the focus adjustment mechanism in the adapter 組Mi込Manaku should. Therefore, the product of truly believed I was not difficult.

Which is G Biogon T * F2.8 28mm, L Leica M mount was modified to use a popular type. With the advent of this adapter, the modification can be used without G Biogon T * 28mm. This is a great advantage. Cutting from the open well, striking bright color and high contrast. Enjoy the taste and wide-angle lens blur, however, that the price of 20,000 yen is a bargain price used. Lightroom is a RAW examples are taken to develop straight.

Hall has been sold CoYo Contax cameras made in heaven G adapter, it's not possible products. This adapter has two prominent features. One is that it first rotary. Early Adapter Contax G dial was adopted. There is a small dial on the side adapter to adjust the lens focus gear Turn it. Necessary and sufficient features, however, once you want to move from near infinity, a small dial shuffle slowly. The adapter is rotated rotary outer ring as the focus has been a significant improvement in usability. Helicoid is not smooth enough, but much smoother compared with the focus dial. Champagne and gold tone color scheme also has good compatibility with the lens is.

The second is "G Biogon T * 28mm F2.8" but are ready. Traditional products, Contax G lens 35mm, 45mm, 90mm was the only response. System wide-angle lens so that the ball protrudes guard after it failed to install. Some users cut Biogon 28mm F2.8 lens guards had forcibly attached to the middle. This is the world experienced a high threshold, even layer.

This adapter that point, and only Olympus Micro Machine Biogon T * 28mm F2.8 G can be attached on the unmodified. Because the design is somewhat thin, fit well to focus at infinity to close problems. However, there is a restriction that with the lens attached to the body from the adapter to be sure. Because it appeared to be familiar with the detachable camera paradise hall website, you will be safe and have a look at the time of purchase.

CoYo latest adapter made have been obtained prior to spread quickly. Combined with Olympus 28mm Biogon body has allowed only to wear.
★ CoYo latest adapter \ 24,800 -
Panasonic compatible ◇ P35mm, P45mm, S90mm
Olympus support ◇ B28mm, P35mm, P45mm, S90mm
*** *** For details please as soon as possible ◆ little stock, click here
That's a bit odd. That looks a lot like the adapters sold on Ebay that specifically say you need to mod the lens for it to mount.

Mike

D

dbloewen

Here is an interesting adopter for the Contax G90 to nikon mount. There's no description and the sellers blog shows the same photo. The focus ring looks quite large, but I can't make out where the part that hold the focus mechanism on the lens itself is. (Maybe its just an artistic rendition of an adapter??) If this is an actual adaptation it should work on a nikon to m43 adapter

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CONTAX-G90-SONNA...mera_Lenses&hash=item4aa127a6b5#ht_508wt_1167

seakayaker

Went out this evening with the GF1/adaptor and the Zeiss Contax 45/2.

The Rose

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contax G 45mm f/2 -- ISO 100 -- f/2 -- 1/640 -- 45mm

Seattle Skyline

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contax G 45mm f/2 -- ISO 100 -- f/2 -- 1/640 -- 45mm

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)