The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

C

cblane

I've had the Monza adapter for several days now and my experience has been mixed. It's well made and my 45mm attaches easily. Focusing is mostly smooth but with a few rough spots. As I was fiddling with it I made an interesting observation. When I hold the camera upside-down the focusing is consistently smooth. It seems like the drive for the lenses need just the right pressure to turn smoothly. I noticed that the drive on the Contax G2 is spring loaded (probably to help assure the correct pressure).

I found it very difficult to mount my 90mm and finally by aligning the lens drive slot with a screwdriver I was able to mount it. Focusing is more uneven than with the 45 however I was able to get tack-sharp photos with it. I doubt I'll use the 90 much since a 180mm equivalent is a bit difficult to keep very steady on such a small light camera (GF-1).

U

uusunn

Just bought a Metabones Contax G - M43 adapter. It definitely looked the most promising and the fact that the ring was designed to look 'more finished' (subjective, but it looks more like a 'focusing ring' out of all the adapters on the market right now) with great reviews on the materials used really sealed the deal.

It should be shipping soon. I will post a video of the focusing action and pictures taken / pictures of it mounted with my GF1 + Zeiss Planar 45mm when I get it for the good of the platform and lens. I will make a site profiling the Metabones adapter (and others for review if anyone such as Monza is interested) for anyone looking to buy or sell, so as to streamline the whole experience of adapter hunting for these incredible Contax G lenses. I'm making what I wish I had to base my decisions off of when buying an adapter for my GF1.

Hopefully this will make things a lot easier for people looking to put in some money towards the lenses, but not sure on which adapters to go for.

A little more about the metabones adapter: the seller is primarily on the MU43 forums and seems to have access to these adapters. He guarantees 7-day shipping, and at 130$, it drives a harder bargain than the Kipon (most inexpensive 130$, but 2 weeks - 2 months shipping time), and the Monza for now. I have not tested the latter two adapters myself (I hope to make a reasonable case for them with the new website profile that i'm making), so for all I know, they may be worth the premiums (and as I said before, I don't know enough about them to judge.. but I hope that Monza and I can work out a 'review' unit for the good of the thread).

In the end, it all comes down to what you feel most comfortable with buying for now. In the interim, I will be designing and developing a website for GetDPI members and all M43 users looking to buy into Contax G lenses.

Coming soon!

Last edited:
U

uusunn

UPDATE:

Just received word from 'lasjas' (seller of the Metabones adapters) that the 28mm will fit in this one WITHOUT modifications. :toocool:

ReeRay

Metabones adapter en-route to me also. Seemingly ALL G lenses will fit including the 21mm!

I'll report as soon as it arrives.

aleksanderpolo

It will probably fit, but will the rear lens guard hit the shutter? I thought that's the reason why the rear lens guard need to be cut off or removed for the G lens wider than 35mm. Hope that no one damage their camera's shutter.

Jonas

Metabones adapter, first day impressions:

As I have a couple of Metabones adapters already I didn't hesitate to buy a Contax G -> µ4/3 adapter when it became available. Just like the ones I already have this Contax G adapter is very well made.

Adapter type: Focusing ring
Seller: lasjashk (eBay)
Weight: 138g

I have one Contax G lens only now, a chrome 45mm Planar. Here is what the adapter looks like on a G1 with the lens mounted:

and

and

More images of the adapter are made available by the seller, for example by looking at eBay item No 220640912872.

As you can see in these images the focusing ring is over-sized compared to the focusing ring -type adapters from lens-workshop. It is also very much easier to reach and turn than the ring was on the lens-workshop adapter I tried earlier (and described somewhere in this thread).

With this chrome-blue-black combo of colours it is easy to see what the adapter looks like. In the middle image there is an arrow pointing towards a chrome "ring". That ring is part of the adapter and will look like pictured also wit a black lens.

Thanks to sheer size and mass and perhaps something more (I haven taken the adapter apart) the focusing ring now goes more smoothly from one end to another. It is fully possible to make small adjustments as the play when switching directions is very little.

There is about 110 degrees from MFD to infinity. MFD was measured to 0.47m.

Compared to other adapters I have tried this is the best one. I would place the Kipon geared thumb wheel type adapter at second place and the Lens-workshop ring type adapter at the bottom of the short list. It is possible that Lens-workshop now have an updated focusing ring adapter, I can't say.

One drawback, this adapter is heavy. At 138g it is significantly heavier than the Kipon adapter mentioned (59g).

Cheers,

/Jonas

kds315

Thanks for that Jonas, I wanted to go for that one and you gave me the last push needed. [Just a comment on lens-workshop a bit off-topic: I would be rather careful, as they (he) took three of my lenses for conversion and I never saw those again nor heard from them again despite my mails ... lost $$$$]

slau

Thank you, Jonas. The Metabones adapter seems to be very well made and finally the one I don't mind trying again, in addition to my other adapters.

jrosen2

I just got my Metabones adapter and, unlike Jonas, I am a little disappointed in it.

First, it was very difficult to get onto my 45mm. I was able to line up the screw part, but it took a few minutes of fiddling to get the adapter physically onto the lens. It does not come with instructions. There is a small 'slide switch' on the back of the adapter which I assume is the way to get it off the lens, but no indication as to which way it should be slid when putting it onto the lens.

Second, it is NOT as smooth as the 2nd generation Kipon adapter (with the encircling helicoid ring) in focusing. The wide ring is very nice but there still is some jerkiness to it. It is not the lens because there was no jerkiness at all with the Kipon. There is also less resistance to turning the ring than there was with the Kipon.

