The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

Annna T

Here is an interesting adopter for the Contax G90 to nikon mount. There's no description and the sellers blog shows the same photo. The focus ring looks quite large, but I can't make out where the part that hold the focus mechanism on the lens itself is. (Maybe its just an artistic rendition of an adapter??) If this is an actual adaptation it should work on a nikon to m43 adapter

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CONTAX-G90-SONNA...mera_Lenses&hash=item4aa127a6b5#ht_508wt_1167
Thanks for the link. The lense seems to have been modified : the part going from the aperture ring to the body looks shorter. I followed the Flickr link and found pictures taken with a Canon 5D + the 90mm Sonnar.

R

richie15

Monza how are you looking for the 2nd shipping date being the 15th?

monza

I've got the adapter bodies and am awating the gear shipment. Since it's now Thursday, I don't believe the 15th will be realistic since that's a Saturday. I'm also making a minor update and may implement that change in the 2nd batch (and update all those in the first.) This improvement might take a 3-4 more days.

D

dbloewen

Thanks for the link. The lense seems to have been modified : the part going from the aperture ring to the body looks shorter. I followed the Flickr link and found pictures taken with a Canon 5D + the 90mm Sonnar.
There is something weird about the lens because the lens barrel does not seem show two kernelled rings like a normal Contax G90 Sonnar (at least from pictures I have seen of it). The front of the lens does seem to have normal markings. I only have the 45 f2 and there are defiantly two kernelled rings. I sent an email to the seller to determine if this is a modified lens or lens plus adapter. Waiting for a reply.

Dave

R

richie15

I've got the adapter bodies and am awating the gear shipment. Since it's now Thursday, I don't believe the 15th will be realistic since that's a Saturday. I'm also making a minor update and may implement that change in the 2nd batch (and update all those in the first.) This improvement might take a 3-4 more days.
Thanks, what are you looking to change?

D

dbloewen

There is something weird about the lens because the lens barrel does not seem show two kernelled rings like a normal Contax G90 Sonnar (at least from pictures I have seen of it). The front of the lens does seem to have normal markings. I only have the 45 f2 and there are defiantly two kernelled rings. I sent an email to the seller to determine if this is a modified lens or lens plus adapter. Waiting for a reply.

Dave
Annna T
The reply I got from the seller hawks_factory of Taiwan is "It's modified lens and make helicoid fit with lens". I don't know exactly what this means but that was all they said.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CONTAX-G90-SONNA...mera_Lenses&hash=item4aa127a6b5#ht_508wt_1167

Dave

Last edited:

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Annna T
The reply I got from the seller hawks_factory of Taiwan is "It's modified lens and make helicoid fit with lens". I don't know exactly what this means but that was all they said.

Dave
For USD 450 you get a Sonnar G 90/2.8 with a focusing ring and a Nikon mount. He has replaced the screw-driven Contax G focusing mechanism with a helicoid and exchanged the Contax G mount for a Nikon F mount. In the description he says:
Focusing : 0.52m ~ infinity
Auction does not include camera, sell lens only.
If I were a Nikon shooter, I'd probably go for a Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 90/3.5 instead. Or spend an extra USD 100 on the series II version with a CPU metering chip.

D

dbloewen

For USD 450 you get a Sonnar G 90/2.8 with a focusing ring and a Nikon mount. He has replaced the screw-driven Contax G focusing mechanism with a helicoid and exchanged the Contax G mount for a Nikon F mount. In the description he says:
Focusing : 0.52m ~ infinity
Auction does not include camera, sell lens only.
If I were a Nikon shooter, I'd probably go for a Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 90/3.5 instead. Or spend an extra USD 100 on the series II version with a CPU metering chip.
I agree there are better options for Nikon. My initial interest was for use on my GF1 via my nikon to m43 adapter with the added benefit of being able to use it on my Nikon. From the illustration it appears the focusing ring is quite large and the nikon to m43 adapter would place the focusing ring in a nice position from the GF1 camera body.
On the other hand, if the conversion is of poor quality, you might end up with an expensive paper weight. I'm not going to risk it.

Dave

Annna T

Dave
I have both the 45 and the 90mm (without counting the WA lensees) and all the Zeiss G lenses have the same two rings between the aperture ring and the body (without counting the black shell near of the body). I think that the 90mm you have seen has been rather severely modified in order to accomodate the focusing ring for the Nikon mount. There are shops doing that kind of thing : I once found one aobut a shop who can modify your Zeiss G lenses into a Leica M lense. (http://www.japanexposures.com/lens/ trough KenRockwell www site http://kenrockwell.com/leica/contax-g-conversions.htm#rex) They were stripped bare from their external shell after the aperture ring (it is quite an uggly thing) :-( but better than having your lenses in a cupboard.

Last edited:
D

dbloewen

I have both the 45 and the 90mm (without counting the WA lensees) and all the Zeiss G lenses have the same two rings between the aperture ring and the body (without counting the black shell near of the body). I think that the 90mm you have seen has been rather severely modified in order to accomodate the focusing ring for the Nikon mount. There are shops doing that kind of thing : I once found one aobut a shop who can modify your Zeiss G lenses into a Leica M lense. (http://www.japanexposures.com/lens/ trough KenRockwell www site http://kenrockwell.com/leica/contax-g-conversions.htm#rex) They were stripped bare from their external shell after the aperture ring (it is quite an uggly thing) :-( but better than having your lenses in a cupboard.
Thank you for the links. I agree it looks like an extensive modification and quite a costly one. I'm waiting for the Monza adapter for my 45 f2. Hopefully that works out satisfactorily. I think I'll stick with the manufactures lenses from here on.
Dave

Annna T

Thank you for the links. I agree it looks like an extensive modification and quite a costly one. I'm waiting for the Monza adapter for my 45 f2. Hopefully that works out satisfactorily. I think I'll stick with the manufactures lenses from here on.
Dave
The price is for the modified lense (aka a second hand lense plus the modification work). If you already have the lense it costs less, but you have to ship the lense there, which I find dissuasive..

D

dbloewen

The price is for the modified lense (aka a second hand lense plus the modification work). If you already have the lense it costs less, but you have to ship the lense there, which I find dissuasive..
There are black holes in the universe - at least thats what my bank account tells me:lecture: :cry:

S

schakal.

Hey monza!

Can you tell me when you are going to start the shipping for the next adapters?

Thx!!!!!!!!

monza

Hi, I have a few more that will ship today, and then a larger qty when more gears finally arrive, they were due already...thanks for your patience :)

seakayaker

Rhododendron

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contax G Sonnar T* 90mm f/2.8 -- ISO 400 -- f/2.8 -- 1/800 -- 90mm

Out for a walk this evening, in the cold and some light rain, with the GF1 and the Contax G 90mm mounted on the Monza adaptor.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

S

schakal.

Thanks, do we get an sending information or shipping details when you are sending it?

Greetz from austria