The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

U

uusunn

Thanks.. I didn't know and i'll be sure to post within that thread for any casual pics with the lens!

Here are some relevant pictures for you to get an idea of how it looks on my GF-1.

See the entire set here.

Jonas

hi Jonas,

Sometimes I think you are ridiculas,I'm not a seller,post here before, I have a friend in Shanghai who selling KIPON,my friend let me write some about KIPON in English in internet, I just tell the truth about the feeling of KIPON G adapter,because I also bought a KIPON G adapter,very smooth to use,now I sold EP2,bought a SONY nex5,using 28/2.8,I don't think my picture is good to show here,so I post two link here as below for your refference,a lot of photos they took with KIPON G adapter.They are pro,one is a adapter book writer,the other one is a blog writer ,both famous in Japan camera field.

http://wpfwm407.at.webry.info/201007/article_5.html
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/dressup/20100616_374350.html

I don't know why made you so upset/
If you don't understand why I got upset I actually don't know how to explain that. Don't you get the message; 27 posts all about Kipon adapters being the best is tiresome and like spamming?

Now you posted the exact same two links you posted two days ago and I already commented on them. I didn't know one of them was written by a professional writing a book on adapters - but that doesn't exactly make me go Wow.

Maybe I am ridiculous... maybe the forum is about repeating promotional messages with nothing of value in them. I hope that isn't true however... then I can just as well spend my time reading eBay ads.

/Jonas

Jonas

(...)
Here are some relevant pictures for you to get an idea of how it looks on my GF-1.
So you got the lens safely attached and working?! That's good.
I think the EVF would be a good add-on if you like to use legacy lenses. With the G1 I use the LCD screen only when the camera is on the ground or on a tripod. The EVF is the way to go for manual focusing.

regards,

/Jonas

seakayaker

So you got the lens safely attached and working?! That's good.
I think the EVF would be a good add-on if you like to use legacy lenses. With the G1 I use the LCD screen only when the camera is on the ground or on a tripod. The EVF is the way to go for manual focusing.

regards,

/Jonas
+1

The EVF is great when using the manual lens, it does help with hitting the focus point.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

U

uusunn

Thanks for the photos, it does look good on the GF1!

. . . . . what other contax g lenses do you have beside the 45mm?

If you have more then the 45mm what has been your experience?

Thanks,

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)
Hey,

I only have the 45/2 so far.. I just started taking photos around February so i've only got the kit 14-45mm and decided to go with the Zeiss Planar after much hunting and deliberation :). My in-law has the 20mm 1.7, so I thought i'd try something different for a change. The 45/2 is extremely sharp and definitely lives up to the hype.

As for the 35, 28, and 90.. I don't have those yet, but I want to try out the 28 to see if it'll work without it having to be cut to fit the GF1. Don't know on the consensus on that yet, but i'm curious.. can anyone with metabones and a 28 biogon test it? :cool:

And Jonas.. thanks, I will check out the EVF. That's the next on my list along with the 7-14mm from Panny. Your write-up was great and coming from a guy who's reading comprehension isn't so hot in the first place, that's a very good sign. :)

aleksanderpolo

I know that Koji and Wilson tried the 28 with other adapter, both needing to cut off the rabbit ears. So unless the Metabone has a longer flange distance taking advantage of the G lens' ability to focus pass infinity, I don't see how it can be used without cutting the ears. Perhaps the maker can clarify?

L

lasjashk

Hi, uusunn..... photo #3,#5,#6 look great! ...Yes! your GF1 is cool too!

T

The Nomad

Hello everybody!

It's my first post on this forum.
As I told on another forum dedicated to the m4/3 tools, I bought Lasjas's adapter for Contax G lenses and I'm waiting for it to arrive soon.

My Contax G lenses: 28, 35, 45, 90.

The main reasons to buy the Metabones adapter were the quality of the other Metabones adapters (I got the Leica M one which is perfect), the large focusing tool and the possibility to mount the 28mm (I asked Lasjas about this possibility on the other forum).

I'm very pleased to see that Lasjas answers seriously and quickly to the problems that can occur.

As soon as I get the adapter, I will let you know how it works with my lenses.

Best regards to all members of this interesting forum

apicius9

I couldn't resist, I also ordered the Metabones adapter. Anyone on Oahu who has the Kipon, then we could compare them all? Anyway, I just tried it out on the 45mm and the 90mm and it turns smoothly and evenly whereas I noticed different resistance across the range with the lenswerk and the Monza adapter. Still not leica- like but smoother overall, maybe the resistance is a bit stronger than on themother two and that accounts for the evenness. And it does make the GH1 feel a bit like a Leica because of the extra weight which is more noticeable than I expected. The adapter is also very well built as others have pointed out. So, which one is the best? As usual, I think it is a matter of preference. My first choice would be the Metabones adapter at this time in combination with the GH1. For a smaller camera like the GF1 I would probably prefer the lighter and more compact Monza adapter or the lenswerk adapter - for me they come in head to head, with the Monza adapter scoring on built quality and smoothness, and the lenswerk adapter on compactness and the outer ring focusing which I personally prefer. Now that I have sold my 35mm in a moment of weakness, I have 2 lenses and 3 adapters... I am sure I will keep the Metabones and will sell either one or both of the others.