Third, as mentioned above it is very heavy!

It is much better however than any of the small ring type adapters that I have tried.

Jonas

Addendum - the Metabones adapter

I should have mentioned:

Delivery time: A total of five working days from order to delivery
Service: Excellent communication, Lasjas has always been kind and correct
and
Focusing ring: fine grooves - giving a good grip, not all the way around unfortunately (as seen at the top of the first image, and then of course in the last image)

Klaus, you sent Lens-workshop three lenses and then nothing?!!! Well, that would put anyone off. I'm sorry to hear that.

regards,

/Jonas

kds315

Yep about $1500 worth of lenses down the drain without a word of excuse or what happened. They were sent in for mount conversion after a first successful test. But I don't want to hijack that thread here...

Jonas

I just got my Metabones adapter and, unlike Jonas, I am a little disappointed in it.
(...)
Second, it is NOT as smooth as the 2nd generation Kipon adapter (with the encircling helicoid ring) in focusing. The wide ring is very nice but there still is some jerkiness to it. It is not the lens because there was no jerkiness at all with the Kipon. There is also less resistance to turning the ring than there was with the Kipon.
(...)
Maybe quality control problems?

As mine is smooth, not as in super smooth but smooth as in way better than the other adapters I have tried, I wonder if some oil or grease somewhere inside the adapter can make it work better for you?

Do you find the focusing ring too easy to turn?

/Jonas

jrosen2

Yes, it is easy to turn but when you stop at the spot where you are close to the final focus and try to critically adjust the focus, I find that it is jerky and requires many slight turns of the ring to get to that final sweet spot. Frequently the jerkiness causes you to overshoot and you have to try to readjust again.
I wouldn't know where to lubricate it short of spraying the whole ring with silicone. That will require me to remove the lens from the adapter. Considering all the trouble I had installing it, I am not looking forward to that.

Jonas

Yes, it is easy to turn but when you stop at the spot where you are close to the final focus and try to critically adjust the focus, I find that it is jerky (...)
Hmm. My combo (lens and adapter) is not like that. It's surprisingly smooth, also when doing the last critical adjustment.
Why not contact Lasjas and ask him about it - maybe he knows about the problem? Our stories are also similar to what other users have reported on most other adapters. It seem as some combinations of adapters and lenses work better and some are worse.
I would go through the hassle to see if something could get improved. It is always much more fun to work with equipment that feels good.

Anyway, it's good you chimed in, now the reader is warned.

regards,

/Jonas

L

lasjashk

Yes, it is easy to turn but when you stop at the spot where you are close to the final focus and try to critically adjust the focus, I find that it is jerky and requires many slight turns of the ring to get to that final sweet spot. Frequently the jerkiness causes you to overshoot and you have to try to readjust again.
I wouldn't know where to lubricate it short of spraying the whole ring with silicone. That will require me to remove the lens from the adapter. Considering all the trouble I had installing it, I am not looking forward to that.
Hi, jrosen2,
Sorry! our adapter make you disturbed........Sorry!
I reported this case to our designer now and i just waiting his report.
At the first sense in your comment, i will suggest add more one indicate symbol near lock button, and then i will add a instruction manual into packing ASAP, i think it can help all user when they install it.
For the "jerkiness" point, i think you means you feel a bit tight when focus with Lens, mainly casue is this adapter have some internal parts, many steel bearing beads inside for focus ring, it is very accurate, so it maybe a bit tight at turning when newly, for this case, we oiled and make it more smooth, thus i am sure they will more smooth compare with new time.......
Anyway, i will follow up your case ASAP.
I wish all my customers can happy to use our adapter and enjoy it!:)
Thank you!
Lasjas

S

skywalker

I don't want to make a promotion for KIPON Contax G-m4/3 adapter like some guys in this forum,both KIPON Contax G-m4/3 and Contax G-SONY NEX with big focus ring now are the best in the market,almost every dealer know KIPON is the leading adapter manufacture,even in Japan market,Japan kindai also sell KIPON brand adapter now.

if anyone have interest,can visit them at Image Brazil&Photokina

http://www.dl-kipon.com/onews.asp?id=81

http://www.dl-kipon.com/onews.asp?id=80

Jonas

I don't want to make a promotion for KIPON Contax G-m4/3 adapter like some guys in this forum,both KIPON Contax G-m4/3 and Contax G-SONY NEX with big focus ring now are the best in the market,almost every dealer know KIPON is the leading adapter manufacture,even in Japan market,Japan kindai also sell KIPON brand adapter now.
You don't want to make a promotion? Lol.
As everybody knows the Kipon is the best I wonder why we have this long thread discussing also other adapters.
Anyway, exactly what other G->µ4/3 adapters have you used and compared the Kipon to? Maybe a few words telling us about the differences you found?

/Jonas

Jonas

Hi Jonas,

calm down,the reason for argument always because benifit,you doubt my comment about KIPON,belowed article maybe can give us some refference.
Well, after having read the Google translations and found that the Kipon adapter
KIPON can attach the adapter is easily can be removed easily.
便利になったものです。 Is more useful.
これなら女性や初心者でも扱えるでしょう。 Amateur with women and will do that.

I no longer doubt your comment, now I doubt your sources and your own experience of these adapters, something you are not commenting at all. Just "all dealers knows".

Maybe the Kipon latest incarnation with the champagne focusing ring for better looks with leather cases really is the best. I don't know. But honestly, you don't seem to know either. Maybe that's why you "don't want to make a promotion".

/Jonas