The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

A

arpoador

seakayaker, I'm glad you've had success with your adapters.

Overall, I really like the design of the Metabones adapter, with the wide focus ring. For a while, I was hoping I could somehow adjust my copy, but the reality is I don't have the tools to fix it. I'd still like to have one, if I could get one that works as well as you describe.

Like mooch, I've uploaded a video clip explaining the problem that I encountered. If someone else on this thread gets a chance to look at it, I'd appreciate your feedback. Is this a problem you've encountered? Or do you see some error in my attachment process?

seakayaker

seakayaker, I'm glad you've had success with your adapters.

Overall, I really like the design of the Metabones adapter, with the wide focus ring. For a while, I was hoping I could somehow adjust my copy, but the reality is I don't have the tools to fix it. I'd still like to have one, if I could get one that works as well as you describe.

Like mooch, I've uploaded a video clip explaining the problem that I encountered. If someone else on this thread gets a chance to look at it, I'd appreciate your feedback. Is this a problem you've encountered? Or do you see some error in my attachment process?
I watched your video twice and you were experiencing the exact same symptoms when I could not keep the lens attached to the adaptor.

During the video I did not see you attempt to focus the lens. Was the screw properly seated in the slot and were you able to move (focus) the lens?

It did take me several attempts to attach both the 45/2 and 90/2.8 before they seated in the adaptor and I could focus smoothly.

As a FYI, I bought my two adaptors on separate dates. The first was ordered on August 2nd and the second on August 18th. It would be interesting to know if lasjashk could confirm if the adaptors in question all came from the same manufacturing lot or different lots.

I wish I could be of help and provide you with a answer but I am at a loss. Best I can do is send along a good thought and hope that you can resolve the issue with the adaptor.

As you already know the Contax G lenses are wonderful!

. . . . . and they fit well on my GF1.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

P

Punchman

Arpoador, thanks for posting the video of mounting the Metabones adapter. It really made me appreciate how easy I've had it with the third version of the Kippon adapter. I have switched my two Contax G lens on and off the adapter numerous times without any difficulty or delay. I never paid attention to the aperture indicator alignment when the lens was unmounted. After watching your video I checked and both lenses are normally out of aperture indicator alignment when not mounted but go into proper alignment when they are mounted onto the Kippon adapter or the original Contax-G camera body.

M

mooch

I just got my replacement metabones adapter this morning. This time the lens was a breeze to fit. The mount easily rotated far enough into the correct lock position with only a small amount of force neccessary. There is a night and day difference between my first and second copies.

L

lasjashk

I just got my replacement metabones adapter this morning. This time the lens was a breeze to fit. The mount easily rotated far enough into the correct lock position with only a small amount of force neccessary. There is a night and day difference between my first and second copies.
That's good! thank's mooch!:)

BillN

Hi guys

Iv'e just registered

I have a 45/2 that I would like to use on my EP-1/G1

Which adapter - I have read through the thread - it seems to be a Kippon or Metabones, and probably the latter

I'm in France - so I am sure that the friendly French customs will charge me duty

Is EBay the best route to buy a Metabones

Sorry if I am asking a question that has already been asked a number of times

Thanks

seakayaker

Hi guys

Iv'e just registered

I have a 45/2 that I would like to use on my EP-1/G1

Which adapter - I have read through the thread - it seems to be a Kippon or Metabones, and probably the latter

I'm in France - so I am sure that the friendly French customs will charge me duty

Is EBay the best route to buy a Metabones

Sorry if I am asking a question that has already been asked a number of times

Thanks

You may just want to deal directly with lasjashk on this thread since he sells metabones adaptors. He was offering a small discount to members of four/thirds forum community when ordering. Send him a PM and he will let you know how to order. Easy to deal with and I received my adaptor within 5 days from Hong Kong.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

A

arpoador

Mooch wrote:
And Lasjas replied:
That's good! thank's mooch!:)
Lasjas sent me a PM (on mu-43) telling me to return mine for a refund. I am planning to send it back on Tuesday, after the holiday. I would prefer, though, to get a replacement like Mooch did. I did shell out for the (more expensive) Kipon ring adapter, and that works well enough that I now realize the lens is fine. On the other hand, the focus ring is much thinner and smoother than that of the Metabones, so I would much rather have a replacement instead of a refund.

D

dbloewen

Monza
I have sent you several emails regarding the Contax G to MFT adapter. Have you received them as well as the parcel I sent Aug 05?
[email protected]

Regards
Dave

S

skywalker

I didn't come to this thread for a long time,very suprised why some people still don't feel tired when they try to explain again and again ,to cover their shortcoming of their defective product.

I still suggest you to buy KIPON,no return ,even somebody look me as their promoter, feel upset.

seakayaker

I didn't come to this thread for a long time,very suprised why some people still don't feel tired when they try to explain again and again ,to cover their shortcoming of their defective product.

I still suggest you to buy KIPON,no return ,even somebody look me as their promoter, feel upset.

. . . . . you are a promoter, you have posted 29 times on this forum, all of your posts promote Kipon adaptors.

To be honest you are the primary reason I would not try a Kipon . . . . .

. . . . . try being a member instead of an on-line one-man spam machine.

By the way, the Monza adaptor and Metabones adaptors work just fine, for me anyway . . . . .