Stefan

Annna T

Skywalker has 27 comments posted, 26 in this thread and 1 in the NEX thread. The comments in this thread do appear to be from a seller pushing a particular product. Anything he states, for me, is suspect. He does not appear to be a 4/3rds camera user but a supplier pushing his wares.
Sorry for that, but I mistook Skywalker with you Seakayaker, so my comment was written with you (who are posting many pictures) in mind.

Sorry all for my confusion, consider the first part of what I wrote as cancelled.

seakayaker

Sorry for that, but I mistook Skywalker with you Seakayaker, so my comment was written with you (who are posting many pictures) in mind.

Sorry all for my confusion, consider the first part of what I wrote as cancelled.
Annna, no worries.

Life's to short to sweat the small stuff . . . . .

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

ReeRay

Just received my Metabones adapter and confirm it works just fine. Initially the focusing action was a bit gritty, jerky and overall sluggish, but 10 minutes of constant action has freed it up and now it's smooth.

Tricky to fit as others have pointed out but Jonas hit the sequence. Even following that I found I needed a real strong twist (initially) to fit into an indented groove that the lock device marries to but having eventually got it mated I can exchange lenses/adapters quickly.

I suspect that the product (fresh of the line) was just stiff and a few activations cures all.

Tried it with my 35, 45 and 90mm and focus/removal is fine. BUT 21 and 28 will need doctoring so they can stay put.

Recommended.

P

Punchman

Bit the bullet and received the latest version of the Kipon adapter a few days ago. Silvery grey focus ring (my lenses are silver). Works smoothly with my 90mm and 45mm. No problem switching lenses on and off the adapter - just line up the red dots. Focusing mechanism is fine - no rough spots, no slipping, gaps etc. You do have to get used to reaching for the narrow wheel which is closer to the body than a traditional built-in-to-lens focusing ring, but that's the only criticism I have. Wondering if the Metabones focus ring, which appears to be wider in photos, is easier to grasp than the Kipon. Don't have a Metabones version to compare. I am happy with the smoothness of the focus with the Kipon and this was my major concern.

ReeRay

I have the original "small wheel" RJ, the new Kipon "larger wheel" and as above the Metabones.

The Metabones is better for grasping but frankly as far as focusing ease I can't see any difference between all three.

Basically I have one fitted to each of my above lenses and they'll stay there.

Satisfied with all 3 products

U

uusunn

http://vimeo.com/13827189

First video with Metabones + Zeiss Planar 45. The shake is crazy because I have get to get a steadicam but this give you an idea of some more casual use with metabones i think..

Owen_Coors

uusunn, that's quite an impressive video, imo! Amazing, how the music seems to blend perfectly with the atmosphere and scene changes. I really enjoyed it, a lot!
Has anyone tried out the Contax Vario Sonnar with these adapters, yet? I'm minded to go for the latest Kipon ring-focus mount, as I've read only good things in this thread about that one. Do you folks that have this mount still feel like it's "the one" to get? Anyone know specifically if the Kipon ring-focus will work with the Vario Sonnar?

Owen

seakayaker

. . . . . just picked up from the post office the Metabones adaptor for Contax G Lenses.. First impression is that it will be a great adaptor. Took a few attempts to mount the lens but once locked in place and mounted on the GF1 it was easy to focus.

Post some shots in the other thead's in a while. . . . . . got to run for now.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

gmoe

Yup, I couldn't agree more seakayaker.

I know it's probably sacrilegious but I took a deep breathe and cut off my legs on the 21mm and 28mm.

Now here's the weird thing. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me but I attached the Metabones adapter to both the 21mm and the 28mm and I'm seeing very close to edge to edge sharpness. Maybe a tiny bit of vignetting on the sides.

I took off just 5mm on each leg not the whole leg and it still works well. Using the Metabones adapter you just need to cut off 5mm. You have to be good with tools though. I worked as a carpenter in the theater for years so I just took my time and made my cuts carefully.

I'll try to post a few pics. It's nothing like the pics that folks were displaying that showed severe vignetting especially on the 21mm. I'm kinda speechless actually..

I'll post pics in the other thread just to get confirmation from the folks with sharper eyes.

But if it holds true it could be good news. :)

jrosen2

I just received my replacement Metabones adapter. The focusing is smoother and not jerky.

HOWEVER, I cannot get the bl**dy thing on my lens! I was able to fiddle with the one that was replaced however the most I can get the new one on is the equivalent of one f stop off on the aperture dial. I am afraid to force it as the only part you can hold on the adapter is the focusing ring and I do not want to break it.
I tried with a rear lens cap and also with the adapter on the camera. The lens will not attach.
I have about 6 adapters for various lenses from various manufacturers where the lenses easily attach. I have 3 for Contax where this is not a problem.

Am I doing something wrong? The position of the lock switch makes no difference.
Please help!