The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

seakayaker

With the recent 'focus' regarding the adaptor for the Contax G Lens I thought I would take a walk down to one of the local gardens and take the 45/2 and 90/2.8 out for another spin . . . . .

Pink Flowers

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Planar 45mm F/2 -- ISO 100 -- f/2 -- 1/400 -- 45mm

Red Poppy

Gf1 with Carl Zeiss Sonnar 90mm f/2.8 -- ISO 100 -- f/2.8 -- 1/250 -- 90mm

The 45/2 worked well using the two finger focus method while the 90/2.8 had a few times where I could not quite capture focus. So I would walk away, extend the lens out and back then reframe and capture the shot. The lenses were easy to place into and remove from the adaptor.

I really like the Zeiss lenses and they work well with the adaptor with some limitations.

Robert, I am sending along some good Karma with the hope that a slight modification in the future will make the adaptor perfect!

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

K

KHG

So I have had Monza's adapter for about a week and wanted to provide a few thoughts.

First off, the adapter is very well made and it is obvious that considerable time and effort were spent on this. I was hoping for this adapter to provide a smooth focus on the G lenses, but unfortunately have run into the same stiffness and sticking as the other users. I have spent some time trying to diagnose the concerns raised with this adapter. This is what I have found:

The "play" that is felt is caused by the variation in the width between the adapter's male focus drive screw and the female portion located on the lens. This variation in width is also what I believe is causing the sticking and stiffness. When torque is applied to the focus knob, the drive screw will slip towards one side, causing much more force needed. This can be reproduced by centering the lens on the adapter and turning the adapter wheel. You should notice that the lens rotates slightly on the adapter.

The key is to find a way to keep the adapter's screw drive centered on the lens drive. I believe that there are two ways to solve this problem. The first is to widen the adapter's screw drive. Unfortunately this would be very difficult to do with the current adapter. The other option would be to slightly round off the adapter's screw drive. If you look at the Contax G body's screw drive you will notice that it is slightly rounded. When matched with a slightly rounded female end, this creates a centering feature.

I'm not 100% committed to visiting the machine shop to try this without some spare parts, but am interested in some thoughts and feedback.

K

sim

Dear Monza,

I received your adapter at last. I'll try it this week end and I will let you know what I think.

mls64

So I have had Monza's adapter for about a week and wanted to provide a few thoughts.

First off, the adapter is very well made and it is obvious that considerable time and effort were spent on this. I was hoping for this adapter to provide a smooth focus on the G lenses, but unfortunately have run into the same stiffness and sticking as the other users. I have spent some time trying to diagnose the concerns raised with this adapter. This is what I have found:

The "play" that is felt is caused by the variation in the width between the adapter's male focus drive screw and the female portion located on the lens. This variation in width is also what I believe is causing the sticking and stiffness. When torque is applied to the focus knob, the drive screw will slip towards one side, causing much more force needed. This can be reproduced by centering the lens on the adapter and turning the adapter wheel. You should notice that the lens rotates slightly on the adapter.
Great summary. My adapter has the same characteristics. It is a bit
"rough" in focus with the 45mm, but the 90mm is pretty smooth and allows
for one-finger focusing. The lenses are so nice, though, I'll put up with the
finicky nature of Monza's adapter until a fix or better design comes along.
All of the adapters have their weak points, and it seems that Monza's is the
best of the crop right now.

seakayaker

KIPON G lens adapter for SONY NEX now avalible.

You may receive more attention or conversation regarding the subject of an adaptor for the Sony NEX if you started a separate thread for the Sony NEX camera.

People that may be interested in the information you posted on the NEX with adaptor may not open a thread regarding "Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?"

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

A

Aldrin

I am also searching for an adapter for my G45 and G90 to a Panasonic GF 1. Came across this and wonder if anyone have tested it?

Aldrin

Annna T

I am also searching for an adapter for my G45 and G90 to a Panasonic GF 1. Came across this and wonder if anyone have tested it?

Aldrin
This looks like the first generation of adapter with a ring. Some one on this thread already commented about it a while ago, comparing it to the other type of adapter with a gear wheel. It seems that the focusing operations were rather rough too. Kipon who has a good reputation is also selling a new adapter with a ring since a few weeks. This is the one I'd get :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kipon-New-adapt...wItem&pt=Lens_Accessories&hash=item4150b86363

Personnally I own a second generation Kipon adapter, one with a bigger wheel which shows some roughness, but not too much.

A

Aldrin

Many thx for pointing me towards the Kipon adapter. How would you say the picture quality is with the adapter mounted on your camera?

//Aldrin
www.hakanaldrin.com

This looks like the first generation of adapter with a ring. Some one on this thread already commented about it a while ago, comparing it to the other type of adapter with a gear wheel. It seems that the focusing operations were rather rough too. Kipon who has a good reputation is also selling a new adapter with a ring since a few weeks. This is the one I'd get :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kipon-New-adapt...wItem&pt=Lens_Accessories&hash=item4150b86363

Personnally I own a second generation Kipon adapter, one with a bigger wheel which shows some roughness, but not too much.

Last edited:

seakayaker

Took a walk with the Zeiss Sonnar 90mm f2.8 - one of the many photos taken . . . . .

Blue Passionflower

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Sonnar 90mm f/2.8 -- ISO 100 -- f/4 -- 1/160

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Annna T

If you want to see what the IQ delivered by the Zeiss lenses is, look in this very thread (it is 14 pages long and many members have posted several pictures, some showing 100% crop if I remember correctly). The 45mm is very sharp. The 90mm somewhat less, but then it is more difficult to focuse with the E-P1.

Many thx for pointing me towards the Kipon adapter. How would you say the picture quality is with the adapter mounted on your camera?

//Aldrin
www.hakanaldrin.com

jrosen2

Just received the new Kipon adapter with the ring focus to use on the 45mm f/2. It is a pleasure to use. It is very smooth through the entire focus range with no sticking or jerking. It just behaves like a focus ring on other manual lenses.

seakayaker

Just received the new Kipon adapter with the ring focus to use on the 45mm f/2. It is a pleasure to use. It is very smooth through the entire focus range with no sticking or jerking. It just behaves like a focus ring on other manual lenses.
. . . . . any chance you could post a photo of the adaptor with lens on your camera?

Where did you purchase and what is the cost.

Thanks,

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

scho

This thread on adapters for Contax G lenses now includes quite a few image posts taken with Contax G lenses on various m43 cameras. I've posted some and I certainly have enjoyed viewing those posted by others. Should we continue to post Contax G images here or should we start a new images only thread and leave this thread just for the technical discussions? While giving that some thought, here is another Contax G 45mm f/2 Planar image from the G2.

slau

When I set up this thread, there were only a few Contax G adapters available, and none of them have much a track record or user report. I was looking for information and user experience on limited numbers of adapters, and thought other G lenses owners would like to know what was available too.

Over time, there have been more and more adapters available, and the nature of this thread has been changed quite a bit. It is a good idea to post images showing how the adapter looks like on the camera body. But, any images (or messages) other than showing the G adapter would be better off to start a new thread. It will be more beneficial to keep this thread strictly for discussion on adapters.