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

S

skywalker

. . . . . you are a promoter, you have posted 29 times on this forum, all of your posts promote Kipon adaptors.

To be honest you are the primary reason I would not try a Kipon . . . . .

. . . . . try being a member instead of an on-line one-man spam machine.

By the way, the Monza adaptor and Metabones adaptors work just fine, for me anyway . . . . .

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

You are a idiot.

Annna T

Lasjas sent me a PM (on mu-43) telling me to return mine for a refund. I am planning to send it back on Tuesday, after the holiday. I would prefer, though, to get a replacement like Mooch did. I did shell out for the (more expensive) Kipon ring adapter, and that works well enough that I now realize the lens is fine. On the other hand, the focus ring is much thinner and smoother than that of the Metabones, so I would much rather have a replacement instead of a refund.
Hi,

I'm not sure to understand what you mean : on one side you write that the third generation and more expensive Kipon adapter is thinner and smoother than the Metabones, but one the other side you say that you'd rather get a Metabones ?

So are you happy with the Kipon adapter ? or would you rather prefer a Metabones (I thought that you had problems with it ?).

I ask because my second generation Kipon adapter is somewhat rough at times and on the 90mm it is not always easy to focus with and I'd like to try a ring adapter on it. The Metabones from the spec is heavier, so I'd prefer to have the lighter Kipon if it is really an improvement over the second generation.

A

arpoador

Hi Anna -

I've never used the 2nd gen Kipon, so I can't comment on that one.

I got to play with the Metabones a bit before sending it out for replacement, and the focusing with it was very even and ergonomically comfortable. Not as good as a regular focusing ring on an SLR legacy lens, but "smooth" feeling enough to make it very comfortable to use. As I stated above, my "only" beef with that adapter is that I got a defective copy, and the lens did not go far enough into the adapter to reach the lock tab. Thus I only took pix while holding the camera over my bed, so that there would be no damage when the lens fell off! I'm hoping that this was a one-off quality control problem, and that Lasjas will send me a replacement that actually works. :)

As for the Kipon, I guess "smooth" was the wrong word. I was referring to the surface texture, rather than the operation flow, so maybe what I meant was "frictionless", or "slippery". I did not intend that to seem like a positive attribute. Basically, unless my hand is completely clean and dry, it's hard to grip and turn the very thin polished ring, with gentle indentations that seem purely ornamental. It's definitely lighter than the Metabones, so if that's your priority, you should take a look at it. I just find that using it makes my hands hurt, since I have to grip the ring so hard. I actually tried wrapping a rubber band around it, but could not get it to stay on (slippery, like I said).

That's why I prefer the -design- of the Metabones. It has a rough, well knurled surface, so gripping it is easy and focusing is comfortable.

Hi,

I'm not sure to understand what you mean : on one side you write that the third generation and more expensive Kipon adapter is thinner and smoother than the Metabones, but one the other side you say that you'd rather get a Metabones ?

So are you happy with the Kipon adapter ? or would you rather prefer a Metabones (I thought that you had problems with it ?).

I ask because my second generation Kipon adapter is somewhat rough at times and on the 90mm it is not always easy to focus with and I'd like to try a ring adapter on it. The Metabones from the spec is heavier, so I'd prefer to have the lighter Kipon if it is really an improvement over the second generation.

seakayaker

Hi,

Annna, I can not speak to how the Kipon adaptor works since I have never used it.

I do have first hand experience with both the Monza and Metabones adaptors.

I have samples of photos I have taken with the GF1 and adaptor with the 45/2 here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26672618@N03/sets/72157623906021841/with/4903160158/

I have samples of photos taken with the GF1 and adaptor with the 90/2.8 here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26672618@N03/sets/72157624067056496/

Photos posted dated August 12th and after for both lenses were shot with the GF1 with Metabones adaptor.

As a user of the Metabones adaptor it does allow me to reach the focus point with the two lenses quickly, certainly quicker then with the Monza adaptor. It is not as good as a native focus ring on a manual lens but does work very well.

I have no affiliation with either sellor of the two adaptors I have used. The Monza adaptor works, my experience was that it just required more patience to reach focus. The Metabones adaptor was an improvement on the Monza adaptor with the wheel focus ring, easy to grip and to turn. I do not find the weight to be an issue at all.

Good luck with the adaptor you choose, please let us know about your choice and your experience!

The Contax G lenses are sweet and I think we would all love something that was a 100% guarantee that the adaptor we choose would allow us to get the maximun benefit from the lens we use.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

A

arpoador

The Metabones adapter is great!

My replacement Metabones adapter arrived today (just four days after he received the original? wow!).

I was originally a bit concerned because Lasjas said that adapter I returned worked fine on his 90mm, and because in several weeks I completely failed to make it work on my 45mm.

The replacement adapter works beautifully! :)

It went on smoothly the very first time I tried, and fits like a glove. In fact, it was so easy that at first I thought I hadn't rotated the lens all the way. I actually had to check to see that the lock tab & slot matched, then I locked it and the lens stayed on.

Now that I have a copy that works, I realize that the Metabones adapter is much better than the Kipon. First it has a wider grip region, that is much easier to turn and control. Makes focusing much better than on the slippery Kipon ring.

In addition, the Kipon lock release lever is designed to be in exactly the wrong spot. It blocks access to the lens release button on the Lumix G2, making it harder to take the lens (and adapter assembly) off of the camera.